OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Airbag steering wheel removal advice please.

us poms are crap at cricket fracster's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,015 Times in 387 Posts
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Airbag steering wheel removal advice please.

My steering wheel does not sit straight when the car is going in a straight line, just a little thing but it is bugging me.

However, being a lover of older cars, I have never taken a steering wheel off that has an airbag built in. Could any of you guys give me some help and advice please?

Just need to turn the wheel maybe two splines anti clockwise.
    It is now official, we are not quite so sh@t at cricket as we were! Rugby Union is a different matter.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sure it just doesnt need a wheel alignment?? If your set on doing it tho disconnect your battery for 15min to drain the caps in the sas module and then just start pulling it apart like a normal steering wheel, you will need a pick tho to pull back the plug lock on the airbag connector.

us poms are crap at cricket fracster's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,015 Times in 387 Posts
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Probably easier just to get the re-alignment done as you say. Tyres wear even so nothing amiss.

I just thought removing the wheel may be easier, guess i`m wrong on that score.

These dastardly "new" cars...............

Thanks for the info.
    It is now official, we are not quite so sh@t at cricket as we were! Rugby Union is a different matter.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To remove the airbag from a gu patrol is quite easy simple disconnect the positive cable from the Battery (s) wait about 5 minute for the electrical system to DE-engergise the electrical system, remove the 2 screw locate each side of the steering wheel, then the airbag can be removed unplug the power cable, and remove, then you can get access to the steering wheel nut, and refit in reverse connect the battery last.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,335 Times in 6,450 Posts
    Mentioned
    465 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Funny this. My GU is exactly the same. I just trying to find a nice GU leather one with the cruise buttons to buy whilst I fix it up...

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How does the airbag connector on the horn pad come off?
    Tried softly to pull off but don't want to break it.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,335 Times in 6,450 Posts
    Mentioned
    465 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Its a clip type setup. From memory. It will come apart...

Thanks
    Thanked 2,062 Times in 938 Posts
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    id like Rodney to verify this info for you, but from memory on my 99GU.......

You don't need to wait 5 min after removing battery terminals (remove both NEG terrminals if you have 2 batteries) just flick your headlights on high beam, and pump the stop pedal a few times, this will absorb retained charge.

I like to remove the airbag fuse for good measure.

Place steering wheel angle where straight ahead position is when the "car" is going straight (so in your case wheel will be at a angle down a bit not level)

There is a plastic cover up under the horn pad as you look from underneath, remove this and you can then unclip the yellow airbag wire, and the black horn wire.

Two bolts each side of the horn pad are security bolts so you need the right bit, if you have cruise, you first need to remove the clip on cover and the 2 screws, to get the buttons off to reveal the horn pad bolt.

Afterboth bolts are removed, carefully remove horn pad, place the pad "face up" (so if bag goes off the s/wheel is not then a missile) in a safe area (not right next to you).

Undo the large nut in the centre of the wheel, do NOT remove it all the way off but leave it on a few turns, pull the wheel away on its spline, this can take some pulling, the nut now stops the the wheel (and you) flying into the back seat if its tight to get off.

Now you can remove nut and reposition wheel where you need.

Reverse procedure to install.

NOTE........ you may need a second person to assist in holding the wheel while you undo the bolts/nut, do NOT use the steering lock to stop the steering wheel turning to do this.

As suggested, a wheel align place can centre you steering wheel, and then make the tyres roll straight ahead to match.
    <a href=http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j320/02ard/PatrolcomAvatar-1-1.jpg target=_blank>http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j3...Avatar-1-1.jpg</a>

Thanks
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The bit you need to undo the airbag/horn pad bolts, is a Torx T-50, and must have the centre hole in the tip.
    <a href=http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j320/02ard/PatrolcomAvatar-1-1.jpg target=_blank>http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j3...Avatar-1-1.jpg</a>

Thanks
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another thing I forgot to add, is that "before" replacing the wheel, you need to slightly rotate the face of the clock spring to realign it back with the steering wheel you just moved, it has a plastic locating pin that goes into a hole on the back of the steering wheel.

Be careful not to bump the clock spring at any time, as if you spin it a full rotation and replace the wheel without resetting it, you may damage the ribbon cable inside the next time you hit full steering lock.

The clock spring is show in this first pic , yellow disk top right, (the white stuff on it, is masking tape around it to prevent accidental rotation.)

Steering wheel after removal of airbag/horn pad.

Inside the clock spring (do not pull apart unless you have to)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast