Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hard copy w/shop manual

Another quickie.

A paper workshop manual for the toolkit seems like a good idea.

Any thoughts about which is better - Haynes, Gregorys or something else?

Cuppa

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Easy! Download the Manual from here and host it on your iPhone or even Better your iPad! i have it on both! Awesome!

I also have a hard cover Factory Manual in the Office and the Shed but i had them before this forum existed.

But the electronic one is easy to store on your device Cuppa and are simply the best.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, I do have the electronic manual, but am not sure if I've done something wrong. Is it supposed to be 'searchable' by clicking on the chapter headings at the beginning, 'cos mine isn't. If I click on a chapter heading, say 'Clutch' for example, I get a message saying 'can't be found' (see below). Am I missing something or is it normal to have to trawl through the whole thing page by page to find what I need?

I also have it in iBooks on the iPad, but of course the page numbers don'tmatch with Nissan's page numbering system, again meaning that trawling through page by page is required.

I appreciate the availability of the manual from here, definitely not complaining about something I got for free, just not sure if there is something I can do to make it more user friendly?

Cuppa
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Cuppa; 1st March 2013 at 09:51 AM.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,891 Times in 3,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    FYI. I have the Gregorys one for the Maverick and I find it hard to read and understand. Lack of pictures/names, general information. The electronic manual is LOTS better

I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Hard copy w/shop manual

Mine is not searchable either which is a PITA but once you sift through it is simply the Best that you could have in front of you. Near with it. You will not find better in a crap manual from super heap. And weight saving will be a bit!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!

The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,882 Times in 3,232 Posts
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cuppa, I'm not 100% sure off the top of my head for that exact manual, but you don't need it to link from the front page anyway and yes it should be linked so if you click on clutch it opens that section

Most of the electronic manuals are broken file wise into PDF sections anyway

Example

MA - Maintenance is one PDF file
    EM - Engine Mechanical is one PDF file
    CL - Clutch is one file PDF file

etc........

All you need to do is click on the PDF file your after.

Not 100% sure on Ipad's ( cause I don't own one cause there sh!t! ) but I know on the PC's acrobat reader once you open the section you are after you can run searches on keywords, which can sometimes help you find things quicker

Is it the 98 manual you are after??? is so I will have a look to see how the file structure is and see if I can work out an easier way for you to access it on the ipad.

Let me know if you would prefer hard copy manuals and I will post up some bookshop links for you.

Cheers

Toddie
    Last edited by NissanGQ4.2; 2nd March 2013 at 08:08 AM.
    Time is never wasted when your wasted all the time

Thanks
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Hard copy w/shop manual

I must have downloaded the same version as cuppa onto my phone. On my Mac I can search sections but the one I downloaded to my phone and iPad you can't. I'll recheck which is which.

Maybe we can delete the lesser versions and stick with the sectioned version hosted here?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Toddie,
    I gotta admit I've struggled with the whole electronic manual thing, & I'm not at all certain that what I've got is what I need! Basically I want the manual that covers my 2006 GU.

Normally I'm pretty much on top of this sort of thing, but have never quite managed it on this. I'm using a Mac, but that shouldn't make any difference. With other pdf's I don't have any problem with them being searchable.

However following your post I tried opening the sm_y61.pdf file with Adobe reader & it opened this page

and clicking on one of the 'Click' buttons opened up the manual, complete with a searchable index down the side. Thanks now I'm getting somewhere.

AND the chapters on the index page link to the chpters when I click on them.

Seems your suggestion of Adobe Reader has cracked it!

SO........ is the 2004 version the latest available?

AND ....... can someone who uses the manual on an iPad tell me if it is possible to get the manual to work like this on the iPad? (In the meantime I'll go look to see if there is an Adobe Reader app for iPad).

Thanks Toddie
    Last edited by Cuppa; 1st March 2013 at 08:17 PM.

A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Found & installed Adobe Reader app on iPad, but I'm stuffed if I can find a way to transfer the files to it to make it work like it does on the laptop. Starting to do my head in!

A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,776 Times in 1,518 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cuppa I'm having the same iPad issues, all works fine on the PC and Laptop. Good luck with getting it to work on the iPad, I know you'll keep us updated.
    Cheers
    Jack

2012 Simpson 50th Anniversary Edition.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast