Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Legal Lift Laws QLD

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Legal Lift Laws QLD

Hey guys, can anyone tell me in plain english...what are the legal lift heights, including tyres and suspension are in Queensland??? For a GQ Patrol??? I am hearing and seeing so many different things about this...just trying to find someone that actually knows what they are talking about...I cant download the info from Main Roads for some reason...thanks for any help...

Cheers Jays

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    There is a thread on it somewhere but basically Aus wide 2" lift and 285s on 8" rims thats it
    after that you'll need engineers report
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

4. The Following User Says Thank You to threedogs For This Useful Post:

Incy (3rd April 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,206 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Legal Lift Laws QLD

Qld is as follows:

2" maximum increase in tyres permissible (33" or 285/75R16 - basically 33" either way as outer diameter)

2" maximum increase in spring height.

2" maximum body lift.

You can have all 3 for a total clearance lift of 125mm (5" - obviously 2" in tyres equals 1" lift from the hub).

You CANNOT exceed 50mm (2") for any category individually - that is, you cannot do 1" on tyres and apply the 1" saving to springs and have a 3" lift - not allowed.

Up to 75mm (3") you don't need it engineered, but over this height to 125mm it is supposed to be engineered including the possibility of having to perform slalom tests to ensure stability in line with original vehicle specs.

These guidelines were released in the VSB updates late last year (November 1st I think).

I'd Tap That!!

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bigrig For This Useful Post:

GQJays (16th February 2013), Incy (3rd April 2018), Steve4wdin (24th February 2013)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey BigRig, so if the Gq come standard with 31" tyres that means I can put 35" tyres on legally yeah???

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    GQJays you have a point. Going 31" to 35" would only raise the car 2"; however, I think you'll find a 2" diameter limit.
    When I was up there a few years back I got hold of a QLD modification booklet. This stipulated exactly what lift and how much.
    BigRig, I lived in Townsville and at the time, I could have 4" suspension, 2" body, but I could not (from memory) increase my tyres by that amount.
    Although I was running 35s on the Lux with a 4" lift.
    Mechanic would not give me the tick until I proved it was a 4" lift, and did that and then explained the modifications booklet.
    Personally, although BigRig may well be right (and as a 4x4er in QLD you may well be) I would be chasing this mod booklet down, emailing QLD tpt and getting written documents on exactly what you can have and where.
    I have lived QLD, NSW, ACT and now SA (thanks to my wonderful career) and I have pretty much found that there is now a limit of 2" regardless of what 'lift' you are doing. SO you could have a 2" suspension, but cannot then raise the body. Or you could do 1" of each.
    Tyre diameter is another issue and have found that 50mm dia was the legal limit back a few years in QLD. SA its 15mm.
    My question: If my muddies wear to half way, are they now illegal??
    Can I have 32" tyres on my patrol that are half worn? etc etc
    Get it in writing from QLD TPT, Engineer etc and if you get nicked, show em.
    If BigRig is right, I'll be moving back up I think as SA, with a VIC rego car is crap
    06 GU IV Nissan Patrol wagon 3.0L, Tough Dog 2" lift, Xrox bar, 12k Mako winch, 33" muddies, 3" exhaust, Awning, UHF, drawers & fridge, custom sliders, DVDs, custom water tank and pump, rack etc etc.
    Now just in - GQ Shorty 4.2 petrol, UHF - but looking at turbo or V8 conversion

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Big rig is right he does his research knows his shiz. 33' tyres is max aloud as its overall diameter change
    Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward.
    Whoever cannot take care of themselves without that law is both.
    For a wounded man shall say to his assailant,
    'If I live, I will kill you. If I die, You are forgiven.'
    Such is the rule of honour.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to macca86 For This Useful Post:

Bigrig (21st February 2013)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok...I get it...will stick with my 33" tyres thanks guys...

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Legal Lift Laws QLD

Quote Originally Posted by Great Southern Camping View Post
    No mate - 2" maximum increase on tyres to a maximum OD of 33" - 35's are outright illegal and I think they're already enforcing that one ...

I'd Tap That!!
    Oopsey - was logged in on the wrong account!! lol

I'd Tap That!!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Legal Lift Laws QLD

Quote Originally Posted by Lieney View Post
    GQJays you have a point. Going 31" to 35" would only raise the car 2"; however, I think you'll find a 2" diameter limit.
    When I was up there a few years back I got hold of a QLD modification booklet. This stipulated exactly what lift and how much.
    BigRig, I lived in Townsville and at the time, I could have 4" suspension, 2" body, but I could not (from memory) increase my tyres by that amount.
    Although I was running 35s on the Lux with a 4" lift.
    Mechanic would not give me the tick until I proved it was a 4" lift, and did that and then explained the modifications booklet.
    Personally, although BigRig may well be right (and as a 4x4er in QLD you may well be) I would be chasing this mod booklet down, emailing QLD tpt and getting written documents on exactly what you can have and where.
    I have lived QLD, NSW, ACT and now SA (thanks to my wonderful career) and I have pretty much found that there is now a limit of 2" regardless of what 'lift' you are doing. SO you could have a 2" suspension, but cannot then raise the body. Or you could do 1" of each.
    Tyre diameter is another issue and have found that 50mm dia was the legal limit back a few years in QLD. SA its 15mm.
    My question: If my muddies wear to half way, are they now illegal??
    Can I have 32" tyres on my patrol that are half worn? etc etc
    Get it in writing from QLD TPT, Engineer etc and if you get nicked, show em.
    If BigRig is right, I'll be moving back up I think as SA, with a VIC rego car is crap
    Hey mate

The DOT guide is available on the website and it actually applies until the embargo period (12 months I believe) is over - that said, the VSB code has been updated already, and will be released well before that time .. I have a copy of the DOT code on my phone for those "boys in blue" moments and it has served me well thus far ...

That said, I have compliance plates for my mods and a certificate for my suspension lift (no plate is provided for suspension up here - certificate only and they can still enforce a slalom test if they wish).

If it says 35" x whatever other dimensions on the side of the tyre mate, then I'd suggest the "worn tread" theory is out the window.

I'd Tap That!!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Bigrig For This Useful Post:

GQJays (21st February 2013)

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,830 Times in 1,250 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Call me lazy scotty but would you have a link to that ? Ok yea I'm lazy lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast