OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 98 GU 2.8 turbo diesel, worthy rigs?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

98 GU 2.8 turbo diesel, worthy rigs?

Gday im just tryin to get sum feedback on the 2.8 turbo diesel in the GU. Is it any good? Sounds like a small engine for a larger 4wd?
    Soooooo..... You come here often??

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I own a 99 2.8td gu. Yes it is a bit lazy in take off and does not overtake very well and if you are going to be towing I would steer clear and head towards a 4.2td. But I can't fault it off road with some 33's and a lift they are pretty much unstoppable I go anywhere all the other boy's go no worries. Engine wise if you treat it right and look after it machanically it will last. Just make sure the owner before did or fine tooth comb the engine and make sure the head is good.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,754 Times in 7,160 Posts
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    and probably a much safer bet than the early 3ltr 4 potters too

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RE: 98 GU 2.8 turbo diesel, worthy rigs?

I have a 97 gq 2.8 and I love it!! Sure it needs some balls but with fuel economy I get average 1300km on a 145lt tank as I drive 95% on road as a daily
    cheers stevo.
    green 1997 rx 2.8td manual, 2"liftkit with poli air in the rear, bullbar, ipf900 spotties, snorkle, uhf, 145lt longrange tank

soon to include 3" exhaust, custom psi/pyro gauge inbuilt to the dash and plenty natual pinstriping by the bush

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,277 Times in 3,275 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was told just the other day that the last of the 2.8's were the pick????

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    had a couple of 2.8 GU's and loved em, as old mate said they are a little under power but on the trails in low they go well also they do have an issue with the harmonic balancer but if you keep an eye on it they are fine. they also have a radiator that is not much chop and will do well with an after market unit. they also respond well to a 3" exhaust, one last thing is the injector pump is expensive to overhaul and is usually cheaper to just replace it with a new one. overall it is a great engine when treated right and will serve you well and the best part is you can pick up a great truck for not a lot of money just make sure you have it inspected and check service history, cheers and good luck with the hunt!
    2008 GU 2" LIFT, GME UHF BLACK KING WHEELS, SAFARI SNORKEL, LIGHTFORCE 240' KAYMAR DUAL WHEEL CARRIER STEINBAUER POWER, beaudesert 2 3/4 system, runva 11,000 comp winch.....

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi. I own a 2000 2.8. Love it. Yes they could use a bit more get up and go but if you drive with the quirks of the motor in mind then there are no dramas. They love to rev. I have a diesel chip but rarely use it. Does help with towing but even then I only tend to use it on long uphill runs. Have towed a 16ft van around NT no drama but that is pretty flat country. It is imperative to have the oil done every 5000 k's. Has performed with no drama both on and off road for me so I am more than happy with it. Life does go by slower in a 2.8 no doubt about it but what's the hurry?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G'day buddy. I have a 98 / 2.8Ti, Got no complaints fuel wise coz I'm use to driving V8s at $150 a week, with the 2.8ti it's down to $50 for an every day driver, couldn't give you exact mileage but cover a few Ks.
    As for power, down low its very slow off the mark, but when they get going they are great, lose power up long hiils on the black top though, they are a revvy motor so you need to keep them wound up for best results, never had an issue towing, but never pulled a c/van, jetskis and trailers not an issue, definitely would be a piece of poop with no turbo, it's only std though, have read if chipped and exhaust they have a lot more up and go.
    Out bush in 4wheel I can not fault it. Goes almost anywhere
    Don't get me wrong I love it but next time I will be looking at 4.2 TD .
    "Tonka Tuff" 08-GU6, 3.0lt crd, 5 Speed, Turbo Diesel, Hpd, Arb, Ome, MT Baja Atz.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, I have a 1998/2.8 GR/GU (Short WB) here in the UK, I love the engine and I agree with everybody else, pulling away is a little slow, but once the Turbo is spinning, and she's above 2000 rpm she's great, goes really really well, economy isn't bad for a 2.8 straight six turbodiesel (old school, none of this funny high-pressure direct injection stuff) I can't complain. As everybody keeps saying make sure it's really well checked over, and if you can get a mechanic friend to take a quick peek at the important bits even better. Good luck with the hunt, and hope you find what you're looking for.
    Zaid-M
    http://www.DefencePhotos.com
    1998 GR (GU) SE Shortie, 2.8 TD 6 Cyl.
    Full sized Tonka Toy

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got a 98 2.8 just love it ive towed a camper all over the place with it no problems yes there slow on take off but it suits me and as for off road pretty much unstoppable in low and now ive just fited 85% reduction gears ive fallin in love with it all over again

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast