User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Cooper Tyres worth the money

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the pro comp extreme at's and can't fault them one bit of and on road. I have done around 70000 km and still have heaps of tread. Not as grippy in the wet as I would like on road. The bloke that sold me on them said that the coolers are warranted for the 75000 or so as long as you don't take them off road don't know how true it is though, he also said that the pro comps are warranted for around 65000 from memory. The Km's could be a bit out but would be around there from memory.

Live life, Love life.
    Snatch straps on towballs can harm and/or kill!!!!!!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 1,525 Times in 887 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cooper Tyres worth the money

Quote Originally Posted by krbrooking View Post
    The bloke that sold me on them said that the coolers are warranted for the 75000 or so as long as you don't take them off road
    I've heard the same but blows me away that such conditions would exist with OFF ROAD tyres. Weird stuff.

Tip tip tip......tap tap tap....

1997 GQ Patrol RX, TB42E. Mods: OME 2" lift, 33" BFG KM2'S, ARB winch bar & reconditioned X9 Superwinch, IPF 900 spotties HID conversion, ARB side steps and scrub bars, Kaymar rear step & spare wheel carrier & jerry holder, Rear 55W LED worklight, Safari Snorkel, 147L LRA tank, Extended diff breathers, dual batteries, GME UHF, Home built drawer and fridge slide, ARB 60L fridge.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Cooper Tyres worth the money

Quote Originally Posted by Robbomaz View Post
    I concur. My Mickey T MTZs are sensational all round but I'll be lucky to get 30000 from a rotated set of 6.......I dont spare the right foot but even so...!
    Quote Originally Posted by taslucas View Post
    Tyre opinions are always like opening a can of worms. Me and a mate both have the Cooper stt's and think they are great tyres. Dad and another mate run the Cooper a/ts without an issue.
    My brother has the federal couragias in 35" and they have less grip than my Coopers.
    Two other mates (with patrols) have mickey Thompson mtz's and while I reckon they are quite grippy, it's only because they're so soft. Man they wear down quick!

FanTapstic!
    ive done 35,000 on my 285/75/16 mtz's mosty bitumen driving and i still have 8-9mm tread left! im only doin a rotation of 4 tyres every 5k!
    i have noticed they are goin a bit hard tho.

cheers

Thanks
    Thanked 6,883 Times in 3,670 Posts
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Theses are my 33" cooper stt's with just over 20,000 ks on them. %80 bitumen, %15 gravel, %5 mud/grass.

Still look brand new. 16mm of grip left

EDIT: this pic is of the rear. I haven't rotated yet (well I did but then rotated back to where they started a week later-- trying to find the cause if a vibration).
    Oops I know I probably should have rotated them more but I'm slack. On the upside they are wearing completely equally from side to side

FanTapstic!
    Last edited by taslucas; 15th February 2013 at 05:28 PM.
    Hello from Under Down Under!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cooper Tyres worth the money

Well, it is good to see that most are happy with there brand of tyre, I feel a little disappointed for the guys that have had a bad run because we know none of them are cheap.... It is great to hear the differences of opinions we all have over the same tyres and how the quality varies.... I guess I am one of the lucky ones at the moment with tyres.

Scotty

7. The Following User Says Thank You to rottodiver For This Useful Post:

taslucas (15th February 2013)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having been in the tyre game for 6 years now its been my experience that people that like cooper tyres generally have only ever had coopers tyres on thier cars. Stay away from them I say, any 4x4 tyre company that voids the warranty if the tyre goes off road ain't a great one, BFG or MICKEY T all the way.
    GQ patrol TB42 bog stock at the moment but working some wicked mods

Just a bloke trying to live 1 track at a time

9. The Following User Says Thank You to matty_3977 For This Useful Post:

Drewboyaus (18th February 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,883 Times in 3,670 Posts
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by matty_3977 View Post
    Having been in the tyre game for 6 years now its been my experience that people that like cooper tyres generally have only ever had coopers tyres on thier cars. Stay away from them I say, any 4x4 tyre company that voids the warranty if the tyre goes off road ain't a great one, BFG or MICKEY T all the way.
    Well heres 4 people that have them on their 4x4s:-)

Quote Originally Posted by taslucas View Post
    Tyre opinions are always like opening a can of worms. Me and a mate both have the Cooper stt's and think they are great tyres. Dad and another mate run the Cooper a/ts without an issue.
    My brother has the federal couragias in 35" and they have less grip than my Coopers.
    Two other mates (with patrols) have mickey Thompson mtz's and while I reckon they are quite grippy, it's only because they're so soft. Man they wear down quick!

FanTapstic!

FanTapstic!
    Hello from Under Down Under!

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was thinking about changing to cooper after an upcoming trip to the gulf but swayed by a co-worker to steer clear. He claimed all is good with coopers until something goes wrong, actually getting a warranty claim out of them is like getting blood from a stone. So many conditions that they will void it easily. Not great when you pay decent dollars for them. As a result I am thinking similar to what others have posted, steer clear. My current tyres are BFG atr's, they are a great tyre, done 70k thus far and still couple ml tread left. I will be sticking with them.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G'day

If you love Coopers, that's ok for those who use them, but when I bought my ZD30, it had Coopers tyres. Found out a couple of times that they are definitely not good on the bitumen in the wet (especially high speed braking to avoid a roo or two). I suppose that is from the large lugs and hard compound.

I have heard (from the seller) that the latest Cooper tyres are much better, but still they are a harder compound than some others. Naturally this means longer life, but again, since most 4x4 do over 90% of the time on the sealed road, a less aggressive tread with (slightly?) softer compound, will be my next choice.

At this stage I am tending towards Bridgestone Duelers as I had the Desert Duelers on a twin cab Bravo 2500 for 19 years (yes, more than one set) and they worked very well in hot sand in the Centre, on the road and on muddy tracks around the top end. Got between 65-80k kms out of them. The only trouble I have had with them was when I tried to pump the tyres back up after going through some very soft hot sand. The pump stopped with the rears still down....130km at low pressures didn't help. Still, they didn't delaminate until about 10000km later.

See you

Peter

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you gave me cooper tyres for free, they would never go on my car. i would still rather pay for procomp, interco, simex, or maxxis. . . . . . Like i do. and yes, iv had all of them.
    Cooper = Fail. and the nitwits that try selling them on tv like "deeper tread means longer life" dont get me started.

There is an inverse relationship between grip and tyre life. its called compound. you want a tyre to last? make it out of solid steel. it will have very little grip but will last a bogteenzillion years. just like cooper.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast