OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: I finally did it - stressful day!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NissanGQ4.2 View Post
    Hope that made sense....
    Sort of ....... I think?? Regardless, with your experience I'm prepare to accept what you say, & will get reweighed at a public weighbridge.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 6,891 Times in 3,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Westy's Accessories View Post
    I'm not saying you need to loose any creature comforts, but you can subsidise.
    Ie, alloy bar and cradle instead of steel bar.
    Carrying a tube instead of a second tyre..
    Little things..

Kallen Westbrook
    Owner of
    Westy's Accessories
    Yeah mate, agreed but not necessarily practical.

One roo/cow strike and you possibly have major damage with alloy bar,....holiday on hold
    great idea with tyres

I think you will find Cuppa(as per his build thread) has considered all options but unfortunately it has still come over GVM..

At this stage we need ideas of trying to get him legal rather then reduce his weight IMO... I could be wrong tho but having encountered a lengthly trip I know how important it is to carry the necessary gear to last indefinatly .

EDIT:sorry Cuppa your call
    Last edited by Maxhead; 4th March 2013 at 10:35 PM.

I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,882 Times in 3,232 Posts
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa View Post
    Sort of ....... I think?? Regardless, with your experience I'm prepare to accept what you say, & will get reweighed at a public weighbridge.
    OK lets just say the bridge is out by 100kg

You weight your Trol and a box trailer full of steel( this is what the Gross weight is ) and it weighs 4 tonne's

You empty the box trailer of steel and drive back onto the weighbridge ( this is called the Tare weight ) and it weighs 3 tonne

So your Nett weight of steel is 1 tonne, the scrappie pays you for 1 tonne if steel

And regardless that the bridge is out by 100 kilo's your Nett weight will still be 1 tonne because you grossed and tared on the same bridge.
    Time is never wasted when your wasted all the time

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,891 Times in 3,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasnart View Post
    I've got nothing constructive to say so I'll just add this option:

Bastard!!!..........

I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit

Thanks
    Thanked 1,917 Times in 1,080 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That 6x6 is nice...

Our lux was 445kg over when we headed west a couple of years ago, it survived but probably not "legal"

I'm loading mine to wiegh and see if air bags are needed in the rear, it's hard to leave stuff out thats for sure, from seeing yours you have a bit more than me.
    I'm trying to rough it I suppose, but not so easy. You seem to be set up to stay in one place for a while.

A mate put a red dot on everything in his car when it was used the dot was removed. When they got home if it had a dot it was taken out and put in the shed.
    Some stuff is used in an emergency so that has to stay of course.

Good luck mate
    Last edited by macca; 5th March 2013 at 10:27 AM.
    Cheers
    Macca

Thanks
    Thanked 4,447 Times in 2,546 Posts
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You dont need all that water till your heading to the never never
    50/60 lts will do till your ready to head out
    drop off one battery and fine tune the solar system,wich in my opion
    only is a bit of an over kill for a ute /pod,and the hot water,could just be a glin
    or instant gas for your needs,dont get me wrong mate love the set up but
    got to trim some wieght and thats the way i see it

cheers

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Not sure how remote you intend going?? Unless your blazing new tracks I think its overkill. I 've been doing remote travel and camping for more years than I care to remember.
    Living in the Territory has helped to, being too heavy defeats the purpose, more fuel useage, heaps more strain on your ute especially chassis which is the weak link of utes and rear shock towers.
    If you intend on getting fuel every day you'll have water every day. One 80 watt panel and a triple battery set up would be heaps IMO. one battery for start only. With leds now power consumption is minimal.
    see artical of other remote tourers I'm sure Ron Moons rig is not as heavy and thats an extended dual cab. If you like I can find out what that weighs. M2cW. I think remote and outback travel get mixed up.
    Last edited by threedogs; 8th March 2013 at 05:31 PM.
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by macca View Post

I'm loading mine to wiegh and see if air bags are need in the rear,
    I'm trying to rough it I suppose, but no so easy.
    A mate put a red dot on everything in his car when it was used the dot was removed. When they got home if it had a dot it was taken out and put in the shed.
    Hi Macca,
    Re air bags - I spoke to the guy at the Springworks about airbags. He has plenty of experience with Patrols used in the local coal mining, power generation & associated maintenance industries. He reckoned that air bags were bad news on overweight Patrols, having had to deal with a number with cracked chassis'.

Re. trying to rough it not being easy - It definitely gets harder as you get older! And it's very different what the old body can manage for a week or two compared a few months plus. I reckon a lot of the young guns don't yet understand that ......... but they will!

Re. red dots. Am well versed in this method. I would be VERY surprised if we went away for more than a few months in the Patrol if ANYTHING had a red dot on it when we returned. The only possibility being a few tools/spares ..... and you could virtually guarantee we'd need them next time out if we didn't take them.

Cuppa

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    TD, Our aim is to be able to be completely self sufficient for a minimum of two weeks before needing fuel, water or food restocking. All the suggestions being made are understandable, & would make sense for many who travel onward regularly. It really depends upon what the goal is. I dream of finding remote paradises & staying put for as long as possible. After 18 months on the road around Australia being way to quick we want to slow down when we go next time. I appreciate many have to fit their adventure into a few weeks, but that is not for us. I'd rather stay home than rush. Our travelling is not a holiday, but more a change in lifestyle, but there is a price to be paid. Horses for courses mate.

A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What are the differences in weight and strength between an aluminum and steel tray?

If an ally tray could cope with the load on its back then I'd bet there are a few kgs to be saved there.
    Time Marches On .....and on ..... and on

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast