2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the replys, and I don't mind the thread turning into debate as I always learn quite a lot by reading it. So to narrow down this problem ill try to clarify what's going on a little bit. The noise is only sometimes there. Quiet often it sounds normal which makes it damn hard to show anyone what's going on because it doesn't do it when you want it to. It only happens when at idle and the vehicle is in neutral. As far as I know it's not there when driving at all. When the sound is there it stops when the clutch is depressed and comes back when released. We tried the suggestion of putting it in fifth and it did stall. The knocking seems to be with the speed of the idle, if you rev just a little bit it speeds up however if you rev too much the knocking seems to smooth out. Cheers guys!!

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the knocking nise to and it is not the clutch it is in the engine i have the 1989 diesel gq patrol lwb but mine over heats constantly

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will suggest it is just gear rollover.
    When in neutral and it is making the noise, without using the clutch, put a bit of pressure on the gearstick like trying to put it into a gear.
    If the noise stops/quietens it is just rollover and is nothing to worry about.
    If it has a multi rate clutch plate in it the noise will get lounder as the centre spring section loosens over time, still nothing to worry about.

After going back and reading your post again I would put my left knacker on gear rollover.

Marty
    Last edited by Bambill; 21st February 2013 at 09:11 PM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Could just be the "classic" gearbox rattle that ALL manual Patrols have to some degree.
    Caused by the small change in engine revs at idle due to compression pressure and nothing to worry about.
    1990 Maverick TD42 NA
    Stuff added
    20' of caravan behind

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm going to place my bets on Clutch Release Bearing. Mine does the same rattttt-aaa-tttatling. Had one before that done the same thing and changed the release bearing, poifect after that, had these issues with land rovers and in emergency had to burst a small hole on the bellhousing to drip a little lube on to make the few thousand mile home (Land Rover ones being incredibly weak though). My truck has been making this knocking rattle for about 15k miles and I'm not overly worried about it. Will order up paddle clutch with HD bearing and fit on a rainy day in a few months time.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 6cyltdi View Post
    I'm going to place my bets on Clutch Release Bearing. Mine does the same rattttt-aaa-tttatling. Had one before that done the same thing and changed the release bearing, poifect after that, had these issues with land rovers and in emergency had to burst a small hole on the bellhousing to drip a little lube on to make the few thousand mile home (Land Rover ones being incredibly weak though). My truck has been making this knocking rattle for about 15k miles and I'm not overly worried about it. Will order up paddle clutch with HD bearing and fit on a rainy day in a few months time.
    My thoughts exactly i had the same problem

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gearbox input bearings

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12