Page 51 of 109 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101 ... LastLast

Thread: Depression

Thanks
    Thanked 3,765 Times in 1,516 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In the last 20 years I've had three friends whose sons have committed suicide, all violently - one shot himself, one drowned himself and one hung himself.
    Absolutely devastated the families, as they were all found by family members. They ranged from 17 to late 20's in age and only one left a note - which didn't really make sense.
    For one there were some warning signs but so subtle they they didn't realise till after the event.

The families never recovered from it and all blame themselves in some form for not seeing it coming, if only they had come to the same realisation as your sister.
    Anybody out there contemplating suicide - there is a future and help available no matter how bad it seems.
    Cheers
    Jack

2012 Simpson 50th Anniversary Edition.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jack For This Useful Post:

DX grunt (20th June 2014), mudnut (20th June 2014), PMC (20th June 2014), snicko (20th June 2014)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 2,210 Times in 1,286 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I read a suicide note from a young soldier some years back. He went into great detail on why he was doing it and fare welled each family member. He also apologised to his platoon sergeant for what he was about to do. It still chokes me up thinking about it.
    1999 GU 4500 dual fuel

Il dado è tratto

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NP99 For This Useful Post:

DX grunt (20th June 2014), PMC (20th June 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,404 Times in 2,995 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One thing that can make a big difference to somebody who is feeling at the point of no return is to ask them if they are thinking of harming themselves. Sounds like common sense, but is not a question commonly asked, presumably because folk are scared of what the answer might be, most likely because they are worried they wont know what to say or do if the answer is yes.
    From experience in my past professional life asking the question helps. Letting go of the secret is often a relief. With it out in the open, the person doing the asking can provide a lot just by being there, & ‘hanging in’ with the suicidal person. Ask questions, How long, how often have you been feeling like this? How have you planned to kill yourself. i.e.. don’t try to minimise it by saying it’s silly, or that they are wrong & that everything is really ok. Hear them by being genuinely interested, AND be prepared to stay with them if either they or you don’t feel they are safe........ even if they tell you they will be ok, YOU decide, don’t just take there word for it........ for as long as it takes. Get help to manage their safety. Friends, family, professionals. It’s a big responsibility being a mate & if you shirk it, you might live to regret it. When my best mate told me he was thinking of killing himself I cried, right there in front of him, there was him feeling worthless & me suddenly vey fearful of losing him. Looking back I like to think that my reaction played a part in helping him understand that whilst he was feeling worthless that others valued him & wanted him around.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

7. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

93patrol (21st June 2014), cgm (20th June 2014), DX grunt (20th June 2014), Gecko17 (20th June 2014), growler2058 (20th June 2014), jack (20th June 2014), NP99 (20th June 2014), PMC (20th June 2014), rusty_nail (20th June 2014), snicko (20th June 2014), Touses (7th May 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,210 Times in 1,286 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cuppa, your last sentence sums it up for a lot that consider themselves worthless. There will always be somebody that loves you. Sometimes they haven't let you know...
    1999 GU 4500 dual fuel

Il dado è tratto

9. The Following User Says Thank You to NP99 For This Useful Post:

PMC (20th June 2014)

Hardcore
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,196 Times in 881 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rusty_nail View Post
    Furthermore to this, she recently did an interview for the Sydney Morning Herald, which is HUGE. she is also speaking at a Lived Suicide Experience Symposium next week at the Opera House. Pretty big stuff. check out her story below

http://www.smh.com.au/national/healt...613-zs6mr.html
    G'day, rusty_nail,

What a fantastic young lady she is. I echo Apollofish's sentiments' I bet you and the family are so proud of her!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kind regards,

Paul
    The halls been rented the bands been paid, time to see you dance!

Thanks
    Thanked 12,951 Times in 6,827 Posts
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IF YA DONT GET STUCK YA AINT TRYIN HARD ENOUGH........OR YA TOOK THE CHICKEN TRACK

WARNING: TOWBALLS USED WITH SNATCHSTRAPS DO KILL!!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to growler2058 For This Useful Post:

PMC (20th June 2014)

Hardcore
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NP99 View Post
    I read a suicide note from a young soldier some years back. He went into great detail on why he was doing it and fare welled each family member. He also apologised to his platoon sergeant for what he was about to do. It still chokes me up thinking about it.
    G'day Shane,

That's why you were a good Officer, you cared about your men!

Kind regards,

Paul

14. The Following User Says Thank You to PMC For This Useful Post:

NP99 (20th June 2014)

Hardcore
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa View Post
    One thing that can make a big difference to somebody who is feeling at the point of no return is to ask them if they are thinking of harming themselves. Sounds like common sense, but is not a question commonly asked, presumably because folk are scared of what the answer might be, most likely because they are worried they wont know what to say or do if the answer is yes.
    From experience in my past professional life asking the question helps. Letting go of the secret is often a relief. With it out in the open, the person doing the asking can provide a lot just by being there, & ‘hanging in’ with the suicidal person. Ask questions, How long, how often have you been feeling like this? How have you planned to kill yourself. i.e.. don’t try to minimise it by saying it’s silly, or that they are wrong & that everything is really ok. Hear them by being genuinely interested, AND be prepared to stay with them if either they or you don’t feel they are safe........ even if they tell you they will be ok, YOU decide, don’t just take there word for it........ for as long as it takes. Get help to manage their safety. Friends, family, professionals. It’s a big responsibility being a mate & if you shirk it, you might live to regret it. When my best mate told me he was thinking of killing himself I cried, right there in front of him, there was him feeling worthless & me suddenly vey fearful of losing him. Looking back I like to think that my reaction played a part in helping him understand that whilst he was feeling worthless that others valued him & wanted him around.
    G'evening Cuppa,

That's why you are a good man mate!

Kind regards,

Paul

Thanks
    Thanked 1,135 Times in 573 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You nailed it cuppa... was part of my old job to ask those questions too. Funnily enough, part of the 'new' career as well.
    2006 Ser IV GU, 6.5l TD V8 Chev with 4spd Auto, 3in Lift, 35in Kumho's, 12000lb winch, Nissan snorkel, Diff breathers, lightbar + Lightforce HD spots on roofrack. Built to go bush.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,951 Times in 6,827 Posts
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've done the MIC (mates in construction) inducted and connector training. They ask us to say suicide. "Are you thinking about suicide", not harming, hurting, topping, necking etc. Like cuppa said asking are you thinking about suicide can be the turning point in stopping someone or have them getting help/ speak to an expert.

IF YA DONT GET STUCK YA AINT TRYIN HARD ENOUGH........OR YA TOOK THE CHICKEN TRACK

WARNING: TOWBALLS USED WITH SNATCHSTRAPS DO KILL!!

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to growler2058 For This Useful Post:

Bloodyaussie (20th June 2014), cgm (20th June 2014), Cuppa (20th June 2014)

Page 51 of 109 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101 ... LastLast