Thread: New buy got a case of the wandering steering

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New buy got a case of the wandering steering

Picked up my Mq today. Its a 3.3L dist SWB with power steer. When I drove it home it seemed to sometimes get sort of a wander in the steering, dont know if really from the road surfaces or something else, not one side in paticular but random. I also noticed once or twice it pulled right under braking. I did some research on here and I am 99% sure its got a lift kit on it. Its also got AT tyres ( size?) and a small diameter aftermarket sports steering wheel.
    I only got the thing home at 7pm tonight, so I dont know much about it yet but I will do some more research on what the cars got tomorrow. Do AT tyres have a tendency to wander, could it be the small steering wheel, maybe the bearings ( will check for play tomorrow) or should I be looking somewhere else? It wasent all the time just occasionally and it doesnt seem to have much play in the steering wheel.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 13,503 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    it could be as simple as tyre pressure. but it could be a steering dampener knackered. Check your tyre pressue first.

No, AT tyres are rock solid.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd be getting the "toe in" checked for a start, and having a good look over the suspension and spring hanger pins, bushes and wheel bearings..
    Cheers, the ferret

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tyre pressure was my first thought, so i pulled into the first fuel shop on the way home and made sure they were all ok. Still happened after that. Its kind of like the beast runs along fine and then all of a sudden she just pulls to one side, then when you correct it she is fine for a while. It pulls either way too.
    I thought about wheel alignment or maybe tyre balance, but wouldnt it do it all the time if this was the case? Also wouldnt the bearings cause shudder at high speeds and through braking if they were rooted? Is it just the same as a car to check for play in the bearings i.e raise wheel and rock to check for play?
    Sorry guys new to the Patrol and havent had a 4x4 for a LONG time so a bit fresh. Suspension looks ok, front bushes look ok and all well oiled.
    Whats the steering dampener and spring hanger pins?
    Thanks for the help guys. I love this car already and just want to sort out this gremlin

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When you say everything looks well oiled, do you mean the bushes in particular? If so and they are rubber then there's a good chance that they are knackered. Rubber will swell and soften when in contact with oils. If they are nolathane then nothing to be worried about as they need lubing from time to time.

Cheers

Thanks
    Thanked 13,503 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    But if they are Nolathane then that is probably your problem as they are rubbish. It sounds like you have a Bush or Tierod end fault. I'd start with Ferrets suggestion then mate. Wheel alignment.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Will do with the alignment. Sh has nolathane on the front sway bay and rubber on the rest. The rubber ones look ok. There is a grease nipple right near the bushes that are greasy. Thanks guys

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i would still look at the tie rod ends ,i have had the same problem on a gq

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They actually look like they are not tightened enough on the top of the bush. Ill get them to check when they do a alignment. Whats the torque setting of the upper bolt on the tie rod ends bushes?