Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: GQ Head Cracks?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GQ Head Cracks?

So I finally got myself a GQ (93 model) after 12 months of wanting, I picked one up for only $2k but knowing it wasn't running due to a head problem. I figured for that price even possibly having to fit a 2nd hand motor its still a cheap GQ
    I was told it split a hose and ran hot and possibly had a cracked head or damaged gasket. The oil is milky.
    Upon disassembly it is clear cylinders 3 and 4 have taken in coolant and this corresponds with marks on the head and damage to the gasket. What I dont know yet is where the water is getting into the oil. I cant see any obvious cracks but I dont know where I should be looking or even if they would be visible?
    The head itself is only 12 months old so is not corroded. I'm hoping to get it going with minimal expense as the motor has done 320 000 and will have had a fair bit more taken of its life now.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 4,666 Times in 3,125 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: GQ Head Cracks?

Any sign of coolent in head? If not could be a possible cracked block..

Kallen Westbrook
    Owner of
    Westy's Accessories
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if your head is cracked there will be white color in your exhuast ports
    07 crd,,bridgestone 697lt, 2.75 buedesert ex, SOLD theres a lot of my blood, sweat and money in that troll.

92 gq ti tb42efi my brothers gq extractors dual batteries brake controller uhf alloy bullbar SOLD with a heavy heart but gone to a nice young fella

13 y62 the beast that burbles

Thanks
    Thanked 5,663 Times in 3,158 Posts
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Won't be so much a cracked block but could be a cracked liner. It will be hard to see a cracked head as to get that much mixing it will going back into the oil anything that comes through the ports will be burnt. Was there any fluid in the pots you said were at fault? Getting a head crack tested is pretty cheap these days.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Westy's Accessories View Post
    Any sign of coolent in head? If not could be a possible cracked block..

Kallen Westbrook
    Owner of
    Westy's Accessories
    Cracked blocks are rare. I think chances are it's the head as most of the time.
    RB30, some 2-3 inch lift auxiliary LPG tanks
    Few more mods on the way
    http://www.worldwildlife.org/species/tiger
    https://www.panthera.org/
    Cheetah Outreach

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is the thing mate.
    Usually you can find it by carefully examining the head, block and the gasket.

In anyway, would have it pressure tested by taking it to machine shop. You need to take take the cam shaft off to do that, but it's worth the trouble. Looks like you've done that already.

You can take a chance and clean it up and put it back with a new gasket. But, I wouldn't. It is not uncommon to have cracks inside where you can't see them at all. If the machine shop guy finds cracks, then get him to test it whether it's worth welding and machining it. Make sure you get hold of the manual and check whether it's been machined previously upto the limit. Over machining can stuff up the bottom end. But, you can get a thicker head gasket to fix that problem(to reduce the compression), but I wouldn't do that.
    Recondition head is around $600. Pressure test should be just over $50. You should be able to get it pressure tested, then if there are any cracks, get it welded and machined for around $250, depend on where the cracks are.
    I would put a change over recondition head. But, you gota make sure the bottom end is not heavily worn out. But, if it's an RB30, I would say it should be good for the kms it's done. Mine has done over 300k and still got good compression.
    You need a torque wrench. Some guys do that with the feeling, but that comes with experience though.

Haynes manual got all the information you need to do a 'head job'.

You can download it here, or let me know your email, I can email.

Be careful when you tighten the head bolts. If you see any of them badly rusted, you may want to replace. 'cos if they breaks, then you end with a whole lot of headaches. Also, if you decide to put the head back on without any tests or machining, make sure to be careful when scrape off the old gasket bits from the head.
    The alluminium head can easily get scratched by scrapers, then you won't have any choice but machining it.

If it's TB or TD42, it's good practice to adjust the valve clearance before putting the rocker cover on..
    Last edited by dom14; 19th March 2013 at 03:57 PM.
    Few more mods on the way
    Cheetah Outreach

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure where you are.
    In Melbourne, "All Head Services" have really good deals on reconditioned heads. They deliver for free as well(last time I checked)
    Few more mods on the way
    Cheetah Outreach

Thanks
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dom14 View Post
    Here is the thing mate.
    Usually you can find it by carefully examining the head, block and the gasket.

In anyway, would have it pressure tested by taking it to machine shop. You need to take take the cam shaft off to do that, but it's worth the trouble. Looks like you've done that already.

You can take a chance and clean it up and put it back with a new gasket. But, I wouldn't. It is not uncommon to have cracks inside where you can't see them at all. If the machine shop guy finds cracks, then get him to test it whether it's worth welding and machining it. Make sure you get hold of the manual and check whether it's been machined previously upto the limit. Over machining can stuff up the bottom end. But, you can get a thicker head gasket to fix that problem(to reduce the compression), but I wouldn't do that.
    Recondition head is around $600. Pressure test should be just over $50. You should be able to get it pressure tested, then if there are any cracks, get it welded and machined for around $250, depend on where the cracks are.
    I would put a change over recondition head. But, you gota make sure the bottom end is not heavily worn out. But, if it's an RB30, I would say it should be good for the kms it's done. Mine has done over 300k and still got good compression.
    You need a torque wrench. Some guys do that with the feeling, but that comes with experience though.

Haynes manual got all the information you need to do a 'head job'.

You can download it here, or let me know your email, I can email.

Be careful when you tighten the head bolts. If you see any of them badly rusted, you may want to replace. 'cos if they breaks, then you end with a whole lot of headaches. Also, if you decide to put the head back on without any tests or machining, make sure to be careful when scrape off the old gasket bits from the head.
    The alluminium head can easily get scratched by scrapers, then you won't have any choice but machining it.

It it's TB or TD42, it's good practice to adjust the valve clearance before putting the rocker cover on..
    Im pretty sure these aren't a overhead cam engine.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to nissannewby For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (19th March 2013)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers, i dropped it off to get tested this morning they said $165 to test it, face it and check the valve seats. I'm reasonably confident it will turn out to be just the gasket that failed. They also quoted me about $200 for new gaskets and head bolts, I dont know if thats good or not I havn't checked anywhere else yet? They also said the bolts are angular torqued, does this require a special tool? I have a very good torque wrench and have rebuilt a few motors before but have never come across angular torquing.
    '93 GQ currently with zero additions
    '83 MQ with 308 conversion, for sale.
    PowerSlideRacing.com.au

Thanks
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Those prices sound pretty fair mate.

With angular torqueing you well have an initial figure say 60nm then they will go say 60 degrees on all then another 120 degrees on them. You can do this by simply marking the bolts and your socket with a pen. For example if you have a hex bolt each point is 60 degrees so you mark a start point and a finish point and turn it that far.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nissannewby For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (19th March 2013), Bloodyaussie (18th March 2013), Irish (19th March 2013)

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast