Thread: E locker vs air locker

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

E locker vs air locker

Hey Patrolers, i am about to fit twin lockers to my GU3 and i am leaning towards fitting the Eaton E locker over the Air locker, i like the idea of not requiring a compressor to engage them as with the E locker it uses electro magnetics to engage (if i have power i have lockers) and if their is an issue or failure it returns to the open/ unlocked position, i have done some research on them and they appear to be of good quality (detroit lockers having a solid reputation developed over years) these are the new type NOT auto lockers but engaged via switches same as air lockers, has anybody on here had them fitted and how do they perform for you? Thanks for any info on these lockers. Ben.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,277 Times in 3,275 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heard only good things about the E-locker... thats my 10 cents.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Bloodyaussie For This Useful Post:

Ben81C (9th March 2013)

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go E-lockers and avoid air lockers leaks.
    Cheers

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Rumcajs For This Useful Post:

Ben81C (9th March 2013)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Save your cash patrols don't need rear lockers unless a comp rig. LSD and front locker FTW maybe shim the LSD if you want it really tight. If you lock the rear its just an open diff on road and I prefer the feel of an lsd on road for traction and safety.
    I'd got e locker over air no annoying compressor noise less leaks etc.
    Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward.
    Whoever cannot take care of themselves without that law is both.
    For a wounded man shall say to his assailant,
    'If I live, I will kill you. If I die, You are forgiven.'
    Such is the rule of honour.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to macca86 For This Useful Post:

Ben81C (9th March 2013)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the e locker uses a lil motor to move the locking ring, its the same design they used in the ford 2 speed diff, i haven't had a chance to play with one yet, but if the motor does die (the older ones where pretty well sealed) you could manually turn the motor shaft and engage or disengage.
    the arb air lockers are prone to leak, but the sliding ring seal has been revised, the biggest problems is people dont use them enough and as such the seal goes hard. they are an easy fix, i did 1 in 5 years.
    the lsd in the patrols are very good as macca pointed out.
    at the end of the day its up to you, i personally prefer air lockers, as air isnt affected by water. slow leak? run a tank. and depending where ur wheeling, you can have problems finding parts for a detroit.
    hope this helps

Thanks
    Thanked 4,665 Times in 3,125 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: E locker vs air locker

Quote Originally Posted by jimmi View Post
    the e locker uses a lil motor to move the locking ring, its the same design they used in the ford 2 speed diff, i haven't had a chance to play with one yet, but if the motor does die (the older ones where pretty well sealed) you could manually turn the motor shaft and engage or disengage.
    the arb air lockers are prone to leak, but the sliding ring seal has been revised, the biggest problems is people dont use them enough and as such the seal goes hard. they are an easy fix, i did 1 in 5 years.
    at the end of the day its up to you, i personally prefer air lockers, as air isnt affected by water. slow leak? run a tank. and depending where ur wheeling, you can have problems finding parts for a detroit.
    hope this helps
    Pretty sure e lockers are electromagnetic, no motors..

Edit, confirmed..

The ELocker's electromagnetic locking mechanism is the next generation of aftermarket differential technology. Performs as an open differential until you decide that you need more traction. Eaton ELocker is your push button solution to almost any traction problem.

Designed expressly for 4-wheel drive systems to give you the ability to lock or unlock the differentials when necessary. When locked the Eaton ELocker performs as a full locker, capturing 100% of available torque and sending it equally to both ends of the axle.

The ELocker is built with precision-forged gears that are designed to mesh perfectly, providing improved strength and durability over a standard cut gear. Its ease of installation, reliability and push-button activation make ELocker an absolute must for all traction and off-road performance applications.
    http://www.eaton.com/Eaton/ProductsS...als/PCT_221472

Kallen Westbrook
    Owner of
    Westy's Accessories
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigRAWesty For This Useful Post:

Bigcol (13th February 2015), macca (19th March 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,883 Times in 3,670 Posts
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimmi View Post
    hope this helps
    Yeah as kallen has posted, e lockers use an electro magnet to lock. So no chance of the motor dying. I like the idea because:
    1, if you break the wire you can simply join it back together(try doing that with an air line)
    2, if the engine isn't putting 12volts to the locker then you've got bigger things to worry about than locking the wheels.
    3, most people carry jumper packs and jumper leads these days so getting power isn't that hard.
    4, far less things to go wrong, ie: no compressor just two wires and a switch.

FanTapstic!
    Hello from Under Down Under!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to taslucas For This Useful Post:

Bloodyaussie (18th March 2013)

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,277 Times in 3,275 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^ what he said but in a deeper voice!!!!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Bloodyaussie For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (18th March 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,665 Times in 3,125 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your right BR. Not to many air failures, from my eyes its more the maintenance.
    I've seen a few which have small internal leaks from the style of entry threw the diff.. thus compressing diff and pushing oil back threw the breathers. Not a lot, but just enough to make an ugly wet spot...

I think the other things its the 2 part process of the air. More to fail (if...) Compaired to the e.

I'm not against one or the other, pure personal choice for me.

Kallen Westbrook
    Owner of
    Westy's Accessories
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

17. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRAWesty For This Useful Post:

Great Southern Camping (18th March 2013)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by taslucas View Post
    Yeah as kallen has posted, e lockers use an electro magnet to lock. So no chance of the motor dying. I like the idea because:
    1, if you break the wire you can simply join it back together(try doing that with an air line)
    2, if the engine isn't putting 12volts to the locker then you've got bigger things to worry about than locking the wheels.
    3, most people carry jumper packs and jumper leads these days so getting power isn't that hard.
    4, far less things to go wrong, ie: no compressor just two wires and a switch.

FanTapstic!
    sorry but the info, like i said havent had a chance to get a look at them (strip and rebuild)
    yes u can just rejoin air lines
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/14mm-Push-In-Nylon-Tube-Hose-Connector-Joiner-Air-Line-/260784106364?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3cb7f1 ab7c&_uhb=1
    but you are right about getting power.
    after having a MQ and now owning a A currrent model hilux have found the electrickery and water really dont mix.
    Eaton do build great products and i have worked on many.
    keep it simple, weight up wants and needs.
    maybe find an eaton dealer and ask to speak to someone running these.
    good luck

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast