Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Brakes

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lhurley View Post
    It's a 99 model so I don't know about the twin piston caliper. The brake shop said the hubs had to come off so I'm assuming that means its a single caliper? I was planing on doing the bearings soon anyway. Any recommendations for a good place to get a bearing kit (seals and all the front bearings)??
    Correct me if I'm wrong, doesn't the king pin bearing need to be pressed in? Or is that it's track that does? I just remember someone saying something similar. But hey I could be wrong.
    yes the hubs have to come off to get at the bearing retainers, the calipers have to come off aswell, yes the kingpin bearing has to be pressed on & off but you are only repacking them, it is not required for that, it is rare these fail anyway but has been known to happen, repack them whenever you repack the axle bearings rule of thiumb, will last a life time, as for bearings buy only Japanese branded bearings, you can buy the kits, 2 bearing & seal from any bearing shop or order it through an auto shop, Bursons usually carry them in stock, you can pay upto $120 a side but that is off the planet, I think I got mine for $60-70 a side, twas many moons ago
    2002 3L GU Patrol, 2" lift, 33's, snorkel, dual battery, sliders, DVD, bluetooth

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    DIY and as Westy suggests look at the slotted and/or drilled DBA jobs very affordable.
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,319 Times in 6,443 Posts
    Mentioned
    461 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Makes me think I need to start looking at doing mine. I need to reco my calipers though. RHS tends to drag a bit on the rotor. I need to find some second hand ones to reco myself then I can switch them over...

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by threedogs View Post
    DIY and as Westy suggests look at the slotted and/or drilled DBA jobs very affordable.
    As much as I like the idea of drilled and slotted, I'm detered by the fact that as soon as you go through some mud they get filled with mud. And once it's dry it's never coming out.

Thanks for the help guys, I really appreciate it.
    1999 GU DUAL FUEL 4.5 - 2" OME - 33's KM2s - SNORKEL - CUSTOM DINTS.... Goes by the name Candy (the car not me )

Thanks
    Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,041 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Brakes

Quote Originally Posted by lhurley View Post
    As much as I like the idea of drilled and slotted, I'm detered by the fact that as soon as you go through some mud they get filled with mud. And once it's dry it's never coming out.

Thanks for the help guys, I really appreciate it.
    Crossed drilled rotors crack under extreme heat, RDA have slotted and dimpled rotors work the same but only partially drilled

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi guys,

Any recommendation on the brand of the break pads?
    10x

S.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by threedogs View Post
    didnt you put the dimpled rotors in yours threedogs and had a wright up on them
    2007 GU 6 /ST-L / MYO8 / DIESEL/AUTO /MOONSTONE /pro vent 200
    OH LEATHER IS NICE

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dimpled rotors + ebc green stuff 6000 series pads on the front of my disc/drum ute made a significant difference. I may still add braided lines.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12