User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking to fix a 2001 GU 3.0TDI

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The "wrecking" price for a car wouldn't be much: About 15 or so years ago, I was with my dad and uncle out the front of a big name commodore wrecker in sydney where I was chasing parts for my 1st car a vb commodore, A flatbed pulls up with a VK commodore on it, fair bit of work done to it 253, etc etc, was spotless except it had a dingle in the rear. My uncle and I were joking about the car offering to buy it, towie goes you can have it for $200, thinking he was joking we dismissed it. Until the chick walked out and handed him 4 pineapples, car easily had 1000's worth of parts on it.

Long story short, In my opinion a wrecking price wont be much regardless the car, so lets just say its $2k, it costs you $6k to rebuild, you have a vehicle you know the history of for $8k. You wouldn't be able to even buy one for that price. If the wrecking price is cheap, also consider buying, rebuilding it then selling it for a profit!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kull3n View Post
    hey mate

I just finished rebuilding a zd30, what a job, rebuild cost me about $3500 with new injectors, waterpump, timing chain, belts, hoses etc... long process doing it in spare time though.
    if I had the time I'd really like to do the same, but ive got too much on at the moment. if the engine is not too bad I'll probably get an engine rebuilder to rebuild it. did you do all the NADS stuff? if so, was it difficult?

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trekster View Post
    The "wrecking" price for a car wouldn't be much: About 15 or so years ago, I was with my dad and uncle out the front of a big name commodore wrecker in sydney where I was chasing parts for my 1st car a vb commodore, A flatbed pulls up with a VK commodore on it, fair bit of work done to it 253, etc etc, was spotless except it had a dingle in the rear. My uncle and I were joking about the car offering to buy it, towie goes you can have it for $200, thinking he was joking we dismissed it. Until the chick walked out and handed him 4 pineapples, car easily had 1000's worth of parts on it.

Long story short, In my opinion a wrecking price wont be much regardless the car, so lets just say its $2k, it costs you $6k to rebuild, you have a vehicle you know the history of for $8k. You wouldn't be able to even buy one for that price. If the wrecking price is cheap, also consider buying, rebuilding it then selling it for a profit!
    I reckon you are about right. they offered it to me for 3k. its got near new tyres, new injector pump, bull bar, winch and they looked after it. I've got a small Subaru Forester with 160k and a bigger vehicle like the patrol would be more helpful with my work. hopefully the changeover should be minimal.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If they are selling you at good price, better buy and rebuild the zd30.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BeeSure View Post
    if I had the time I'd really like to do the same, but ive got too much on at the moment. if the engine is not too bad I'll probably get an engine rebuilder to rebuild it. did you do all the NADS stuff? if so, was it difficult?
    Yeh mate in the process of doing full NADS at the moment, dawes valve in, catch can in, glowplug timer will go in when parts turn up, boost and egt guages in, not that hard if your mechnically minded or have someone who is to help you, just takes time

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the hardest bit of my rebuild was the gearbox conversion i did, manual to auto... nomad valve body and hgm aftermarket auto computer but have it all up and running now.. not long now and ill take it on its first big trip to test it

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12