OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is there really any point doing a body lift? and TRUE opinions on suspension/shocks?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is there really any point doing a body lift? and TRUE opinions on suspension/shocks?

Is there any point in lifting the body other than giving you extra tyre clearance?

Im planning on running 35s eventually, so was thinking of installing a 2+2 lift, ive been told with the right offset rim it wont scrub or much, but that still leaves the chassis and everything bar the diffs 2" lower.

Soo, now im thinking save up for a 4" suspension lift and if i need/want more tyre clearance, bolt a body lift in?

And....What are the real, down to the bone, true facts about certain suspension/shock brands??
    I dont want to spend thousands upon thousands but im also not installing King Springs.

Cheers everyone

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 2,206 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is there really any point doing a body lift? and TRUE opinions on suspension/shocks?

Personally don't see the need if not running 35's off road ... my 33's scrub a little in the arches and I run 5" springs, but nothing slightly longer bumpstops wouldn't fix (and I mean 'slightly').

Just tap it in ... taaapp it in ....

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nah I wouldn't get it, just stick to the useful stuff that will help you off road, and just work on other fixes to stop scrubbing. Suspension lift is the way to go, just got my 3" fitted and loving it.

Tappin trolls
    Brendan
    If you're following this Patrol, Stop... You're not gonna make it

Thanks
    Thanked 4,041 Times in 1,746 Posts
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Greazer View Post
    Is there any point in lifting the body other than giving you extra tyre clearance?

Im planning on running 35s eventually, so was thinking of installing a 2+2 lift, ive been told with the right offset rim it wont scrub or much, but that still leaves the chassis and everything bar the diffs 2" lower.

Soo, now im thinking save up for a 4" suspension lift and if i need/want more tyre clearance, bolt a body lift in?

And....What are the real, down to the bone, true facts about certain suspension/shock brands??
    I dont want to spend thousands upon thousands but im also not installing King Springs.

Cheers everyone
    I run a 4 inch lift and 35s (10inch rim -44 offset) and dont really have a scrubbing issue. it touches a little bit on the chassis at the rear but it no drama.
    The question is how hard do you go? with a quality set of 33's and a 3 inch long travel kit will see go alot of places, diff clearence will always be an issue if you are runnng 31's or 44's
    96 GQ coil/Cab
    08 G6eT

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Greazer View Post

Cheers everyone
    Most do for tyre clearance and its a relatively cheap lift mod
    Coupla hours work and under 200 bucks
    Anymore than 2 "and you pushing the limits of most factory lines,hoses ect
    Ive gone 4 " BL on an MK shorty here

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben-e-boy View Post
    I run a 4 inch lift and 35s (10inch rim -44 offset) and dont really have a scrubbing issue. it touches a little bit on the chassis at the rear but it no drama.
    The question is how hard do you go? with a quality set of 33's and a 3 inch long travel kit will see go alot of places, diff clearence will always be an issue if you are runnng 31's or 44's
    Go hard or go home? haha, Half the places i want to go near where i live (there isnt much to choose from) have been destroyed by 35"+ Tyres, really need the diff clearance. Ive been pretty much pushing it to its limits as it is atm.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is there really any point doing a body lift? and TRUE opinions on suspension/sh

JI have 4in coils and 2in body. I run 35s off road and I still get rubbing on the inner rear guards. I have now extended bump stops to try and stop it. The other advantage of body lift is it gives heaps of access to clean under the car after going up the beach, and living 15mins from Teerwah beach and a little over an hour from Fraser Island I do like to hit the beach often.

Also with body lift comes the increased risk of cracked body mounts, i have already done one. If I had my time again I don't think I would fit body lift. But for me to remove it now I would have to remake my winch bar, sliders and rear bar. Not fun!
    Last edited by Dominator; 2nd March 2013 at 10:04 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,953 Times in 6,829 Posts
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For what I do........ NO

Sent from the crapper while on tappa

IF YA DONT GET STUCK YA AINT TRYIN HARD ENOUGH........OR YA TOOK THE CHICKEN TRACK

WARNING: TOWBALLS USED WITH SNATCHSTRAPS DO KILL!!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I may put my spanner in the works now ?@
    I've gone for the 2" body lift and 2" suspension lift. Two reasons, the body lift is cheap and easy to do AND helps keep the center of gravity low. Side slopes like low c/o/g. Suspension lift (coils) and longer reach shocks allows for the articulation bit but not high enough to mess up the steering geometry .
    I'm running 35s Simex and have no rubbing on inner arch but did trim the wheel arch about 10mm. I cant remember the offset on my alloys sorry.
    Y60 Patrol 4.2 d SWB in puke green
    2" body lift, 2" pedders suspension lift, 35" Simex muds on excel 16" alloys, needs a turbo :/

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Inside of the guards scrub Only, Only if your Rim Offset is too shallow. Fitting a Body Lift will have Zero effect on this scrub. Change your rims.

If you can avoid a BL then go suspension lift over Body Lift every day of the week. A BL is a compromise. It changes nothing but the gap between your chassis and your body, Increases your centre of Gravity without giving you any suspension that may help you avoid calamity.

The bests suspension that YOU can buy is alway better that a Body Lift.

I have a BL in my GQ but all my bar work is modded to suit so removing it is not viable.

Sort out. Good 4" lift the correct way a d change your rims to a 16x8 with a neg22 offset and you will have little trouble.

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast