Thread: Clutch question

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Clutch question

Hi all

When pushing the pedal down on the clutch, it feels as if it has air in the system. So I bled it and it felt the same. So I put a new line and slave cylinder in and ditched the damper line. While it definitely feels better, it still feels as if it has air in the system. So having alook under the car at the slave cylinder, it appears that the fork coming out of the bell housing has abit of extra movement. I don't really know how to explain it. I'm thinking what I've found is that when pushing the pedal down, it gets to half way, then finally engages the pressure plate, then the rest of the travel of the pedal engages the clutch so i can put it in gear. I've had the patrol for a little over a month and while its drive able, I'd much prefer the feel of a full pedal. Anyone got any ideas here?

Cheers

Andy

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Clutch question

Do you have a heap of free play at the pedal?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No free play at the pedal. Had the wife in the patrol pushing the pedal up to the stiff point and the slave cylinder was moving as it should. I'm thinking either the rod coming out of the slave cylinder is too short, the fork is bent slightly, or there is something wrong with the pressure plate.

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,613 Times in 723 Posts
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Praksy if the shaft was short the piston would pop out of the cylinder
    going by what you have said you may have a broken diaphragm in the pressure plate
    You haven't stated if the clutch slips or not or if the clutch has been replaced.
    Normally if the clutch is just warn out it will release right at the top of the pedal travel
    if it has a broken diaphragm the pedal will feel soft then frim and release ta the bottom of the pedal travel
    Also if its broken the diaphragm if you give it a bit of stick it will slip

6. The Following User Says Thank You to pearcey For This Useful Post:

Parksy (7th February 2013)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks pearcey, clutch doesn't slip. But going by your description it sounds like a broken diaphragm. Any way to confirm this as definite?

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not really mate spent 40 years in the industry and some times things can be totally wrong in the diagnosis
    One thing I would do is to run the engine and with very light pressure on the clutch pedal see if you can feel any thrust bearing wobble
    that is if the pedal slightly vibrates or pulsates. If the diaphragm is cracked the finger heights are normally uneven and sometimes you can feel it in the pedal. If it`s had a new clutch fitted it may be OK and just be the settings with in the pressure plate IE where the diaphragm rolls over the fulcrum ring.Different brands slightly different feel.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to pearcey For This Useful Post:

Parksy (9th February 2013)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks pearcey, much appreciated. Will try and feel for any pedal feel, would it be worth trying to feel for something at the slave cylinder/fork?

Hopefully it's just had an aftermarket clutch fitted. It doesn't slip or show any signs of weakness.

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try and find out if a clutch has been fitted. You could pull the fork boot back and see if the pressure plate is painted as genuine are not.
    Most times if the diaphragm is cracked it will slip. Also is it a boosted clutch they can some times give a very light feel at the top of the pedal

12. The Following User Says Thank You to pearcey For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is a boosted clutch. With the engine off, pushing the pedal down feels like I'm getting full pressure the entire way down but with the engine running, it's light for the first half. Will pull the boot off and see what I can find.

Cheers

Thanks
    Thanked 4,670 Times in 3,128 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Clutch question

Quote Originally Posted by Parksy View Post
    It is a boosted clutch. With the engine off, pushing the pedal down feels like I'm getting full pressure the entire way down but with the engine running, it's light for the first half. Will pull the boot off and see what I can find.

Cheers
    Before pulling things apart, check for leaks in the vacuum line. If your breaks are fine then I'd say it would be close to the master cylinder.

If you find the hose pop ot off while running and there should be a noticeable suction. Nothing to rip skin off but should hold to your finger easily..

Kallen Westbrook
    Owner of
    Westy's Accessories
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

15. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRAWesty For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast