Thread: ZD30 Reconditioning vs Second-Hand Engine

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ZD30 Reconditioning vs Second-Hand Engine

Hi guys, Shonky here,

Theo the patrol has had a pretty rough life starting out as a mining vehicle for its first 130000 K's. We almost came to the point of trading the old fella in for a newer model Kluger or Territory but came to our senses and realised we'd only be downgrading.
    The Mrs gave me the all clear to put in a TD42 in but my excitement was dashed pretty quickly after a phone call to Patrol-A-Part informed me that the engine i want to put in the 08 model could not be registered so was therefore illegal.

My new plan is to either have my existing engine reconditioned or look for a lower K's engine that has been trashed as much.

My question for you guys is what will give me more benefit in the long run? The money issue wont be a problem, I'd rather spend the cash to do it right the first time. I have plans to put in a custom Roo System diesel chip and 3" exhaust to help with fuel economy as well as a new 2" lift kit to help with its sagging issue.
    2008 Nissan Patrol GU 6 DX 3.0l and proud of it!

WARNING: Using a Snatch Strap on a Tow Ball can KILL PEOPLE!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Im pretty sure a Duramax will fit, check the archives
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im looking for more fuel economy so im not too sure if that will help me out. I wouldnt even begin to know how much a duramax cost let alone where to buy one or install it
    2008 Nissan Patrol GU 6 DX 3.0l and proud of it!

WARNING: Using a Snatch Strap on a Tow Ball can KILL PEOPLE!

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,546 Times in 1,116 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Why do you want to replace the engine? is it not running or down on compression?

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    put it on a Dyno after the exhaust is done, tune it right and fit the chip and drive her until she spits a bearing!
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Second hand - Depending on where or who you get it from, may be worse then what you have. (Be sure to read fine print from wreckers etc)

Reconditioned - Pricey however alot less stuffing around and the car will not be off the road as long (Warranty 3-12 month pending on where you go, Still read fine print...It may be warranty, however some do not cover costs involved)

Reconditioning your motor - Car will be off the road for a while, can be cheaper then a second hand engine pending on how much work it needs.

My 2 cents,

Need prices? give me a email on what your looking at or everything if your interested.

Regards,

Rob