OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Thread: Rapid diesel performance chip - opinions?

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rapid diesel performance chip - opinions?

Hi all,

The 2007 3L CRD Patrol I just bought has one of these installed - http://www.dtsturbo.com.au/KAVPD12/R...-Module/pd.php

Does anyone have an opinion about them? Are they safe to leave installed (I'm more interested in reliability and fuel economy than performance now - I must be getting old!). Do they actually work as claimed?

If the general consensus is that these are not worth it, or even dangerous, can i simply unplug it, or is removal more complicated than that?

Thanks for any advice or opinions.

Cheers,
    Jaycee

P.s here's a photo of it installed.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 11,335 Times in 6,450 Posts
    Mentioned
    465 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Any place who tells you that you will get better fuel eco from any chip is kidding themselves. Maybe if your towing you might achieve a little better, little. But no way in hell you get better fuel eco.
    This is my 4th diesel, chipped all of them, none of them got better fuel eco after being chipped. They went better though. You want better fuel eco? I'd put a better exhaust on it over a chip also snorkel and block the EGR. A better breathing engine will always run smoother and on less fuel....M2cW.
    As for that brand of chip. Can't help you there. For the price they are asking i would personally go a known brand like DP, Steinbower etc etc.

Edit. I just realised you already have it installed. Leave it in then. They can be unplugged easily though if you want to toss it.
    Last edited by mudski; 26th January 2013 at 10:46 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,115 Times in 2,901 Posts
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rapid diesel performance chip - opinions?

I have a DP chip installed in mine with 3" exhaust, snorkel and blocked Egr.
    I did get better economy over the standard before fitting above. If its adjustable , test it out over 5 tanks if fuel with different settings to find the best for you in regards to a mix match of good power and better economy.
    2011 GU8 ST 3.0 CRD, ARB Bullbar with IPF spotties, scrub bars and side steps, Snorkel, Dual Battery system, Waeco fridge, Turbo Timer, ARB Roof Rack with 5 IPF spotties across the front, Custom full Leather Bucket seats, DPchip, 3" Taipan exhaust, ARE Intercooler & scoop, Autron EGT/Boost and dual volt gauges, ARB front locker.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,037 Times in 846 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rapid chips are sold by DTS, which are a reputable company - so hopefully should be OK

If you were buying new, my research has led me to Unichip and ChipIt, as the two preferred suppliers by comparing features and benefits.

You could unplug, and see how much difference it is making to the overall driveability of the vehicle - that will let you know if you want to keep it.

Mic
    GU PATROL 2011 Ti, with goodies...

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys. So can I just unplug it, and the car will run like original, or would I need to get it retuned?

Cheer,
    Jaycee

Thanks
    Thanked 11,335 Times in 6,450 Posts
    Mentioned
    465 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Just unplug it. May have to disconnect the battery first so the computer resets itself.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi guys,

I ended up removing this chip and am happy to lose a bit of power for a stock setup.

Is it worth putting this on eBay? If so, how much should I ask for?

Cheers,
    Jaycee