Thread: 3 piece long handled shovels

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

3 piece long handled shovels

Does anyone use one of these or similar?

Would you recommend them?

Am trying to decide whether to make do with a short handled shovel I already have, or get one of this type.

http://www.4x4equip.com.au/showProduct/IDH-2-1

http://www.bushranger.com.au/diggar/...ece_Shovel.pdf

I like the idea of a long handled shovel which dismantles, but both have wide mouths, probably not that good for digging a hole for a dump in much of Australia's hard ground. I note also the warning on the bushranger one against using it as a lever - using a shovel to assist in putting on the spare wheel is something I am keen to be able to do to save my back (& something the short handled one I have does perfectly).

What is your preference in an all round shovel to do service in hole digging, recoveries, fire duty, weight saving & space saving - for touring duty?

Cuppa

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 8,044 Times in 3,197 Posts
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting idea but i think i would break it the way i treat my shovel, it gats more use while camping and 4wding than anything else i take with me.
    Will stick to the long wooden handle one i have now, just have to have the roof racks on to carry it

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Whats wrong with a post hole shovel from Bunnings ,heaps to choose from, well priced
    even have shorter style spade for dump duty. never break a cyclone in a hurry if used
    correctly
    My wooden handle been dipped in diesel, sump oil you name it,now its hard as steel
    fire or dump been doing it over 20 years with this shovel
    Last edited by threedogs; 15th February 2013 at 03:03 PM.
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    X2 on the post hole shovel, do everything with it, no need for a short one.
    Fire pit, dump hole, bogged car, lifting spare on and cane toad disposal tool come to mind at the moment.
    Plenty more uses I can't think of on the spot right now.
    [SIGPIC]

Thanks
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like I say, I have a good shovel/spade of the old fashioned variety which I rescued when the farm next door got sold off to the investment tree mob. It's a goodie, strong & well made with a good blade, but doesn't have a D handle, nor a long handle.

I don't have a roofrack to attach a long handled shovel to, & thus storage options demand something shorter. The one I have is an ideal size as far as storage goes.

I have never been in a recovery situation where a shovel is needed but understand that a long handle would make digging a bogged diff easier than a short handle. I will hopefully display sufficient caution to avoid such situations, but accept I will no doubt make a mistake at some point & need to use the shovel to extricate myself, & my thinking is that if such digging out is to be a rare occasion, that perhaps I could put up with the extra hassle of having to lay on the ground reaching in with the shorter shovel. But I guess I'm asking if the more experienced among you consider my thinking naieve & whether I really should have a long handled shovel? If so then really the only option I have is one that breaks down for storage. I certainly don't want to carry two shovels for different purposes.

Cuppa

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I carry mine in the drawers I made under the pod, along with axe, fishing rods, tent poles etc.
    [SIGPIC]

Thanks
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ..........more thinking.
    I note that you folk use a post hole shovel, which has more of an angle to it's blade than the more 'spade - like' instrument that I own. After consideration, my thinking is that the greater angle would assist when pulling sand etc out from underneath the vehicle. Is this correct?

I do have one 'drawer' under the pod that is currently free where i suppose I could carry a shovel. I had been planning to use it for tools stored in pull out trays, but i guess I could share it with a shovel if i have to. Just means less efficient use of the space, ... but then agan the shove might assist in pulling things out when i need them .
    Last edited by Cuppa; 15th February 2013 at 06:50 PM.

A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,277 Times in 3,275 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

3 piece long handled shovels

I have my good old German in trenching tool.... Bloody good bit of kit.

Irish dug out both diffs once to get us free with one of these!!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I straightened my post hole shovel on a concrete bollard, thought I'd ripped the guard off but its straight now

@ cuppa as for no "D" handle go buy one at Bunnings and fit it.
    I'll put pic of my shovel here to show weird angle
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by threedogs; 15th February 2013 at 07:09 PM.
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey TD,
    Curious to know why you straightened your shovel.
    I think the angle is what makes the post hole shovel great for all jobs.

Just my opinion though.
    [SIGPIC]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast