Thread: plas rope

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,830 Times in 1,250 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    rope is a lot easier to work, once you try it you won’t go back to wire, the main reason i mentioned it jamming earlier is when most people upgrade to rope they more the likely upgrade its thickness and Length therefore maxing out the available space on the winch so for example if you are pulling slightly to the left and it keeps winding on itself and your unaware there’s a higher chance of it filling and jamming. The main thing that would kill your rope would be winching on rocks ledges and having it rub on the rocks so it’s just common sense treat it like you would any rope but keep in mind your pride any joy will be hanging on it lol.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    The big plus for me is that it is so much safer than a wire rope.
    If plasma breaks it basically falls to the ground with very little re coil you then tie a knot and continue.
    Wire rope will cut a limb clean off, must be some terrible injuries from days gone by, To avoid your plasma breaking over rocks
    pack a length of conveyor the width of your cargo area, lay it down over sharp rocky/terrain.
    Last edited by threedogs; 6th February 2013 at 07:17 PM.
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Thanked 12,426 Times in 6,262 Posts
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

plas rope

No splinters either. Those things suck.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It is a great technique when spooling on your rope to not be too concerned about nice layered runs. I fact they are your enemy. Tight spools like a steel cable will jamb if you do a big heavy hard winch pull and the upper layers will jamb and embed into the power layers and can be a right biatch to get out.

You should unspool at the top of the winch hill at least the amout of rope you just used and spool in properly.

Spooling properly should be done like this.

Winch in constantly. The winch man should allow the rope to spool on and every 15 seconds or so do a fast slash of the rope from one end of the drum to the other dissecting the spool. If that makes sense. You will do that 3 or 4 times back and forth then spool on straight again. Repeat.

This then puts cross sections under the layers of rope and the layers can't embed in the layers below.

Winner!
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

Ben-e-boy (6th February 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If you have a low mount with the brake in the drum which is where most of them (but not all) are located...... Avoid winching out unless it is absolutely necessary. Definitely resist the urge to power out the cable and disconnect the drive using the clutch and run out your rope by hand.

Winches with the brake in the drum disperse the heat generated by conduction thru the steel winch cable in contact with the drum and convection thru the air gaps in between the wraps.

Synthetic packs virtually flat with no air gap and is a very poor conductor of heat. This traps any heat in the drum and can be a significant issue. On a couple of occasions I have had to strip down winches for people that looked like a plastic dinner plate had been wrapped around the drum and melted with the oxy but the outer wraps were fine
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12