OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fridge power consumption and calculating the power draw...

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Re charge via trailer wires ,I do no probs. Easy to work out battery required.
    If you can afford 100ah sealed agm go for it, You'll use it as a remote power source
    as in able to move it around camp ,home etc, why get a 50 AH battery, same weight/size
    and maybe $30 cheaper. If your second AUX goes in the patrol you have a replacement straight away.
    just add up all amps of what you intend using
    Last edited by threedogs; 18th February 2013 at 09:04 PM.
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,319 Times in 6,443 Posts
    Mentioned
    461 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by threedogs View Post
    Taking most Easters down here rain recharge via the Cig lighter, not ideal.
    IMO your solar is over kill as 80 watt panel will do what you want.
    re wire your 4x4 with an Anderson outlet in the back for your 3rd battery in a battery box
    leave home with it charged and top up getting to camp.
    this battery box can now be used for camp lighting only, leaving you 2 x batteries to run fridges
    Ask BA about my battery box and that last me 4 days and only 18 AH battery
    It may be an overkill but thats what I have...Plus my camp lighting is basic, two 1metre led strip light that I made and thats it. Don't need anymore. So thats the only thing that runs off the car. The third battery I want to get solely for the big fridge.
    As cuppa has said its not quite that simple. So I was thinking of a 80AH deep cycle in a battery box.
    But now thinking harder into this, I think I will do as cuppa has said and run some cable from the first battery somewhere just incase the 3rd battery gets flattened totally. As if this happens the solar panels wont be able to start charging.
    Cuppa!
    How about this idea? Mainly to save on time and make it simple.
    Run some decent cable from my main battery in a short length to an Anderson plug, then, make another cable, say for instance 2-3 metres with an Anderson plug on it to, too attach to the main battery and to the "dead" third battery?
    I have enough crap on my plate at the moment before I am supposed to take the family away. Just trying to cut a few corners...

The master farter
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    461 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by threedogs View Post
    Re charge via trailer wires ,I do no probs. Easy to work out battery required.
    If you can afford 100ah sealed agm go for it, You'll use it as a remote power source
    as in able to move it around camp ,home etc, why get a 50 AH battery, same weight/size
    and maybe $30 cheaper. If your second AUX goes in the patrol you have a replacement straight away.
    just add up all amps of what you intend using
    How much is a 100AH AGM. $300? Plus both batteries in my troll are new, primary a Supercharge MF95D31R and the secondary is a D70ZZ. Can afford an AGM but also supposed to be saving for the locker. I can get 105AH Supercharge Deep cycles very cheap but thought a 80AH deep cycle for space saving too. But may not be sufficient.
    Why every time I think about this it gives me a splitting headache?

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. Get an AGM. Do not charge a wet battery inside the vehicle or you'll likely have worse than a headache. The Supercharge is a wet battery. It is also a calcium type which requires a higher charging voltage - added complication that you don't need.
    2. Sorry mate, but I'm not going to encourage you to 'cut corners', I believe this is a recipe for disappointment. Setting up a system in which you expect to have a 'dead' battery to revive is just not the way to go. IMO it'd be better to make do with an ice box until you are in a position to set up a reasonably balanced solar battery system that you'll be happy with.
    3. What I think you should do at a minimum is what you've suggested, BUT with the inclusion of a DC to DC battery charger at the end of that decent cable run from the crank battery to the back of the car. And an AGM battery of at least 120ah.

I reckon you need to decide which has the higher priority, a camp power system that works, or a locker. Nothing worse than spending money on a poorly designed power system that lets you down (especially if it is dangerous!).

Cuppa

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

The master farter
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    461 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thought to drag out and old'ish thread of mine. Last week I bought a 105AH AGM battery and battery box. Box was 20mm too short but nothing a ratchet strap can't fix. Anyhow we went camping over the easter break, from Friday to Monday at Wellington river, (mental note to never go back there again), anyhow my 75L Combi Engel ran the whole time on just the battery. Was quite impressed actually. Bit worried that it was going to die, as I had my panels with me but for some reason they did not work, again, even after testing them at home and finding they were working prior.
    But the battery held up. I was going to get a 120AH AGM from Supercharge but the shipment wasn't due until this week and I couldn't wait any longer.
    Now to find out why the panels were NOT charging...
    Last edited by mudski; 3rd April 2013 at 09:49 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12