OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Just about to have a bloody bonfire!!!

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,546 Times in 1,116 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hopefully your next alternator will sort out all your problems. The most common cause of a battery draining overnight would be the alternator, if it's not that, then we need to start looking at aftermarket accessories fitted to your vehicle. Get the alternator charging first then we can worry about that.

You loose key/ignition switch is more then likely caused by a worn key, do you have a second key you can try?

From what you have posted I don't think you have any major problems with your dual battery setup, because the 2nd battery has always been able to start the vehicle.

Saying that they don't last for ever, so it might be a good idea to upgrade it.

Cheers Rodney

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yendor For This Useful Post:

Bloodyaussie (3rd February 2013), DX grunt (3rd February 2013)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I didn't think the alternator would drain the battery overnight, however I've never really played around with them much and I didn't realize there was 12v going to them with the ignition off, so if I had the leaky diode it would explain it. I thought it was strange that if I drove the car it would be flat, but if I parked it for 3 weeks or so I could get in and start it, but if it wasn't supplying enough power, the battery would have been continually drained, and drained further at night when it was parked. Makes sense when you know, cheers!

You're probably right, the aux battery is always charged so possibly the dual battery setup is working, and due to the old alternator not charging 100%, the aux battery got more charge than the start battery. Ill fit a new alternator shortly and see how it all goes, and possibly change the dual battery system over if I still have dramas, and then have the battery checked as my last resort.

God I'm pissed off now, it was an absolute prick to fit, I had to do it in between parenting duties waiting for kids to sleep or go for a walk with mum, got it all fitted up and it's worse than before.

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,277 Times in 3,275 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GQPorkroll View Post
    God I'm pissed off now, it was an absolute prick to fit, I had to do it in between parenting duties waiting for kids to sleep or go for a walk with mum, got it all fitted up and it's worse than before.
    I know your pain mate... sometimes the smallest jobs turn into the biggest drain just from the distractions of bringing kiddies into the world!!!!!!

You are in good hands with Yendor... he has no sense of humor but does know his electrics!!!! he he!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 4,656 Times in 3,122 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Just about to have a bloody bonfire!!!

I'll bring the marshmallows...

Ow, sorry. Not cool. Hope you get it sorted..

Kallen Westbrook
    Owner of
    Westy's Accessories
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dont know a lot about electrics but if it is the alternator why would it be charging the aux batt and not the crank, to me i would have checked the duel batt set up, but like I said dont know much bout electrics, so would be interesting to know what the prob is and to understand how that could happen as most duel batt set ups should charge the crank batt over the aux. I am just asking for personal interest and not disagreeing with Yendor as He obviously knows what he is talking about and my understanding of it is way off.

Live life, Love life.
    Snatch straps on towballs can harm and/or kill!!!!!!

Banned
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by krbrooking View Post
    I dont know a lot about electrics but if it is the alternator why would it be charging the aux batt and not the crank, to me i would have checked the duel batt set up, but like I said dont know much bout electrics, so would be interesting to know what the prob is and to understand how that could happen as most duel batt set ups should charge the crank batt over the aux. I am just asking for personal interest and not disagreeing with Yendor as He obviously knows what he is talking about and my understanding of it is way off.

The alternator only stopped charging today after it was replaced. At the moment neither battery is being charged.

Quote Originally Posted by GQPorkroll View Post

Changed the alternator today, shit got worse. Main battery isn't getting any charge at all. I put my multimeter across the battery and it was draining with the truck on, the block behind it that is for the dual battery set up showed 11v on one and 9v on the other. Couldn't access the alternator to get an accurate reading, however it's all the same, I put a new terminal on the positive lead as this alternator has a bigger bolt, and I had to reposition the earth lead to another place on the alternator. The plug to the regulator is connected securely and all bolts for battery wire and earth are tight.

Previously the problem was the main battery would go flat overnight and he would need to use the second battery to start the vehicle.

Going by the voltmeter in the vehicle the old alternator was charging around 13ish volts.

The old alternator was replaced for possible being the cause of drain that was flattening the battery overnight.

There is a chance there are other problems with the vehicle as well (especially with the battery that only has 9 volts) but we need to get the alternator charging first.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry must have read it wrong makes a lot more sense now thanks for clearing that up Yendor.

Live life, Love life.
    Snatch straps on towballs can harm and/or kill!!!!!!

Banned
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    No worries, it was a very good first post, it had a lot of information in it.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry I should have said that the crank battery actually had 11.5v in it initially, but as it sat for a few days I put a jump start pack on it (gas and running MSD) but when I jump started it, it ran, and disconnected the jump pack, then reading gave me 9v after running the truck for a few minutes when it started to splutter, and I twigged that the alternator wasn't charging as it was just draining my battery and then shutting down when it ran out of power.

Alternator is off now, taking it back in first thing tomorrow, get another one on the way and possibly even get my original e reconditioned, if an aftermarket one was faulty from the box I can't bring myself to throw a genuine one out if it may only need a small repair.

Ill keep everyone posted.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No mention of the magic smoke. Once the magic smoke gets out all h*ll breaks loose!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast