Thanks
    Thanked 2,062 Times in 938 Posts
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Windows 8 ?

I need to get a new netbook, the one im looking at is running windows 8,

Anyone using Windows 8 ? ,what do you think, have they gone forwards from 7, or backwards ?

thanks in advance
    <a href=http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j320/02ard/PatrolcomAvatar-1-1.jpg target=_blank>http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j3...Avatar-1-1.jpg</a>

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I personally don't know but have heard from others windows 8 is no good I'm happy with 7
    IF ITS NOT BROKEN IT MUST BE A PATROL

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My last Windows machine was a 386 desktop running Windows98! Changed to a Mac & dislike Windows greatly. Wife's laptop has Windows7 professional on it, so I know I still dislike it.
    This is a roundabout way of saying I am not a Windows expert .......BUT ...... I do know a few (Windows experts) & the word is that Windows 8 is best avoided, stick with 7.

Cuppa

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,891 Times in 3,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Re: Windows 8 ?

I think win8 might be ok for a phone or tablet but I find it annoying on a lappy.

Stick to win7 imo

.........on the move

I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Windows 8 ?

Windows 8 is designed for touch screen style devices and works wonderful at it. So any tablets or touch phones is alright. But and laptops or desktop pc's won't function to full capability.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Thanks
    Thanked 2,062 Times in 938 Posts
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by King_ady1 View Post
    Windows 8 is designed for touch screen style devices and works wonderful at it. So any tablets or touch phones is alright. But and laptops or desktop pc's won't function to full capability.
    It is a touch screen netbook, and great value compared to my other options suiting my requirements.
    <a href=http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j320/02ard/PatrolcomAvatar-1-1.jpg target=_blank>http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j3...Avatar-1-1.jpg</a>

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah... the familiar sound when Microsoft brings a change to one of their operating systems..... (If only I had a dollar for every time this came up....)

Everyone has their differing opinions and thats a good thing. In my humble opinion, there is nothing wrong with Windows 8 on a laptop or desktop. Yes there are a few design attributes that may not work the same way on a laptop that they do on a tablet or touch screen notebook, but, it is still a viable operating system for any desktop or laptop out there today.

The single main difference (other than the technical changes made to the kernel and other systems) is the "Start Screen" Microsoft simply removed the "Start Menu" and changed it into a "Start Screen" and have added functionality to it such as real time updates to social media, Weather apps and email apps so you can quickly see what new information comes in without having to open the program and have a look.

You still have a desktop and applications and the directory structure is still the same as Windows 7. Switching between open applications can still be done through keyboard shortcuts the same as before, however, Microsoft brought back the "Active Zones" on the display and you can move your mouse cursor to different corners of the screen to bring up different shortcuts to be able to switch between applications quicker.

You can add or remove application shortcuts on the Start Screen and you can change the layout of the Start screen altogether to suit your needs. You can still create shortcuts on the desktop.

I have been testing Windows 8 for the past 6 months on an older Lenovo T500 laptop with 2 GB RAM and it installed without any issues, all drivers were installed and the performance is quite good.

Once you get used to the new interface you will be fine. It took me a little to get used to but once I learned where everything was, it was hard to go back to Win7.

Just my 2 cents worth....

Cheers,

Rob
    Last edited by rkinsey; 6th March 2013 at 11:57 AM.
    Just about to jump into my next Patrol. A 2001 GU II TB45E .

WARNING!: Do not ever use a towball as a recovery point. They are not rated and can become a deadly projectile during a recovery if they snap off, and they have done so with tragic results in the past.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rkinsey For This Useful Post:

Bob (6th March 2013), NissanGQ4.2 (6th March 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,882 Times in 3,232 Posts
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DOS all the way baby
    Time is never wasted when your wasted all the time

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NissanGQ4.2 For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (6th March 2013), rusty_nail (7th March 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,883 Times in 3,670 Posts
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NissanGQ4.2 View Post
    DOS all the way baby
    or is that D'OH (like homer)
    Hello from Under Down Under!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to taslucas For This Useful Post:

NissanGQ4.2 (6th March 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,240 Times in 752 Posts
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have one corporate notebook with Win 8.
    Win 8 is not bad if your notebook have touchscreen. If no, your wife will know about it soon and she will like it! (if you understand what I'm talking about LOL )
    I'm Alexander and I'm the happiest owner of GQ Nissan Safari in the whole Central Asia

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast