Hardcore
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,196 Times in 881 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trekster View Post
    Wow, I've never seen so many open up about "it". I've been diagnosed since my 1st born was a few months old, she is now nearly 2 and a half, I've probably suffered longer but never really known it. I do now and I see the signs of it almost every day. The depression for me is one thing, but the anxiety is crazy, My head just cant let go of things and it really screw me up. I've been medicated for probably 2 years now and only take a small dose (20mg) it doesn't seem much but if I miss 1 day I can really see how bad I used to be: grumpy/agitated/restless etc.

I don't have many real friends where I am now, we had to move away from Sydney because it was getting too much for me (possibly the 1st real sign that I didn't pick up on) I'm lucky in a way as my father-in-law suffers from it, and my wife had been medicated for 12 years but she beat it and got off them to have our kids. Thank you for opening up this for everyone to read/post, Sometimes its just little things like this that help out.

Recently I've found tinkering in the garage/doing something with the patrol after dinner when the kids have gone to bed is good and gives me a bit of a release that balances things a bit.

I've probably just rambled of a whole heap of garbage here, and if it makes no sense at all forgive me

thanks guys!
    regards,
    Eric.
    G'day Eric,

Mate, there is no such thing as rambling of a whole heap of garbage! Just talking and expressing how you feel and having someone listen is always a positive step.

Regards,

RLI
    The halls been rented the bands been paid, time to see you dance!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the godfather View Post
    A while back I myself descended into a complete state of depression, and like you, I consider myself smart enough to read the symptom, Non the less I got so bad that I stood on the side of Old Mandurah Bridge in full motorcycle leathers and helmet and pondered the idea of ending it. I used to say that is weak, but when you are that depressed all logic leaves you. and 99% of my friends deserted me.
    Ill tell anyone a TRUE friend never deserts their friends
    If they arent there in your time of need,like a true friend should be, there just a using parasite

True freinds are there when we need them, as we are for them ,if it doesnt work that way, time for new friends
    I use the word friend loosely in a one way situation, there more users ,takers

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Depression

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodyaussie View Post
    Feeling better this morning... want to go shoot?????

Maybe Winnie for getting a TD42......

It's funny (not really) how many men are affected by depression, I knew it was a lot more than people admit and the aussie attitude of not showing weakness does not help.

I dont want us blokes to turn into a bunch of sooky lala's but there has to be a way in which we as a society know how to cope and help others that are affected.

It is usually the ones closest to us that dont know how to deal with it????

My kids drive me nuts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    It's not a matter of becoming sooky lalas (nothing directed at you bloody ) it's about what women have been doing for years, talking about it what's going on with us, going to the Drs etc.

We need to acknowledge what's happening and ask for help from friends, family, society and if you get the man up crap keep pushing back coz that's part of the problem, man up, big boys don't cry, we can't be vulnerable. Bulls droppings!!

If we as men can't push this stereotype back then we will be stuck in it and worse still our sons will too.

Rant over.

“The best way to cheer yourself is to cheer somebody else up.” - Albert Einstein
    ------------
    2008 GU 3.0 CRD Auto - Life's too short to eat bad food.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Drew For This Useful Post:

DX grunt (5th February 2013)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What many don't realise is that depression is a physical illness - it's not 'all in your head', although that's where the symptoms are manifest.

The various bits in your brain that do all the work are linked by synapses. The way these synapses work is to transmit signals via neurotransmitters, and the medium they use is chemical - when you are depressed, these chemicals are depleted, so the signals don't go through the way they should.

Seratonin and dopamine are the two main chemicals that need to be replaced, and there's two ways that work - anti-depressants, which don't 'make you feel good' as such but simply restore the levels of the chemicals, and exercise, which does much the same thing. One of the reasons depression is becoming more common is because of our sedentary lifestyles; lack of physical effort results in lower levels of these (and other) chemicals.

Quite simply, depression needs to be treated in the same way as you'd treat any other physical ailment. The only reason there is a stigma attached to depression is because it simply wasn't understood... I remember hearing of people having 'nervous breakdowns' and thinking that they just didn't have the ticker... how wrong I was.

The statistics are quite frankly staggering:

PROPORTION OF PEOPLE AGED 16-85 WITH A MENTAL DISORDER(a) - 2007

(a) Selected mood, anxiety and substance use disorders
    Source: National Survey of Mental Health and Wellbeing: Summary of Results, 2007 (ABS cat. no. 4326.0)

http://www.abs.gov.au/AUSSTATS/abs@....30March%202009
    1995 GQ TD42 NA

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Squalo For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (2nd February 2013), PMC (10th April 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,788 Times in 2,090 Posts
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    BA, I tried to get the guts to say this in another thread but decided not to.....thanks for starting this thread mate.

I have been suffering from depression/anger for 12 years, that is how long I have been on anti-depression medication.
    When I first started on the medication it was low dose but after 3 years I was on high dose and that was 8 years ago.

I have found that I still get agitated and angry very easy, but I decided to cut back on my dosage after all these years without speaking to my doctor and see what happened............I will just say that I failed and back on full strength as of 2 days ago and got a lecture from my doctor this morning.
    The cause of my depression/anger is that I lost my wife to lymphoma 9 years ago after a 5 year battle.

PLEASE, go and see your doctor and have a talk to him BA.
    If you want to talk mate just send me a pm with your number and I will give you a call.
    If any members require assistance in anything regarding this forum, just let me know via a PM and I will help you in any way that I can.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Woof For This Useful Post:

DX grunt (3rd February 2013), Plasnart (5th February 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,717 Times in 2,491 Posts
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This depression has just become for me all to apparent as one my sons best mates committed suicide yesterday at the age of 24, it has absolutely devastated his family and friends and has affected me as well as my son and Matty were inseparable until the young bloke moved to Perth to live with me and get away from the trouble they were getting into! Matty was a great kid with a huge grin all the time but obviously it was a cover for the real feelings he had, it's just so bloody sad to se these kids taking there own lives as it brings back the horrible feelings I had when my own daughter took her life at age 18 about 20 yrs ago. It's so sad that they feel they have no one to talk to or lean on, we all need to be more open about these sorts of things and I think this thread is good for those that need to express how they feel.

11. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Stropp For This Useful Post:

DX grunt (5th February 2013), jack (5th February 2013), Lonicus (5th February 2013), macca (5th February 2013), MC97GQ (9th February 2013), MudRunnerTD (5th February 2013), Plasnart (5th February 2013), Woof (5th February 2013)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stropp, there are no words... sorry for your loss
    1995 GQ TD42 NA

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Squalo For This Useful Post:

Stropp (6th February 2013)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So sorry to hear Stropp, can't imagine what you and your family are going through.
    2012 GU8 ST 3.0 CRD. Alloy bull bar, HID spotties, Pioneer GPS/CD/DVD head unit, Beaudesert 2.75" exhaust, Autometer Boost and Pyro gauges.

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do, kill people and damage property.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Lonicus For This Useful Post:

Stropp (6th February 2013)

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,277 Times in 3,275 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I could not even pretend to know what it's like to go through something like that.... my wishes are with you and your son.

I think there is a need for a thread or sticky or something letting people know where they can get help and encourage it so people dont try to keep it to themselves.....

I myself try not to burden my wife but maybe this is not fair on her??

I have been feeling good since talking about this openly and have set a new plan in place to keep me insight of the important goals!!!!

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bloodyaussie For This Useful Post:

Plasnart (5th February 2013), Stropp (6th February 2013), Woof (6th February 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,917 Times in 1,080 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There have been some or lots more accurately, of open, honest and heartfelt words written in this thread.
    Depression is a hidden leach sucking at the lifeblood of good people, thanks to Bloody Aussie starting this we have all had a chance to face our demons and hit that bugger of a leach with the aeroguard.
    Mate thanks so much, now it is openly talked about healing processes can start to fall into place.
    It is with awfull sadness I read thismorning what Stropp and his family are going through today and have also had to deal with in the past.
    Time is a healer but talk as in this thread is what winds up the spring in the clock.
    My best thoughts go out to you all.
    Cheers
    Macca

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to macca For This Useful Post:

DX grunt (5th February 2013), ova50 (5th February 2013), Woof (6th February 2013)

Page 6 of 109 FirstFirst ... 456781656106 ... LastLast