Thread: 16 and 17 inch alloys on 2003 3.0D - UK edition

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

16 and 17 inch alloys on 2003 3.0D - UK edition

So I new to forum and just picked up my '03 a couple of days back. I have oil dripping onto near side inside front tyre and reckon I got CV seal leak.

I had to get couple new tires and now safer ride.

So I waited a week watching 5 Patrol 17 inch alloys on ebay and in last min secured the 5 for 80 quid UK.

My motor has 16 inch with 265/70. Bought spare set for winter tyres. Live on north island in Scotland called Isle of Skye. So need cold weather tires. And here is what I bought.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nissan-pat...-/200904420094

So am a bit thick and assume if I fit 17 inch tire I need to drop profile to accommodate space in wheel arch and not bottom out onto tire.

Thing is I not know what I can fit .... Wider tire / same or lower profile. Can't seem. To find 265/60/17 tho seems there are 65 and 70 but do they fit?

Any suggestions welcome? Did I get a good price on 2nd hand wheels or what ? What model are they from though?

Cheers

Grim

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 1,037 Times in 846 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great price Grim,

You will be able to fit larger tyres easily. I run 285/70/17 which are the equivalent of 33", but it will scrub on the front mudflap on full lock. Others run 305/70/17 and even larger, but you will need to add spacers in your control arms to stop them scrubbing, or cut the mudflaps.

Mic
    GU PATROL 2011 Ti, with goodies...

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mic ....

Thanks for reply and your insight and knowledge. The car came with steel spare with 255/70/16 and tire guy said that I shouldn't run on spare too long as might play with the diff. I not follow as he went onto state that profile/width has ratio and not as I thought simply just a thicker 'slice of bread' on one hoof.

Odd I got this steel spare as thought my Aussie (dual tank - unlike my now UK model of 3 years later) 2000 had matching alloy. Reckon dealer / previous owner messed with spare wheel. Also possible UK models from different country of origin/manufacturer than your true blue fellas.

And so my tire guy today offered me an interesting thought... So I have an odd steel 255/70/16 spare in steel on back door. He suggested narrower tire might be to accommodate rear door wheel bracket and surrounding door skin.... Leading me to believe that the bigger the wheel (as I just bought), the wider the tire (under consideration), then maybe the rear door mount might not cope with a real big fat boy up back.

The wheels I bought have fixed diameter across rims so I thought that there would be limit on tire width up top so as not to deform shape of tire wall..... But then again I no smart on this subject.

Cheers Grim

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

Grim,

Those rims you have, are the same as ours here is Australia, and these rims have been on our vehicles from around 2007 till now - they are the same on our GU Patrols off the showroom floor.

Mic

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Grim,

This is what your rims would look like with slightly bigger rubber

news2004_OL%20Midland%20Patrol%20web[1].jpg

Not my vehicle, as I would have to resize pictures, but it gives you an idea.

We add a spacer on the rear tyre bracket to make the rear tyre fit on the door.

Mic

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,830 Times in 1,250 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These are the spacers that also raise the larger diamiter tyre off the rear bumper
    http://www.roadrunneroffroad.com.au/...-tyre-4x4.html
    And if you want larger rubber with out the rubbing on the mud flaps either remove them or fit radius arm spacers or get a higher lift lol
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Radius-ar...ht_1381wt_1000