OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Thread: Nozzles or sprayers for TD 42 injectors.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nozzles or sprayers for TD 42 injectors.

Hello friends,

I am in dire need of the knowledge and expertise from some of you members.

I have been having problems with my 91 GQ Patrol. It has been putting out much raw diesel smoke from the exhaust and has been knocking and clacking at higher RPM's. I was told to check the injectors first, so that is what I am going to do. It is definitely a problem with the injectors or fuel pump.

My mechanic told me I should change the nozzles or sprayers on the injectors and that would straighten out the problem. Another mechanic told me if we just change the nozzles and do not calibrate the injectors, that the problem may be even worse.

Do any of you have experience changing the nozzles on the injectors? What advice can you offer me in this situation? I love my Patrol but for the last 6 months or so I have had this problem and I need to get to a solution before I really damage the motor.

I thank you for sharing your advice and knowledge on this issue in advance.

Kristofer

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    is it Turbo Charged?

Is it consistent black smoke or splutterings and bellows of smoke? Has it been happening for a long time or getting worse and worse?

We generally do a Change Over Injector here rather than attempt to reco at home! You might need to buy a new set mate and then they will be a drop in. you will likely need a fuel rail too as it will probably break during the change over?

There are a few companies that do an exchange basis for Injectors here in OZ. you pay full price, receive the injectors, pull out the old ones and return to sender and they refund a "Bond" for the change over.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Here is a link to Ebay Australia. Heaps on there and would be a much easier way to do it mate.

eBay search - TD42 Injector

Hope that helps mate, good luck
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!

The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My TD 42 is not turbo. It is just the standard motor that originally came with the car when it was made back in 1991. The smoke is not black unless I push the engine hard, around 2500-3000 RPM's. There is generally always (even idling) a white smoke that stinks coming out. I was told that was unburnt or raw diesel. It is burning a little bit of oil these days too. It has been happening for about the last 6 months now. I was going to try to save some money by just changing the nozzles on the injectors but now I am not sure what to do.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see where they also sell just the nozzles on eBay. Is it really difficult or complicated to change just the nozzles? Does anyone else have any input or ideas on this subject? I may just buy the injectors new or reconditioned. I am just trying to save money where I can. Sometimes trying to save money can wind up being more expensive and time consuming in the end. A problem I am finding on eBay is that many sellers do not ship to the USA and I will need them to be sent there. Thank you Mudrunner TD for your input! More thoughts and input is greatly appreciated.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it is knocking, you may find it has broken a injector spring also. I have had this happen a couple of times. Broke the spring, jammed the nozzle, knock knock knock, white smoke, miss at idle.
    It costs like $60-70 a injector to have them rebuilt and the crack pressure's reset, and they should come back with new washers to install them.
    It's hardly worth doing it yourself, by the time you set yourself up a pop tester, buy nozzles, maybe a few springs, shims etc hmmm, I don't think you would be saving much.
    Oops I see you are in Honduras is it?
    Any diesel place should be able to rebuild them, I'm sure they would be able to just order in zexel nozzles if needed. I think they can be lapped if not to far gone. Then get them reset to 110bar.

Marty
    Last edited by Bambill; 9th February 2013 at 09:08 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Bambill For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (9th February 2013)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you Marty and MudrunnerTD for your advice!

I will be ordering new injectors from Australia and sending them over to Honduras very soon.

Does anyone have any advice on the injectors change job? I do not want to break the fuel rail! Is there a way we could avoid doing that or should I just order a new one to go along with the injectors? It seems like the job should be pretty simple, just take out the old ones and drop in the new ones. Ideas or advice anyone?

Thanks again for your help.
    Kristofer

Thanks
    Thanked 4,611 Times in 3,108 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Nozzles or sprayers for TD 42 injectors.

Changing is quite simple mate.
    Remove the air filter box from the top of the motor. Undo the fuel supply lines, then fuel return lines the undo the injectors.

Basically work your way down to them, remove what you have to, the pit it all back...

Kallen Westbrook
    Owner of
    Westy's Accessories
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

Thanks
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    When i did the injectors on my GQ many years ago i could not undo teh injector without breaking the fuel rail and i ended up taking it somewhere and they did the work. Just be very gentle. Spray all your parts with WD40 (Penetrating spray) now in anticipation and hopefully it all comes apart easily.

Good luck mate.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks to all for your advice help! I am ordering the injectors from Australia tomorrow and I will go ahead and spray with my injectors some WD40 in anticipation of the job that will be done.

I hope the knocking, poor fuel economy, and white smoking exhaust fumes will be fixed by this job. I will let you all know how it goes when it is done.

Kristofer