User Tag List

Thread: Ideas for snorkel setup on gas.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ideas for snorkel setup on gas.

Looking to finally fit my snorkel, I bought a 4" stainless pipe snorkel. There's no filter or snorkel head on top, just a 45 degree rubber elbow.

I don't have a canister filter on the left hand inside of my engine bay and presently I have a MSD unit and my HID ballasts in that area. I will be relocating all of this to make room for the snorkel to come through in the normal position.

I have a second battery above my wheel arch, or roughly in the same area as my start battery, on the other side. On the firewall on the passenger side I have my gas converter, so my snorkel entry point is pretty much limited to the standard position, shame, as I'd like to enter in line with the carb and just run a pipe straight across, rather than from the front.

At first I planned to use a factory canister airbox in the LHF area but it would be a total pain in the arse to get all the adapters from 4" to 3" and make everything line up, plus move all the wiring/hoses/lines etc that are there. I bought one but perhaps I got the wrong one as I don't think it would fit without a lot of modification. I have a factory oval airbox I was going to cut up to fit over the holley but my main problem then is it has a square pipe not a round one and that means more pissing around to get things to

So now I will be fitting a carb hat to the holley, it completely seals the carb off and has a 4" outlet but no filter. My plan is to use this and get a length of 4" stainless, connect it to the carb hat and come straight across the engine, add a 45 degree bend and run it over to the inner guard where the snorkel enters and then make up brackets to hold it all in place, so that side of things will be watertight and secure, but I won't have any filter. I have seen some in-line filters but they're about 6" round and I don't think I have clearance to add one of these in line and close my bonnet. They're a bit pricey too, close to $200. It would really add up if I used one of these.

I had planned on running a pod type filter on top of the end of the snorkel, but I hate pods, and I don't think they'd be weatherproof. Most snorkel tops I have seen are for 3" pipe and don't have a filter in them. I have seen some pre filters which are round and although they're only 3" I could get a 4" to 3" silicone adapter and mount it to that. I think they're reasonably weatherproof as I've seen them on trucks and tractors and old 45 series Cruisers.

Assuming I did that and ran either a paper or foam element in there put some fly screen gauze on the end of the carb top and even some where the snorkel comes through the guard, would there be enough filtration for the average 4wder?

Am I doing it the hard way? Is there something simple I should be doing?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Just face it backwards and cut on 45
    have you thought what happens if filters get wet ???
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The filter I'm looking at is called a pre filter and sealed. I have to run some kind of filter to keep it legal. A paper filter is only a few bucks to replace so if it got wet I'd put a new one in, but I think for the most part they're weather proof.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    It needs a balance pipe too doesn't it ??
    Those small jet boats run paper filters as the foam are useless wet.
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Thanked 5,663 Times in 3,158 Posts
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It easy to modify a zd30 air box for a 4" snorkel then it's 3" from there to your carb. They bolt straight in and will be the cheapest and easiest adapte unit.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nissannewby For This Useful Post:

GQPorkroll (3rd February 2013), threedogs (3rd February 2013)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have really limited room though, I have a dual battery set up and I have a MSD unit, plus a big coil, a gas converter 3 HID ballasts on the passengers side. I don't have enough room to make the original barrel type filter fit behind the headlight without relocating heaps of stuff.

I can get a Donaldsan pre filter to suit a 4" ID pipe that is sealed and has a paper filter in it. Then all my other bits are 4" and I can piece it together with minimal bends and it should flow fairly well.

3 dogs, I spoke to the guy who sold me the carby and the gas fitter and apparently it will run a snorkel without any dramas at all as its a positive converter not one that relies on vacuum to draw the gas though. I may need to change jet sizes, however it's no biggie at all. Both told me a snorkel will make a huge difference to it, so ill preserver and add it to the list of shit I need to do....