Thread: Depression

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Depression

Quote Originally Posted by threedogs View Post
    It is a sickness as I've just been diagnosed myself.
    My BFF's look after me as will yours no doubt.
    Have never thought of taking the cowards way out
    But BA believe Me I know how you feel, for different reasons
    with the same outcome, Chin up PM anytime for a dribble
    I'm always up for a coffee and dribble
    ------------
    2008 GU 3.0 CRD Auto - Life's too short to eat bad food.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Drew For This Useful Post:

threedogs (5th February 2013)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Only have 2 BFFs but know a hell of a lot of people. maybe its just a sign of the shittey nanny world we live in.
    How I'd love to be able to see how my dad grew up. Car windows left down unlocked in the street, no drug problem like now
    only had to worry if uncle bob drank too much,those were the days my friend,It's sad they ended.
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

5. The Following User Says Thank You to threedogs For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (1st February 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,611 Times in 3,108 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Depression

Quote Originally Posted by threedogs View Post
    Only have 2 BFFs but know a hell of a lot of people. maybe its just a sign of the shittey nanny world we live in.
    How I'd love to be able to see how my dad grew up. Car windows left down unlocked in the street, no drug problem like now
    only had to worry if uncle bob drank too much,those were the days my friend,It's sad they ended.
    Thus why I miss the farm so dam much. You still can leave your cars unlocked, ride bikes when your young, drive when your 10, shoot stuff for fun...

Kallen Westbrook
    Owner of
    Westy's Accessories
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

Thanks
    Thanked 7,403 Times in 2,995 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BloodyAussie, you are not alone mate, that bloody black cloud gets around.

I worked all my professional life in mental health services, & reckon I have a pretty good insight into depression, it's causes & what folks find helpful in dealing with it ...... But this didn't help a jot when we got back from our round Oz trip a few years back. I sank into depression, thought about death a lot, although never seriously considered topping myself. I just never felt happy, never enjoyed previously enjoyable things, but smiled a lot trying to put on a 'brave face'. Even now if I don't have something to keep me occupied the negative thoughts & anxieties return. First thing in the morning between waking & getting up is usually the worst. I lay there 'catastrophising'. Getting up seems to help, as does physical exercise. I continue to look forward to the day we can set off on more permanent travel, everything else is just filling in time. Well not exactly, but that's how it feels at times when I get a bit down. At other times I recognise that we are slowly working towards making it possible, and this allows me to enjoy the present a bit more. Might sound like not much, but one of the best things where we live is the abundance & variety of bird life. It's one of the things that I generally find it easier to recognise & enjoy.
    Whatever your demons are try not to let them boss you around, & whenever possible give'em a good kicking by recognising that you are enjoying something you are doing. I give myself the same advice & sometimes manage to follow it.

With regard to going to see a doctor or any other professional SHOP AROUND! Their professional discipline (background) is far less important than finding someone with whom you 'click' & can trust. Different professionals 'fit' for different people. When I worked as a therapist some folk reckoned I was the best thing since sliced bread, & others thought me a waste of space. Just depended whether or not my 'style' fitted with their world view.

Best wishes,
    Cuppa

EDIT: I also meant to say that I really liked Mojo01's tappet analogy, & that it can take a huge amount of courage to lift the rocker cover 'cos we fear the worst about what we'll find. There is plenty of evidence in this thread already that we have a few rocker cover lifters here who summoned up the courage & didn't regret it.
    Last edited by Cuppa; 1st February 2013 at 03:11 PM.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

8. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

dads tractor (3rd February 2013), LaughingBeagles (30th January 2016), Lonicus (1st February 2013), megatexture (5th February 2013), MudRunnerTD (1st February 2013), ova50 (1st February 2013), ozzymalone (1st February 2013), patrol2.8 (5th February 2013), PMC (2nd February 2013)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great post Cuppa! I empathise with your situation, I haven't worked in the field but after a couple of go-arounds with the black dog and lots of time spent dissecting and trying to understand the illness, I thought I was fairly well insulated... but no, it got me again.

Exercise is working well for me now.

BloodyAussie, my recommendation is to avoid alcohol, it can only make things worse. Surprisingly difficult to achieve in our drinking culture, though, so maybe just a few ground rules rather than total abstinence is more feasible. Rule 1 should probably be no drinking at home by yourself.
    1995 GQ TD42 NA

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Squalo For This Useful Post:

AB (1st February 2013), MudRunnerTD (1st February 2013)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I take my hat off to you, Bloodyaussie, for bringing this to the fore.

Many years back we had lots of problems on the home front, a couple of our sons were out of control. The pressure and worry began to take its toll on both my wife & I. I began to sink into the worst state of depression, it effected my whole life, work family and friends.

By pure accident I met a man who owned a personal growth & development business. This man took me under his wing and spent a lot of time with me. It took a while for me to feel comfortable around him and the people he employed.

He taught me different ways to deal with situations and depression, and most importantly was how to recognise it, and how to get on top of it before it got to me again. IT was damm hard, but with his help and guidence I made it.

Today, I would be lying if I said I never get depressed. I do, however I am aware when it starts to happen, and are able to pull myself up and away from it.

Head up mate, as other have said, there are options available, doctors, some suburbs do have clinics that come under the health services scheme, that people can attend and often a minimal charge.

Regards and again, thanks for sharing.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ova50 For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (1st February 2013), PMC (2nd February 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Nissanpatrol.com.au hats off to you.

To the 30odd people that have responded so far - thank you

BA the strongest man in the room is the man that faces his demons head on. The better man is the man who asks for help and takes it when it's offered.

The character of the man is seen in the man who offers help to a friend without obligation or reward.

On a Bloody car forum on the Internet we have such men.

Goes to the character and foundation of this forum. Nice one.

Johnathan, your a good man, your well liked here and always welcome at my campfire bud. I also make kick arse coffee at my home in Lara.

On behalf of the other 250 members that have viewed this page who likely clicked on the title because in their own place they battle that demon thanks for opening the door. The 3 pages of advice will be read by those 250 in silence and they will receive the same level of support in silence. Maybe a few of them will reach out for help silently.

Thanks for being that stronger and better man.
    Last edited by MudRunnerTD; 1st February 2013 at 04:04 PM.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

14. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

Bloodyaussie (1st February 2013), dads tractor (3rd February 2013), DX grunt (1st February 2013), healy (1st February 2013), jack (1st February 2013), LaughingBeagles (30th January 2016), macca (1st February 2013), ova50 (1st February 2013), patrol2.8 (5th February 2013), PMC (2nd February 2013), Sir Roofy (1st February 2013), Sprock (22nd January 2016), Squalo (1st February 2013), Steve4wdin (1st February 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,240 Times in 752 Posts
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Bloodyaussie!

One of my friends is a doctor. Once he said an interesting thing:

"Life is a great thing if you take right antidepressants."

Its not important - mud racing, hunting, fishing etc until it can hurts you and your relatives, but gives you pleasure, it will save you from depression for a long time.

Be health and chin up!
    Last edited by Wine_maker; 1st February 2013 at 04:11 PM.
    I'm Alexander and I'm the happiest owner of GQ Nissan Safari in the whole Central Asia

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Wine_maker For This Useful Post:

threedogs (5th February 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    This should cheer anyone up West Indies all out for 70, feel the BROVE
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to threedogs For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (1st February 2013), DX grunt (1st February 2013)

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,277 Times in 3,275 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Darren......

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Bloodyaussie For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (1st February 2013)

Page 3 of 109 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast