Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Inverters

Thanks
    Thanked 7,403 Times in 2,995 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No you can still have good coffee at camp. There are heaps of different coffee makers which don't rely on electricity, many are quite bulky or fragile(glass) though.

As I said before, the Aeropress is pretty good (& doesn't cost an arm & a leg). I also have a Porlex hand grinder (pictured here) which stores nicely inside the Aeropress to save space.
    Another recommended to me for a 'proper' espresso is the Portapresso. You'd need to be sitting down before you check out it's price though! Certainly not in the same price range as the Aeropress! (10 times the price).

I also have one of these which is pretty good once you've mastered the technique to suit your taste.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Cuppa; 22nd May 2013 at 09:18 AM.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And yet another view, this one with direct experience of the Aldi machine in a mobile situation.

Hi all, thought I would share my experience with the Aldi machine on an inverter. I installed a 2500w pure sine inverter in our Eyre M/H connected to the truck battery via a couple of 90A relays (one each for pos. and neg. legs to handle the current) which is controlled inside the M/H by a small switch near the remote power point plugged into the inverter. Using this setup I can have two short blacks or Chai Lattes made in less than two minutes from scratch. It draws a lot of current but only for very short periods and is up to temperature in around 20 seconds. The reason for using the truck battery is that it is designed for short very high current draws (as in starting the vehicle), unlike the house batteries which are the opposite style of battery. If I need to make more than 3 or 4 coffees I just start the engine before using the machine. If frothed milk is required we use the Aldi frother which is very good and uses very little power. To be honest, especially if you choose the right pods the coffee is pretty darn close to that we have at home from our $2500 DeLonghi machine, and in the middle of nowhere!

This is in a fiat Ducato based Winnebago with 12v starter battery.
    Last edited by Cuppa; 22nd May 2013 at 10:58 AM.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

MEGOMONSTER (22nd May 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,115 Times in 2,901 Posts
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa View Post
    And yet another view, this one with direct experience of the Aldi machine in a mobile situation.

Hi all, thought I would share my experience with the Aldi machine on an inverter. I installed a 2500w pure sine inverter in our Eyre M/H connected to the truck battery via a couple of 90A relays (one each for pos. and neg. legs to handle the current) which is controlled inside the M/H by a small switch near the remote power point plugged into the inverter. Using this setup I can have two short blacks or Chai Lattes made in less than two minutes from scratch. It draws a lot of current but only for very short periods and is up to temperature in around 20 seconds. The reason for using the truck battery is that it is designed for short very high current draws (as in starting the vehicle), unlike the house batteries which are the opposite style of battery. If I need to make more than 3 or 4 coffees I just start the engine before using the machine. If frothed milk is required we use the Aldi frother which is very good and uses very little power. To be honest, especially if you choose the right pods the coffee is pretty darn close to that we have at home from our $2500 DeLonghi machine, and in the middle of nowhere!

This is in a fiat Ducato based Winnebago with 12v starter battery.
    So with your experience do you think I could do it. I am pretty sure my dual battery is not a deep cycle battery but a high performance cranking battery.
    (Will check after work to be clear).

If car is running at the same time does this help with the current.

It's just I am still liking the idea of good no fuss coffee in the mornings.

I am at the moment trying sms'ing a mate to borrow a geni but I'm pretty sure he won't let me crake it, he is very anal about people borrowing shit. Always ringing next day for it back.
    But it's right for him to borrow shit off others and not return for 3 months but I won't bring that up.
    2011 GU8 ST 3.0 CRD, ARB Bullbar with IPF spotties, scrub bars and side steps, Snorkel, Dual Battery system, Waeco fridge, Turbo Timer, ARB Roof Rack with 5 IPF spotties across the front, Custom full Leather Bucket seats, DPchip, 3" Taipan exhaust, ARE Intercooler & scoop, Autron EGT/Boost and dual volt gauges, ARB front locker.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MEGOMONSTER For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (22nd May 2013)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MEGOMONSTER View Post
    So with your experience do you think I could do it.
    Possibly, but to be honest I wouldn't choose too
    My choice would be (is) the Aeropress at $45. It gives a good result, just not one with a crema. If you prefer latte an Aldi milk frother doesn't draw much power & would run off a small (& much cheaper inverter which you could plug into a cig lighter socket. This together with an aeropress would keep you happy I reckon.
    By the time you have bought a decent inverter, plus the heavy cabling & circuit breaker & relay you'll have probably spent as much as a small gennie would cost you. I'm not a lover of gennies for camping, but they are a lot more versatile than a big inverter connected to your batteries & don't run the risk of sending your batteries to an early grave.

Cuppa

A Nomadic Life (Blog)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers Cuppa, really appreciate your help.
    Will have to think of something else now.
    2011 GU8 ST 3.0 CRD, ARB Bullbar with IPF spotties, scrub bars and side steps, Snorkel, Dual Battery system, Waeco fridge, Turbo Timer, ARB Roof Rack with 5 IPF spotties across the front, Custom full Leather Bucket seats, DPchip, 3" Taipan exhaust, ARE Intercooler & scoop, Autron EGT/Boost and dual volt gauges, ARB front locker.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Btw - your mate's gennie, if you can get it will need to be at least a 2kva one. If you were headed down Gippsland way I was going to offer the lend of my Honda Eu10i (1 kva) but then realised it wouldn't be big enough. Whole different ball game once you go off grid eh?

Cuppa

A Nomadic Life (Blog)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa View Post
    Btw - your mate's gennie, if you can get it will need to be at least a 2kva one. If you were headed down Gippsland way I was going to offer the lend of my Honda Eu10i (1 kva) but then realised it wouldn't be big enough. Whole different ball game once you go off grid eh?

Cuppa
    Thanks for the offer anyway, I've survived the last 20 years without one, I'm sure I'll survive 20 more.
    It's only the boys going anyway, no woman or children.
    Just wanted to surprise then with a small luxury.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    X2 on the aeropress it's cheap, durable and makes a great brew. Also it's super easy to clean.
    2012 GU8 Polar White Auto ST Patrol, Factory Bull bar, Scangauge 2, EGR blanked, Milford cargo barrier, Outback ideas recovery points, Micks retrofit HID 3 inch projectors with Osram bulbs and 55w ballasts, GME TXE3420, Sidewinder dual battery with monitor, Windcheetah 2.0m alloy rack, Suspension Stuff 2" Flexy lift with SS Monotubes, MT ATZ 4 ribs 265/75R16 on black Dynamic rims, Custom rear draws with fridge slide.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good news, I have a 2kva Honda generator to take camping this queens birthday weekend.
    Freshly brewed coffee in the mornings now at camp.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to MEGOMONSTER For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (22nd May 2013)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast