OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Theory behind blocking out Number Plates in Pics..

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Theory behind blocking out Number Plates in Pics..

I was reading a members rides thread and someone asked "why do people bother blocking out the number plates in pictures?"

There's 3 good reasons that I can think of;

1. Theft/Vandalism. Believe it or not, there are low-lives on all kinds of forums from pedophiles, stalkers, thieves etc. It's something we don't think about but no doubt that they are out there.

If I was a thief, I could scout out your car with a bit of effort.

*People usually have their location under their user name. Great, you're in my area.
    *Those pictures of your car look familiar. I reckon I've seen it around. Beauty.
    *The poser pics you did at work/local IGA/recognisable car park, I know the area. Think I might just hang around there in case I see you, then follow you.
    *And to top it off, I can marry up the plates from the pics on the forum to the car in real life, just to be doubly sure.

2. Police visit forums for illegal activity. Now I have no experience with this on 4WD forums, only performance car forums, but I can't see why they wouldn't frequent all car forums that matter. Police are cracking down on 4WD'ers a lot now for all kinds of different reasons. That massive turbo you just put on your 4WD, or that V8 you've just plonked in, is that legal? You won't want any unwanted attention really. Sure, your car can be identified by other means, but a lot of cars look the same and 4WD's have a lot of the same mods. License plates are the determining factor.

3. Selling of your vehicle may be affected by your plates. You've posted up all of these pics on forums of your 4WD doing some hardcore tracks, door handle deep in bog-holes, laying over on it's side etc.. Then you're trying to sell it and some people are cluey to what you've done. It can make things difficult for yourself.

I realise these points seem pretty far out and hopefully, the likely-hood of anything like this happening to you is 1,000,000,000 to 1. Just bear them in mind next time you post your pictures up with your plates showing and ask yourself, what if?

================================================== ==================
    This was added by YNOT and deserves to be here;

2 more reasons to block number plates.

1; Insurance companies can look at forums like this and may find what they consider reasonable evidence to reject a claim, even if what they find is actually unrelated to the claim. ie, some insurance companies only cover you on gazetted roads, if they find evidence of you in a 4WD park they may consider that grounds to reject your claim.

2; Warranty. I know from my time with Ford that members of the FPV owners club had driveline warranty claims rejected after Ford had a look on their club website and found photos of the cars on track days. Same could happen with Nissan.

Really good points.
    Last edited by Timbo; 3rd December 2010 at 11:23 PM.

2. The Following 25 Users Say Thank You to Timbo For This Useful Post:

89GQ (1st December 2010), AB (1st December 2010), ashleylipus (16th October 2012), Chubba (8th October 2015), colesy123 (8th December 2011), Finly Owner (1st December 2010), janderson (22nd December 2014), Moozle2000 (2nd January 2015), mudnut (22nd December 2014), NissanGQ4.2 (1st December 2010), Oversize (22nd February 2012), patch697 (1st December 2010), PatRocRan (9th August 2014), Patrol-Guy (28th December 2013), Rustyboner81 (9th August 2012), Sherro (5th April 2014), Sir Roofy (22nd January 2011), SonOf (9th May 2013), taslucas (7th February 2012), twisty (9th February 2012), Wetty (18th June 2012), wildgu6 (1st December 2010), Woof (3rd December 2010), xtreme patrol (9th February 2012), YNOT (1st December 2010)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 20,759 Times in 8,579 Posts
    Mentioned
    581 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Good post mate, That pretty covers the whole reason why.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,206 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Timbo ... I am a repeat offender for leaving the plates in piccies soooooo, best I don't do it anymore!!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All of the above. Well said buddy.
    I was even a bit dubious about putting my exact location on the members map.
    Thats why I dindt........lol

Cheers Pete.
    "Tonka Tuff" 08-GU6, 3.0lt crd, 5 Speed, Turbo Diesel, Hpd, Arb, Ome, MT Baja Atz.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,882 Times in 3,232 Posts
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    People are just 2 paranoid these days

1. Theft/Vandalism" - 99.99% chance it will get stolen from a random low life scum that just happens to be in the area at the time.

2. Police visit forums for illegal activity - If you car is modified and engineered you have nothing to worry about, if not your breaking the law.

3. Selling of your vehicle may be affected by your plates - I'm sure anyone that has half a brain cell could work out without the knowledge of number plates its your 4b

That's just my 2 cents worth

But as you say Timbo 1,000,000,000 to 1 chance - oh sh*t think someone just drove my 4b out the driveway, guess i shouldn't of left the keys on the ignition

Good write up by the way Timbo

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,137 Times in 1,001 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2 more reasons to block number plates.

1; Insurance companies can look at forums like this and may find what they consider reasonable evidence to reject a claim, even if what they find is actually unrelated to the claim. ie, some insurance companies only cover you on gazetted roads, if they find evidence of you in a 4WD park they may consider that grounds to reject your claim.

2; Warranty. I know from my time with Ford that members of the FPV owners club had driveline warranty claims rejected after Ford had a look on their club website and found photos of the cars on track days. Same could happen with Nissan.

Tony

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to YNOT For This Useful Post:

Finly Owner (1st December 2010), Timbo (3rd December 2010), Woof (3rd December 2010)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I choose to block and only people I choose to meet know my plate No.

Tim
    Getting Older Is Unavoidable, Growing Up Is Optional!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,788 Times in 2,090 Posts
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks heaps for this thread Timbo, I have always said to blank out your plates before posting photos but you went a did some research and posted it up here for all to see.
    Bloody great job there mate, well done
    If any members require assistance in anything regarding this forum, just let me know via a PM and I will help you in any way that I can.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How do i do it, what do i need on my computer to be able to do this.
    Watch out there's a Poo "Yota" lurking in the shadows !

Thanks
    Thanked 4,882 Times in 3,232 Posts
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuf 42 View Post
    How do i do it, what do i need on my computer to be able to do this.
    Kelvin,

Microsoft paint that comes with windows does the job, all photo editing programs should do the job as well in MS Paint

Open MS Paint, then open up your photo,

Select the color icon, then single left mouse click on the background color of your number plate.
    Select the Pencil Icon, then hold down the left mouse button while moving the mouse over your number plate.

Attachment 2373
    Time is never wasted when your wasted all the time

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast