Thread: Rear Bar and TowBar Options

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rear Bar and TowBar Options

Just got a GQ and noticed it doesnt have a towbar
    What options are there for aftermarket rear bars/towbars? Do some aftermarket bars have the towbar built in to them or is it always separate? My stocker rear bar has been hit hence why im looking at upgrading.
    '93 GQ currently with zero additions
    '83 MQ with 308 conversion, for sale.
    PowerSlideRacing.com.au

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 13,496 Times in 6,599 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    you will probably pick up a Haymen Reece tow bar for $50 to $150 off ebay mate, the rear bar centre come up sometimes too.

I made a rear bar and incorporated a tow bar into it and a number of rear bars have this too. Many rear bars just make a replacement bar and keep the tow bar too though. Depends how much clearance you need
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,496 Times in 6,599 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Here is one on Ebay and it looks like the wreck also has the bar centre your after mate

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NISSAN-PATROL-TOWBAR-GQ-
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK looks like ill have to do some looking around, a basic 2nd hand towbar will get me going but thought since the bar is also damaged i could do 2 things at once blingy bar and towbar in one.
    PowerSlideRacing.com.au

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ebay would get you a cheap bar, or Gumtree classifieds.
    Tow bar alone would be the cheapest option, but rear bars start somewhere about $1500 and go up from there.
    Unless you make, or have one made which is a far cheaper option
    06 GU IV Nissan Patrol wagon 3.0L, Tough Dog 2" lift, Xrox bar, 12k Mako winch, 33" muddies, 3" exhaust, Awning, UHF, drawers & fridge, custom sliders, DVDs, custom water tank and pump, rack etc etc.
    Now just in - GQ Shorty 4.2 petrol, UHF - but looking at turbo or V8 conversion

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a quick note here.. take into consideration your rear springs when mounting anything other that a standard bar, my mate only put 100+ springs in the rear when he did his lift, he bought a Kaymar rear bar with duel wheel carriers, its ok when he aint loaded but if he has some crap in the back the ass sits way lower than it should...

If your stocker bar is FUBAR, i would say grab the bits you need from the wreckers to fix it and get a towbar of ebay or gumtree ( good thing about about having a 3 part rear bar ), I just put a new Hayman Reese on mine it set me back $480 ( i installed it )

new kaymar bars cost a small fortune...
    I am spending my children's inheritance on my 92 GQ PATROL .. and by the time they get it, it will have way to many kilometers on the clock, and it wont be worth anything

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm ok, I've been given a lead on a Kaymar bar that ive been told will be a good price but yet to here what that is price is yet.
    PowerSlideRacing.com.au

Thanks
    Thanked 5,352 Times in 3,170 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Saw a thread a while back saying that some brands don't reccomend using stabilizer bars, this may influence your choice.
    My advice is: not to follow my advice.