OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: I finally did it - stressful day!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,214 Times in 516 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a thought about this thread , your insurance company can read this and if all is not as it should be , if you are in a accident they will have it in black and white , and no I have nothing to do with insurance, it was just a observation

Cheers
    Gaddy

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Thats fine We're trying to get it legal if you read all posts. Cuppa not happy its over weight but culling as we type,[I hope]
    leave out Gloria Oh No !!!!!!
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,323 Times in 6,444 Posts
    Mentioned
    464 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by plasnart View Post
    i've got nothing constructive to say so i'll just add this option:

fwoarrr!!!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,431 Times in 3,005 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gaddy View Post
    Just a thought about this thread , your insurance company can read this and if all is not as it should be , if you are in a accident they will have it in black and white , and no I have nothing to do with insurance, it was just a observation

Cheers
    Gaddy
    You make a good point Gaddy. I had considered this before 'fessing up' but decided to post anyway as it was/is my intent to get the GVM upgrade & be 'legal'.
    However if after the thread has run it's course anyone wishes to request that the thread be deleted I would have no problem with that being done.

Cuppa

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,917 Times in 1,080 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All the safety stuff is in the fore front of my thoughts, brakes will be different, I know that. Just have to drive like I had the un-braked loaded to the max box trailer on behind or even to max towing limit with a braked trailer.
    With all the load the rear springs still had enough bend in my opinion. All the gear under there is heavy duty including the big mofo diff that these leafys are burdened with.
    That is the reason I bought a leafy, its a bugger off road on a weekend trip but this up coming trip to the ABH/CSR was the motivation.
    GVM is not limited to just the shocks & springs, bearings and other components have to take a lot more with the increase. So we are taking spares.
    Be interested to know GVM and tyre placard axle loads for a coil/coil ute.
    I still had a bit in the ute Cuppa, the fuel tanks were full and the basket was on the cab roof as well as a hilift and RTT. Inside the bolted in bits were still there 2 aux batts, inverter, compressor, fridge & drop slide, stove, shelves, empty water tanks but all the pumps and bits & bobs were still there, bull bar etc etc. And my fat ass of course.
    There is not really anything that can be taken out for a trip like the ABH & CSR, I can assure you I have thought about it, but over 500kg there is no way to reduce the wiegt any where near that much.
    Some of my stuff is being pawned off to other vehicles when we all meet up, to share the wieght but not more that 50 - 100kg. Then the old man jumps in !!!!
    So me like every other (surely?) outback traveller will be overloaded when we head out on the isolated part of the trip, seen blokes in utes with just a swag, a slab of Bundy and a fridge but I'm too old for that.
    Be suprised if a GVM upgrade would increase the limit enough for what we need, can't afford it anyway.
    As for insurance I have been totally honest with my insurer from the beginning, but that can all turn to custard if the worst were to happen.
    I can not stay home because of "what if" or "thats not right" so as I said before just going to load it up and go enjoy myself.
    Just going to have to suck it and see.
    Last edited by macca; 8th March 2013 at 08:26 PM.
    Cheers
    Macca

Thanks
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    DX leaf = 1160kg
    DX wide wheel = 1300kg
    DX coil = 1270kg
    ST coil 1120kg

ALL 3ltr cab chassis

Thanks
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by threedogs View Post
    DX leaf = 1160kg
    DX wide wheel = 1300kg
    DX coil = 1270kg
    ST coil 1120kg

ALL 3ltr cab chassis
    TD I'm confused
    My ute with coil / leaf
    DX 4.2TDi Wide wheel
    Tyre placard says axle capacities
    Front 1530kg Rear 2240kg
    Firewall compliance plate
    GVM 3400kg
    Cheers
    Macca

Thanks
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cuppa sorry about the
    Cheers
    Macca

Thanks
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    @ macca /cuppa all 4 variants weigh 2120kg {3ltr}
    by my thinking the DX leaf has a 2280 GVM

2120 + 1160 = 2280
    Last edited by threedogs; 8th March 2013 at 09:11 PM.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Been following this thread with a lot of interest - I have canopy on my ute containing my Genset & "tools of trade " which I regularly remove using a set of detachable lifting legs .Takes about 10 minutes. Have to be mindful of GVM. Currently building a slide on camper for my ute - the theory being that I can take my work canopy off & put the camper on. Struggling to keep its weight down. I spoke to an engineer near Wodonga regarding Lovell's GVM upgrade kit & he indicated that he would'nt be prepared to sign off on it , his words being " they are exploiting a loop hole regarding theoretical maximum axle loadings " . Another engineer in Melbourne said that he would consider signing off on the upgrade. Go figure. Incidently three dogs my GCM ( not GVM ) with canopy & trailer is around 5100Kg. Don't remember which ( GVM ? or GCM ? ) that I put in my original post. Sorry for the confusion.
    Remember that a high IQ doesn't make up for a lack of common sense.
    Learn from the mistakes of others - you won't live long enough to make them all yourself !

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Old Wal For This Useful Post:

threedogs (8th March 2013)

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast