User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: GU stuck in low range

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did need to drive it today, I got it out of low range yesterday i just wanted to know peoples thoughts as to why it did it and what to do etc to stop it happening again....

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabe View Post
    I did need to drive it today, I got it out of low range yesterday i just wanted to know peoples thoughts as to why it did it and what to do etc to stop it happening again....
    So what did you do different to get it out of low range?

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GU stuck in low range

this happens also to manuals when bearings in the transfercase frontdrives are worn out. at initial wearing, you may not hear anything odd. consult a mechanic to check them or you try hold the propeler for loose fit. you cant wiggle it if bearings are good.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,062 Times in 938 Posts
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Please confirm you know the vehicle must be stationary and not in drive/gear when switching to and from low range 4wd.

The first time you tryed, did you actually slow the car to a dead stop, put the T-bar/auto transmission shifter into neutral, before moving from low range ?
    Last edited by 04OFF; 28th February 2013 at 01:03 AM.
    <a href=http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j320/02ard/PatrolcomAvatar-1-1.jpg target=_blank>http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j3...Avatar-1-1.jpg</a>

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 2010 auto and I had the same issue. Nissan dealer told me it was common to all 4x4. Driving in reverse unbinds. This issue was highlighted some time back on Simon Christies 4x4 show on TV. Dealer also told me you need to be firm pushing down and quick when moving transfer lever.

Cheers

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was at a dead stop and in neutral, every time i tried to get it out either quick or slow it was just crunching, as soon as i turned the car off and let it sit i took it out then and when i started it again it was back to normal, and yes i was pushing the stick down too.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,062 Times in 938 Posts
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bugger, that does not sound good then mate !
    <a href=http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j320/02ard/PatrolcomAvatar-1-1.jpg target=_blank>http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j3...Avatar-1-1.jpg</a>

Thanks
    Thanked 1,917 Times in 1,080 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bit confused, was it stuck in low range or wouldnt go into high? There is a neutral in between high & low.
    If it crunched gears going into high I would suggest the main gearbox had not been in neutral, spinning the out-put shaft (in-put shaft in transfer case) therefore rattling teeth.

Try it in park that should stop all shafts rotating and stationary of course.
    Cheers
    Macca

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry i'll try and explain it better, i was in neutral and it was crunching while i was trying to get it into 4H so i could get it into 2H, when i finally got it onto 2H it was driving the same as it was in 4L, it was only after i tried reversing backwards etc that i turned the car off and put it into 2H and restarted the car that it drove normal again, hope that makes sense

Thanks
    Thanked 1,917 Times in 1,080 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maaate, if this is the case "when i finally got it onto 2H it was driving the same as it was in 4L" there is something seriously wrong in the transfer case. Does not sound good.
    Cheers
    Macca

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast