Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

UHF not working when ignition switched on

Morning fellas

Im stumped.. I hooked up a GME TX4400 cb yesterday straight to the battery so it can remain on when ignition switched off.. all good this works great when ignition is off, however as soon as I switch the ignition on I cant hear any converstions any more.. turn ignition off, hear conversation again... any thoughts on what could be the problem as its doing my head in
    2007 TI Patrol

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

a member of the menagerie MC97GQ's Avatar
    Nimmitabel in the deep, deep south of NSW
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lagoonboy,

Does it do it with the engine running or does it do it with just ignition on. Is it just muting the conversation or is the unit turning off.

Also what motor does your patrol have in it petrol or diesel.

I know I haven't helped but it might assist others to pin point the problem more accurately.

Mark
    Proud former owner of a 1997 White GQ TD42 Patrol Cab Chassis with an after market turbo, now with over half a million k's and still going strong, that's had a heart transplant and now not owned by me

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MC97GQ For This Useful Post:

lagoonboy (17th March 2013)

a member of the menagerie MC97GQ's Avatar
    Nimmitabel in the deep, deep south of NSW
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mate just another question,

Did you take both positive and earth direct from the battery.

Mark
    Proud former owner of a 1997 White GQ TD42 Patrol Cab Chassis with an after market turbo, now with over half a million k's and still going strong, that's had a heart transplant and now not owned by me

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MC97GQ For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,546 Times in 1,116 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Where did you connect the earth wire to?

If you connected it to a wire in the dash try connecting it to a metal panel instead.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Yendor For This Useful Post:

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your responses.... I fluked the fix.... The gadget you connect to the cig socket had a ipod connector tuned to a frequency. I discovered when I removed this from the socket the cb worked... put in in it didnt.... changed the frequency on the ipod connector and presto all fixed...

Just to answer you queries.... the motor is the 3L diesel...The unit didnt actually turn off when I turned on the ignition I just lost all transmission. I connected the +ve staright to the battery and the earth to a plate located under the dash near the brake pedal.... Now I can enjoy my Sunday!! Many thanks again... hopefully this may help someone else down the track cos it just didnt make sense at all

Cheers
    2007 TI Patrol

10. The Following User Says Thank You to lagoonboy For This Useful Post:

MC97GQ (17th March 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,442 Times in 6,265 Posts
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Re: UHF not working when ignition switched on

Wow how weird is that. I've got another weird one. When I have my phone plugged into the cig plug and charging, I lose all radio reception. CB works fine but I mean the music radio.

If you're happy and you know it tap a post!

Thanks
    Thanked 13,523 Times in 6,609 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
    Wow how weird is that. I've got another weird one. When I have my phone plugged into the cig plug and charging, I lose all radio reception. CB works fine but I mean the music radio.

Hey Chris,

That's a little odd mate, given the guy you bought it off was an auto elec I'd give him a bell and see what he reckons? He might have set up the radio in some strange way??

Bloody Auto Elecs mate! They are all Bonkers!

While your talking to him tell him about your Dyno numbers and see if he can give you his expectation of best reading for you to have another chat with you tuner.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,546 Times in 1,116 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Winnie View Post

Does it also do it if you push a cigarette lighter in?.

Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    Hey Chris,

That's a little odd mate, given the guy you bought it off was an auto elec I'd give him a bell and see what he reckons? He might have set up the radio in some strange way??

Bloody Auto Elecs mate! They are all Bonkers!

While your talking to him tell him about your Dyno numbers and see if he can give you his expectation of best reading for you to have another chat with you tuner.

AHEM...........errrrrr...........yeah fair call lol

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Yendor For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (17th March 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,049 Times in 3,198 Posts
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would say it is causing interference, I have the same thing happen as Winnie does- loose radio recption when charging phone.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All these issues just sound like harmonic issues. Sometimes they can be avoided simply by moving one of the devices or something as simple as changing the channel on the radio. This will prove if the issue is with the actual frequency of the radio station itself, or if it is to do with the emmissions being spat out from the phone (more than likely). As a test you could try plugging the phone (if it's charged through a cig lighter) to the rear of the car and seeing if the same problem is caused creating some distance between the devices. If there is an antenna connected to the phone as well try changing the location of the antenna. Absolute worst case scenario; and I've only ever experienced it once in my life is chop a couple of millimetres off the antenna cable and refit it. It could be perfect radio wavelengths causing the issue.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast