User Tag List

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: towball recovery !

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like the saying goes you can drag the horse to the water, some drink it some don't and then other just jump right in and drown, they were just lucky they only refused the water, by the looks of that strap I wouldn't even use it to tie my dog up.

Live life, Love life.
    Snatch straps on towballs can harm and/or kill!!!!!!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    People dont understand that Towing and SNATCHING are two completly different things, just because a car has say 3.5tonne towing Times that by 10% is classed as the "Downball Weight" so effectivly 350kgs....

SNATCHING FROM TOWBALLS is stupid, a lady was recently killed in geraldton infront of her 3 kids from a towbar breaking off the recovery vehicle, coming through the windscreen.... unfortunant event but it is seriously retarded.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Sad to hear but it still happens, was talking to some accessory fitters last saturday morning.
    From what I heard I would replace a towball every year if towing trailers on a regular basis.
    They told me they crack under ball and break. I'll ask BA about his and maybe do a crack test on it
    2 sprays. for what its worth seems most ppl buy the heaviest caravan they can to do the BIG LAP.
    just wonder what condition the towball is in after all the stop/start, to/fro, should be interesting.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by threedogs; 3rd June 2013 at 07:29 PM.
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Thanked 13,523 Times in 6,609 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Just grabbed this pic off Facebook..

This is the inside view of the rear wall of the Tray on a Trayback. He was trying to recover a Disco and the disco had a non rated recovery point on the front. I consider both vehicles to blame, the guy who took the pic complained that it was a pissy little loop welded to the chassis and this happened to his mates car as a result.... I question why he let the snatch get hooked up to junk in the first place.

step in folks if it does not look right this could have been a tragedy today

ImageUploadedByMotorculture1397915374.802696.jpg
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

Alitis007 (20th April 2014), Bloodyaussie (20th April 2014), cgm (20th April 2014), growler2058 (20th April 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,062 Times in 938 Posts
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That almost looks like cast alloy MR , WTF would anyone even have that on their car for anything ?

Helped some stuck folks on Teewah this week, Landcruiser stuck , 100% driver error, even the mrs said, "just go tell him to hop out for a sec ,so someone can drive it out for him"

Many of you will have seen it all before (as I have)........

Guy in stuck car "keeps on" attempting to drive out/spin wheels, even though everyone has told him to stop, its not working.

Guy in stuck car is happy to sit in car with window up, while everyone else does everything, including me digging his tyres out with my shovel.

The subject of tyre pressure receives no response from "anyone"

Another car in front reverses back to throw on the snatch strap ,(before ive even finished digging !), then proceeds to, yes throw it straight on the tow ball, I quickly explained how tow balls can snap and kill people when snatching, eventually, to my surprize, the guy came up with a different solution for attachment, (instead of the usual , "ive done it a thousand times", response) but he was starting to get a little snappy, so that's when we departed the immediate scene.

Two attempts they got out, would have been one pull, but first attempt ,the tow car looked like it just drove off, because the snatch strap just "fell off" the front of the cruiser before even looking like taking up any tension ! (hahahah)

I drove through it straight after at about 1200rpm ,using the same line going through his holes (lol)
    Last edited by 04OFF; 20th April 2014 at 09:16 AM.
    <a href=http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j320/02ard/PatrolcomAvatar-1-1.jpg target=_blank>http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j3...Avatar-1-1.jpg</a>

Thanks
    Thanked 6,883 Times in 3,670 Posts
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 04OFF View Post
    That almost looks like cast alloy MR , WTF would anyone even have that on their car for anything ?
    Looks like a standard steel tray side to me? Even has a tiny bit of rust showing.
    Hello from Under Down Under!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by taslucas View Post
    Looks like a standard steel tray side to me? Even has a tiny bit of rust showing.

Bwahahah, I talking about the "projectile" embedded in the side of the tray Lucas ! (lol)
    <a href=http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j320/02ard/PatrolcomAvatar-1-1.jpg target=_blank>http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j3...Avatar-1-1.jpg</a>

Thanks
    Thanked 6,883 Times in 3,670 Posts
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 04OFF View Post

Bwahahah, I talking about the "projectile" embedded in the side of the tray Lucas ! (lol)
    Hahaha oh yerp sorry my bad!
    Hello from Under Down Under!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to taslucas For This Useful Post:

04OFF (20th April 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,953 Times in 6,829 Posts
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry Steve I rekon its a standard shackle mate.
    Dumb arses either way!
    If it doesn't look right IT ISNT

IF YA DONT GET STUCK YA AINT TRYIN HARD ENOUGH........OR YA TOOK THE CHICKEN TRACK

WARNING: TOWBALLS USED WITH SNATCHSTRAPS DO KILL!!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to growler2058 For This Useful Post:

04OFF (20th April 2014)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by growler2058 View Post
    Sorry Steve I rekon its a standard shackle mate.
    Dumb arses either way!
    If it doesn't look right IT ISNT
    Yep, have to agree, after looking again (properly) it is 100% a shackle, ouch !

15. The Following User Says Thank You to 04OFF For This Useful Post:

growler2058 (20th April 2014)

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast