OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Cant get auto transmission in 89 GQ auto to go into diagnostic mode.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,883 Times in 3,670 Posts
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alitis007 View Post

I see you posted the same thing the other thread you started.
    Yeah mate it might be a little easier to follow if you keep it all in one thread instead of double posting
    Hello from Under Down Under!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 4,882 Times in 3,232 Posts
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ckh View Post
    Looking at the button in your pick on the right side of the shifter, with the scuff marks, thats the button I'm refering to, to put it in first you have to press button in, but when in first button doesnt come back out, like in second, drive, etc....
    that is correct

1st gear the button stays in
    2nd - Out
    D - Out
    N - Out
    R - Out
    P - Out

Running down through the gears Changing from Park to Reverse you need to press the button in and then from Second to First, all gears in between you can change without pressing the button in
    Running up through you only need to press the button going from Reverse to Park
    Time is never wasted when your wasted all the time

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to NissanGQ4.2 For This Useful Post:

taslucas (10th February 2013)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have edited all your other posts with the same original question, please try and keep the same questions in one thread

Cheers

Todd

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Re: Cant get auto transmission in 89 GQ auto to go into diagnostic mode.

Read your post, but could see how you resolved not being able to get inbto diagnostic mode...
    Sorry I dont understand that bit?

FanTapstic!

ckh
    Quote Originally Posted by taslucas View Post
    Sorry I dont understand that bit?

FanTapstic!
    How did you fix your problem of it not being able to go into diagnostic mode?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1 at around 90-95ish every now and then the lockup will drop out for a split second, can see the tacho jump for a fraction of a second, if I didnt have a tacho wouldnt even notice it.
    You say if u didn't have a tacho you wouldn't notice it, to me that sounds like it may not be be dropping out, I believe if it dropped out you would notice it without a tacho, more than likely an electrical problem if that's the case. And the GQ auto's are know to jump in and out on hills hence the manual lock ups

2 Cant perform self diagnostics on transmission like I used to, go though the normal proceedure and when I press the accelerator pedal, the power light just stays on, on this I noticed in this proceedure is when I put it in first and hit the power button the lock button on the side of the shifter doesnt come out. If I start the car up its will drive in first gear if I select first, I'm just pulling my hair out with what is stopping the system from going into diagnostic mode reading the manual it say if the power light stay on and doesnt go though the test its either Inhibitor switch, power shift switch, kick down switch idle switch or the A/T controler is damaged.
    I'm assuming kick down is working and when driving, it kicks down when I floor it, everything else seems to be doing what its supposed to appart from the intermitant unlocking around 95, if I'm doing a 100 or more it does seem to unlock at all. could the fact the button on the side of the shifter isnt coming out, be the problem, and the computer doesnt see its actually in first for the next step in the diagnostics? Took it back to the tranny guy at underwood, he said not to stress about the computer not doing the diagnostics, or the fact that it trips out of lock up intermitentally, if any one can give me juggestion on what the problem could be I'd appreicate it, is the button on the side of the shifter supposed to come out as it does in every other gear I select?
    The button on side of shifter is just that, can't see it being a problem

Not sure on diagnostic light staying on but could also be caused by an electrical issues.

Have you checked all earthing to make sure you have good earth's

ckh
    Quote Originally Posted by NissanGQ4.2 View Post
    You say if u didn't have a tacho you wouldn't notice it, to me that sounds like it may not be be dropping out, I believe if it dropped out you would notice it without a tacho, more than likely an electrical problem if that's the case. And the GQ auto's are know to jump in and out on hills hence the manual lock ups
    Yesterday when I took it back to the transmission center, he asked me to wire up a test light to the solinoid wire, can confirm that when the tacho jumps, the light on the solinoid wire flickers..

The button on side of shifter is just that, can't see it being a problem

Not sure on diagnostic light staying on but could also be caused by an electrical issues.

Have you checked all earthing to make sure you have good earth's
    manual it say if the power light stay on and doesnt go though the test its either Inhibitor switch, power shift switch, kick down switch idle switch or the A/T controler is damaged.
    1. Inhibitor switch must be working as I can only start the car when in park or neutral.
    2. power shift switch is working as when triving if I hit the power switch, it drops down to 3rd, when I turn switch of it will go into 4th and then converter lockup if doing over 85
    3 kick down switch is working as if I press accelerator hard it unlocks converter and kicks down a gear, or if driving slowly will drop down a gear, if going really slow and hit the pedal, it kicks down and the power light comes on.
    4 idle switch dont know how to check this one
    5. A/T controler is damaged. cant test this either as dont have a spare A/T controler at the moment but may be aquiring on in a few weeks.

The tranny guy adjusted my TPS but I noticed today when trying to do self diagnostic's the second I tyrn the key to "on" I could hear a buzzing type sound, climbed under the car and could hear it was coming from inside transmission, disconnecting wiring loom near battery "brown plug" stopped the buzzing..
    Adjust TPS back to its origional position and when turn key to on, no buzzing, any one have any idea what would be buzzing in side the tranny. I'm going to call the tranny guy on monday to see what he says.

Also regarding converter unlocking for a split second, only does it between 85-95ish, if I sit on 100 or more, it doesnt flicker the test light, or the tacho, might cut the solinoid wire again tomorrow and run 12V to it via a switch, and see if that stops the intermitent unlock by bypassing the computer all together.
    But when I try to do diagnostics, still get same result power like just stays solid, pre him putting the new converter in could do self diagnostics time after time... so something has happended when he has had the tranny out..... I'm open to suggestions to try, and or to give me more questions to throw at him on monday..

Thanks
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Re: Problem with auto converter isnt locking up

cant get transmission to go into diagnosic mode, power light stays on, no codes

manual it say if the power light stay on and doesnt go though the test its either Inhibitor switch, power shift switch, kick down switch idle switch or the A/T controler is damaged.
    How do mean the transmission isn't going into self diagnosis mode? It's showing up a code by the light staying on isn't it?

Also, I checked my auto shifter and my button doesn't pop out when in first. It works just as NissanGQ said.

FanTapstic!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Re: Cant get auto transmission in 89 GQ auto to go into diagnostic mode.

How did you fix your problem of it not being able to go into diagnostic mode?
    How is it not in diagnosis mode?
    What do you think diagnostic mode is?

Quote Originally Posted by NissanGQ4.2 View Post
    I have edited all your other posts with the same original question, please try and keep the same questions in one thread

Cheers

Todd
    Yeah you've tripple posted again mate. Can you please keep them in one thread as Todd had suggested? It makes it really hard to follow.

FanTapstic!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Marc, I have closed your other threads, It's very hard to keep track of what's already been suggested when there are answers to the same question in three various threads.

Cheers

Todd

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast