OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Electronic Workshop Manual on Mac and iPad.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,401 Times in 2,994 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Electronic Workshop Manual on Mac and iPad.

One of the good things about this forum is the fact that the factory workshop manuals are available to members once they have clocked up 25 posts.

However being a Mac laptop & an iPad user I experienced some difficulty installing the manuals on my machines so that they were searchable, & so the links in the PDF files worked. Of course it was all possible, I just had to work out how to do it, and today have managed this with help from Toddie (NissanGQ4.2) ....... Thanks mate.

So here for any other Apple tragics are the solutions I found.

Firstly the file I needed was in .rar format, which Toddie sent me a direct link to. (EDIT: See following posts - apparently the 'standaed downloads ARE in .rar format) If you have over the requisite 25 posts a polite word in his shell like will probably get you the link to this file.

On the Mac
    You don't actually need the rar file for this, but I downloaded it to the Mac because I had previously only found manuals up to 2004, & the link Toddie gave me was for up to 2007' covering all the supplements for my 2006 model.
    The trick on the Mac is simply to use Adobe Reader to open the downloaded file. The download is a folder full of subfolders & a single .pdf file. Highlight the .pdf file & then go to 'File' at the top of the screen & then click 'Get info'. In the box which opens go down to 'Open with' (default is 'Preview'). Click & change to 'Adobe Reader'. (If Adobe Reader is not in the list you will need to download it from the net first - it's free). Now when you open the PDF file you will be able to click on the 'Click' button to take you to the manual or supplement that you want, & then clicking on the table of contents takes you directly to where you want to be.

You need to retain all of the folders. (& keep them all in the same directory). I didn't initially understand this, thinking that I only needed the folder that covered 2006. The ’98 manual is the main GU one, & the subsequent ones are the supplements covering any changes made. Nissan have always gone about their manuals in a messy way. For my Civilian bus I need 3 separate manuals & have to constantly flick between them.

On the iPad

Things on the iPad are a little different. You can get a semi result in iBooks, or by using the Adobe Reader app, but neither of these allow the linking between the different supplements, or linking directly to chapters from the table of contents. This is a real pain as the only way to find stuff is to trawl through page after page until you find what you want, & if you are anything like me, you get distracted, & then have to go through the whole process again to find the info.

However, again thanks to Toddie & following a bit of experimentation I have now found a way to have all the links working as intended, & it is remarkably simple to achieve.

First you need an app called GoodReader for iPad (a free download from the App Store)
    Second you need an app capable of unpacking .rar files. I suggest you use the same as me because I know it interacts with GoodReader. Others may, but I haven't tried them.
    I used iZip, another free download from the App Store.

So get both those apps first.

Next ask Toddie nicely for the .rar file relevant to your vehicle's model.
    He will PM you a link for you to click on (using your ipad of course) to download the .rar file.
    Unpack the .rar file with iZip.
    Once unpacked it will ask you if want to open the unpacked file with GoodReader, or something else.
    Select GoodReader & hey presto it all works.

I had struggled with this on & off for months, so this was a real result. Hope it helps others too.

Others may have found other solutions, just saying this has worked for me.

Just be aware that the link to the .rar file that Toddie provided bypasses the 25 post requirement, so if you haven't made that many posts yet just don't ask, 'cos it'll rub a good bloke up the wrong way, & I'll be less than impressed - the result being that you won't get what what you need, & if I were in Toddie's shoes I might just decide not to bother for others too.

Cuppa
    Last edited by Cuppa; 3rd March 2013 at 07:49 AM. Reason: Updated . RAR files are what you get from the standard download so you dont need to bother Toddie.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

2. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

AB (3rd March 2013), Bigrig (2nd March 2013), Bob (3rd May 2013), GrumpyOldFart (20th June 2013), jack (3rd March 2013), kingrat427 (9th April 2013), Lonicus (2nd March 2013), MC97GQ (3rd March 2013), megatexture (3rd March 2013), MudRunnerTD (3rd March 2013), NissanGQ4.2 (3rd March 2013), NotTortoise (4th March 2014), patrol7 (14th February 2014), Rocket55 (25th October 2015), rottodiver (14th March 2013), Waza (21st November 2013)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

a member of the menagerie MC97GQ's Avatar
    Nimmitabel in the deep, deep south of NSW
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey mods,

Any chance of making this a sticky in the manuals section of the forum,

Great bit of information that I would hate to see get lost.

Nice work Cuppa and Todd,

Mark
    Proud former owner of a 1997 White GQ TD42 Patrol Cab Chassis with an after market turbo, now with over half a million k's and still going strong, that's had a heart transplant and now not owned by me

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MC97GQ For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (3rd March 2013), NissanGQ4.2 (3rd March 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,880 Times in 3,231 Posts
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good call Mark, its now a Sticky and I have also moved it to the manual and software section.

Great work on the write up cuppa this by the way was all cuppa's doing all I did was guide him to the manual I believe would suite his year model Patrol. The RAR file cuppa is reffering to is the GUX manual hosted on this forum, all I did was sent him a link that bypassed the 25 post rule pdf download.

I am currently looking at the same issue on Android so if anyone has come across a preferably free pdf reader for Android's that allows linking please send me a PM

Thanks again cuppa
    Time is never wasted when your wasted all the time

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NissanGQ4.2 For This Useful Post:

jack (3rd March 2013), MC97GQ (3rd March 2013), MudRunnerTD (3rd March 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,763 Times in 1,515 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys, working like a charm on the iPad now.
    Cheers
    Jack

2012 Simpson 50th Anniversary Edition.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Waiting to see which comes first, my mini pad or my manual.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,404 Times in 2,989 Posts
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have added this to the Index to Useful Threads

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bob For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (3rd May 2013), NissanGQ4.2 (3rd November 2013)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok guys I know this has been explained in depth but I'm really struggling I can't even get the manuals to unzip in "izip".
    I only have an iPad so I don't have any other option. Can someone please help???????

I only get the first page that says click the link below to download but the link isn't able to be clicked

Thanks
    Thanked 3,763 Times in 1,515 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwick89 View Post
    I only have an iPad so I don't have any other option. Can someone please help???????
    Hi Warwick89,

Did you follow the instructions as posted by Cuppa above? Worked fine for me on the iPad.
    Cheers
    Jack

2012 Simpson 50th Anniversary Edition.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I click the the attachment, open it in izip and then can't work out how to unzip it, all I see is the page that says. " click the link below to download" but can't do anything with the link nor can I unzip
    Last edited by Warwick89; 9th October 2013 at 10:49 PM.
    2010 GU7, ZD30 CRD. ARB: bulbar, scrubbars, rock sliders, roofrack, front and rear air lockers, twin compressor. OME 2" lift, mickey T's ATZ P3 33" tyres x 6, opposite lock rear twin spare rear bar, Wurton 46" light bar roof mounted, draw system, clearview mirrors, redarc gauges: boost, EGt, engine pressure and temp, trans temp, battery. Dual battery system, 12,000lb warn winch, DYI sound/heat proofing.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I too can seem to unzip in izip, I can only zip! So when I open it in goodreader it only shows the download page
    2010 CRD Wagon, ARB Sahara, duel batt, uhf, winch, 2inch lift, 2.75 Beaudesert, 33" Mickey T atz 4rib, spotties, drawers, roofrack, Autometer boost pyro + much more

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...7-CRD-ST-Wagon

16. The Following User Says Thank You to jarrah For This Useful Post:

same (15th September 2015)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast