OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is there really any point doing a body lift? and TRUE opinions on suspension/shocks?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is there really any point doing a body lift? and TRUE opinions on suspension/sh

Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    Inside of the guards scrub Only, Only if your Rim Offset is too shallow. Fitting a Body Lift will have Zero effect on this scrub. Change your rims.

Sort out. Good 4" lift the correct way a d change your rims to a 16x8 with a neg22 offset and you will have little trouble.

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Offset won't FIX scrubbing but it will help. I run -26 offset and still get scrubbing. I can't gat any bigger offset as the wheels already stick a tiny bit past the flares.

Body lift will help reduce tyres catching the wheel arches tho.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dominator View Post

Also with body lift comes the increased risk of cracked body mounts, i have already done one. If I had my time again I don't think I would fit body lift.
    I think many have issues,could be wrong tho,as the usey tiny body blocks,like 50mm diameter and theres plenty of movement to cause cracking mounts
    My blocks are as big as i can go within the actual body mounts,about 75-80 mm diameter,with a spacer plate inside the cab,not just a small washer
    The front and rear blocks are 100 mm diameter and solid steel not alloy,heavy yep,and i also increased the bolt size some what
    It all helps with movement or hopefully lack of, movement here and there cracks things

Thanks
    Thanked 4,670 Times in 3,128 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Answer

Quote Originally Posted by MQ MAD View Post
    I think many have issues,could be wrong tho,as the usey tiny body blocks,like 50mm diameter and theres plenty of movement to cause cracking mounts
    My blocks are as big as i can go within the actual body mounts,about 75-80 mm diameter,with a spacer plate inside the cab,not just a small washer
    The front and rear blocks are 100 mm diameter and solid steel not alloy,heavy yep,and i also increased the bolt size some what
    It all helps with movement or hopefully lack of, movement here and there cracks things
    A lot crack when they remove the rubber factory mount.. you need to leave it in to allow flex..
    I ran solid 80mm shaft on all 10 points of my lwb gq and went a m12 bolt over the m10.
    Over kill for a 1" body lift. Yes... But I like to guarantee longevity.

Pros of a body lift
    Cheap, easy

Cons
    Still limited articulation, risk body damage, still need to change brake lines, diff breathers of adding to a 2" spring, throws bar work out of whack and anything more than a 1" body lift and stock barwork looks crap imo...
    also front fill pannels need to be remade.

Kallen Westbrook
    Owner of
    Westy's Accessories
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

Thanks
    Thanked 5,663 Times in 3,158 Posts
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    Inside of the guards scrub Only, Only if your Rim Offset is too shallow. Fitting a Body Lift will have Zero effect on this scrub. Change your rims.

If you can avoid a BL then go suspension lift over Body Lift every day of the week. A BL is a compromise. It changes nothing but the gap between your chassis and your body, Increases your centre of Gravity without giving you any suspension that may help you avoid calamity.

The bests suspension that YOU can buy is alway better that a Body Lift.

I have a BL in my GQ but all my bar work is modded to suit so removing it is not viable.

Sort out. Good 4" lift the correct way a d change your rims to a 16x8 with a neg22 offset and you will have little trouble.

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I beg to differ a little. Lifting the body instead of your entire drive train will keep the COG lower, meaning more stable off road. A suspension lift doesnt always necessarily net you more travel. It helps yes but the biggest thing that stops everyone is diff clearance. I have always pondered with the thought of running a 2" suspension lift with my current 2" body lift and modifying the top shock mounts to allow the fitment of longer shocks, these coupled with some nice flexy coils and 37's would have an awesome setup. I do like my body lift it makes the car easier to work especially if doing a clutch and before I lifted it could fit 35's with no issues on -22 rims with a 2" spring and 2" body lift. The biggest drama I had with this was down travel, I lifted wheels due to shock length. A suspension lift is also a slight compromise as well, your point of max up travel isnt really changed so your back where you were with standard suspension. I hope this makes sense I can make sense of it myself but may not have conveyed it very well.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's pretty much what I was trying to say. 2" + 2" seems good to me. It must keep c of g lower as the engine and axles are foookin' heavy , as I've just found out lol
    Didn't want to shout too loud as new to this malarky but loving it long time xxx
    I'm refurbing some axles at the mo and will be modding the shock mounts to get more droop for same shock length (I'm a poor church mouse ) and then use some cheap coil dislocators.
    Y60 Patrol 4.2 d SWB in puke green
    2" body lift, 2" pedders suspension lift, 35" Simex muds on excel 16" alloys, needs a turbo :/

Thanks
    Thanked 4,670 Times in 3,128 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So will you be raising or lowering the front tower top?
    And what's the plan for the rear?

Kallen Westbrook
    Owner of
    Westy's Accessories
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm refurbing the axles now. Shock mounts are work in progress. I'll do some pics in the next day or two to try and show you what I'm thinking
    Y60 Patrol 4.2 d SWB in puke green
    2" body lift, 2" pedders suspension lift, 35" Simex muds on excel 16" alloys, needs a turbo :/

Thanks
    Thanked 13,520 Times in 6,608 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I agree the C of G will be a little better with a BL over a suspension lift but either way your C of G will rise with either and consideration should be given to that effect when driving after the modification.

If you do go a BL then you get a bonus. Lifting the body opened up the top of the shock tower on the front and allows you to unbolt and remove the upper shock tower and install 50mm lift blocks and fit the tower on top of these. Don't try and modify the lowers on the diff, not required if you have a BL.

I'll see if I can find the pic in my build thread and repost it here for you mate.

Last edited by MudRunnerTD; 4th March 2013 at 11:41 AM.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,520 Times in 6,608 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Sorry about the size of the pic, on my iPad and had to just grab it out of my build thread

You will find the suspension pics on page 3 of my build thread in my sig line mate
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

makeitfit (4th March 2013), nissannewby (4th March 2013)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Havent been on in a fair few days, im drugged up to the eyeballs at the moment due to a broken wisdom tooth, 4 different box's of meds, its pretty average haha

Anyway, even know i wasnt fond of body lifts at all, i kinda picked up a 2" Susp Lift and a 2" BL for $300 today so after hearing the pros and cons and everyones opinion ive decided i will probably fit the blocks after all.

Quote Originally Posted by nissannewby View Post
    I beg to differ a little. Lifting the body instead of your entire drive train will keep the COG lower, meaning more stable off road. A suspension lift doesnt always necessarily net you more travel. It helps yes but the biggest thing that stops everyone is diff clearance. I have always pondered with the thought of running a 2" suspension lift with my current 2" body lift and modifying the top shock mounts to allow the fitment of longer shocks, these coupled with some nice flexy coils and 37's would have an awesome setup. I do like my body lift it makes the car easier to work especially if doing a clutch and before I lifted it could fit 35's with no issues on -22 rims with a 2" spring and 2" body lift. The biggest drama I had with this was down travel, I lifted wheels due to shock length. A suspension lift is also a slight compromise as well, your point of max up travel isnt really changed so your back where you were with standard suspension. I hope this makes sense I can make sense of it myself but may not have conveyed it very well.
    I get you mate, and thats what ive been thinking about, down travel, is there that much involved to fit longer shocks?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast