Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking to fix a 2001 GU 3.0TDI

Hello everyone,
    My In-laws 2001 GU3.0TDI just blew its engine at 240,000ks. They were on their way up the NSW coast from Melbourne with a caravan and it just started shaking badly, lots of smoke, black oil, no power. It been towed back home now. The engine starts but it sounds like only 1 or 2 cylinders, shaking like crazy & no power. They've had a really bad run with the Patrol in the last 6 months, broke down 3 times, so they just bought a Territory and offered the Patrol to me for basically wrecking price. I'd really like to take them up on the offer because I know they looked after it and a GU Patrol would help me for my work & maybe some 4WD trips, though I'm really new to the 4WD scene.
    I'm assuming a new engine is required. I think I'd go with either the 2.8 (I'm told, apparently a bit more reliable but less power) or another 3.0 engine. I've been suggested some other engines (V6, V8 etc), which would be great, but I'm guessing they would be pricey. If I do go with either the 2.8 or 3.0 I'd definitely be doing the NADS stuff, so putting that aside, can anyone help me with these questions -
    1. Would you recommend getting the existing engine rebuilt? It turns over but I don't know anything else. I know they replaced the injector pump about 3 months ago and it was servcied by Nissan about a week before they left.
    2. Whats the general price difference between a reco'd ZD30 engine and a new ZD30 engine?
    3. Where is the best place to look for engines? I know there are some companies in NSW & Qld. what about Vic?
    Cheers, Bill

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,293 Times in 6,438 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Try SMS diesel spares for a new engine. I reckon you wont see change out of 6k whichever way you go. Unless you go the TD42, then its 10k....

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    4.2T/D if you can spare the $$$$$ faultless motor go forever
    3lt TD get the common rail or you may have the same problems
    Stick with a nissan engine Dont go down the V8 road M2Cw
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depends on how much $$$ you got and time.
    Got $ and time. TD42 or good V8 conversion
    Got limited $ and no time. Swap for what you have and do NADS at same time.
    I got a 3.0L. Wish it was 4.2TD. Goes well so far and saving for a possible LS3 V8 chev as another forum mbr has already done. This may not be their option as petrol and towing usually = fuel fuel fuel
    06 GU IV Nissan Patrol wagon 3.0L, Tough Dog 2" lift, Xrox bar, 12k Mako winch, 33" muddies, 3" exhaust, Awning, UHF, drawers & fridge, custom sliders, DVDs, custom water tank and pump, rack etc etc.
    Now just in - GQ Shorty 4.2 petrol, UHF - but looking at turbo or V8 conversion

Thanks
    Thanked 1,525 Times in 887 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking to fix a 2001 GU 3.0TDI

I have a feeling (not sure though) some people have forced the issue with Nissan and some limited success with Nissan coughing up short motors to replace the exploded one give it was a known fault.......

Tip tip tip......tap tap tap....

1997 GQ Patrol RX, TB42E. Mods: OME 2" lift, 33" BFG KM2'S, ARB winch bar & reconditioned X9 Superwinch, IPF 900 spotties HID conversion, ARB side steps and scrub bars, Kaymar rear step & spare wheel carrier & jerry holder, Rear 55W LED worklight, Safari Snorkel, 147L LRA tank, Extended diff breathers, dual batteries, GME UHF, Home built drawer and fridge slide, ARB 60L fridge.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you considered what a running 2001 patrol is really worth seems to me to be an uneconomic proposition,fine if you want to complete the project for non economic reasons...all the best.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudski View Post
    Try SMS diesel spares for a new engine. I reckon you wont see change out of 6k whichever way you go. Unless you go the TD42, then its 10k....
    Hey! Rob from SMS Diesel =]

Zd30 engines love the work if they are taken care of,

However its not cheap... if you have any mechanic friends try them first and see if there is anything major wrong and see if it can be repaired.

If its rebuildable, then you have to worrie about your pump and injectors and they condition.

If its not rebuildable, we can do recon exchange motors.

Give me a call or email and I can let you know what I can do for you.
    07 3277 9888
    robertg@smsdiesel.com.au

Regards,

Rob

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SupRob For This Useful Post:

BeeSure (16th February 2013), threedogs (16th February 2013)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pepper View Post
    Have you considered what a running 2001 patrol is really worth seems to me to be an uneconomic proposition,fine if you want to complete the project for non economic reasons...all the best.
    Yes, that has crossed my mind. I'm still trying figure out if the engine can be rebuilt. they put in a new injector pump late last year. tyres are virtually new and has a good winch. they only towed a caravan and it was regularly serviced. The engine does run but vibrates a lot. I think I'll get it towed to my mechanic and make a decision then. cheers

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SupRob View Post
    Hey! Rob from SMS Diesel =]

Zd30 engines love the work if they are taken care of,

However its not cheap... if you have any mechanic friends try them first and see if there is anything major wrong and see if it can be repaired.

If its rebuildable, then you have to worrie about your pump and injectors and they condition.

If its not rebuildable, we can do recon exchange motors.

Give me a call or email and I can let you know what I can do for you.
    07 3277 9888
    robertg@smsdiesel.com.au

Regards,

Rob
    thanks Rob, I'm going to do just that. the engine does run, but it vibrates quite a bit. new injector pump was put in late last year. I'm going to wait and see what my mechanic says before I do anything. cheers, Bill

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hey mate

I just finished rebuilding a zd30, what a job, rebuild cost me about $3500 with new injectors, waterpump, timing chain, belts, hoses etc... long process doing it in spare time though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast