Thread: vnt actuator on turbo charger

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

vnt actuator on turbo charger

just finished fitting my dawes and needle valve and all seems good. when fitting these parts i have noticed that the vnt actuator stop limiting screw on turbo charger appears to have been adjusted without me knowing. there is a white marking pen line down the lenght of the screw which does not line up any more. should i put it on a dyno or leave alone. boost levels and pyro are at safe levels
    any advice would be great thanks
    3lt GU 111 Wagon 2 inch lift,3in Taipan exhaust, cross country intercooler,catch can,EGR blocked, dawes and needle valve,Pyro/boost gauge ARB lockers,steinbaurer chip, long range tank, s/s water tank, draws, warn winch, and other stuff.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Needle valve adjustment is look at the turbo,with needle valve closed ,start motor and open needle valve.
    As soon as acuator moves lock off needle valve , 2000rpm = 10 psi, Chaz yellowfoot has great thread on this subject {archives}
    Getting it dynoed is not going to hurt just fine tuning, highly recommend
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i have set dawes /needle valve by chaz thread. what are they tuning? are they adjusting the variable nozzle actuator ? i did not think there is much to tune on the 3 litre
    3lt GU 111 Wagon 2 inch lift,3in Taipan exhaust, cross country intercooler,catch can,EGR blocked, dawes and needle valve,Pyro/boost gauge ARB lockers,steinbaurer chip, long range tank, s/s water tank, draws, warn winch, and other stuff.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its adjusting the spool rate of the turbo mate

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So are you saying that, the needle valve overides the VNT actuator, even if has been tampered with

Thanks
    Thanked 5,663 Times in 3,158 Posts
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Needle valve should control the boost and it's levels. Adjusting the vnt screw will help it boost sooner or later depending on which way it's been adjusted.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Agree with you not much you can do with the ZD30 but a dyno will get the most with what you have
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by june View Post
    So are you saying that, the needle valve overides the VNT actuator, even if has been tampered with
    The dawes valve controls the boost
    The VNT adjustment controls the spool up rate
    The needle valve when adjusted correctly takes over control the spool up rate making it more linear BUT can only make it slower than what the VNT adjustment will allow IF max boost is demanded.

IE, you have taken ECU boost control away and have 3 manual adjustments
    If your max boost pressure is to low or high adjust the dawes
    If your boost is spiking or coming on too quickly adjust your needle valve
    Your maximum (fastest) spool up is controlled by the VNT adjustment which ports more or less ehaust gas into the turbo. IF that has not been adjusted from factory you shouldn't need to touch it
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks guys. the only other thing that i am not sure of is how do you know what is a slow or fast spool up rate? i would think your needle on your boost gauge should rise smoothly not to slow and not too quick. is this correct?

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by june View Post
    thanks guys. the only other thing that i am not sure of is how do you know what is a slow or fast spool up rate? i would think your needle on your boost gauge should rise smoothly not to slow and not too quick. is this correct?
    ANYBODY please ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast