Thanks
    Thanked 4,880 Times in 3,231 Posts
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Drivers seething over stockton sand dunes

Time is never wasted when your wasted all the time

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NissanGQ4.2 For This Useful Post:

AB (24th January 2013), MudRunnerTD (23rd January 2013)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 5,663 Times in 3,158 Posts
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    This is becoming all to similar. I was speaking to a member on here about camping and driving on Double Island up here in QLD, it use to be free. I was up there the weekend just gone and for to drive and camp up there for 2 nights cost me $48. They have closed some of the beach off towards noosa and there is only 1 cut to access the beach.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeh all to common these days,

They have cut some access of to Stockton Beach already, below is a media release from NSW Environment and Heritage

http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/me...ia12092000.htm

Camping closures still in force at Stockton Beach
    Media release: 20 September 2012

Slower than expected recovery of the sand has forced the continued closure of beach camping at Stockton Beach Stockton Beach in the Worimi Conservation Lands following severe storms earlier this year.
    National Parks and Wildlife Service (NPWS) Hunter Coast Area Manager Mick Murphy said that the winter storms which lashed Stockton Beach and dunes, caused severe beach erosion and flooding to the camping areas.
    “While beach driving was possible at low tide the camping area is taking longer than expected to naturally rehabilitate”, Mr Murphy said.
    “At high tide some camping areas are still being inundated by sea water, and where some frontal dune remains the tides laps against the dune isolating these sites and physically prohibiting access”, he said.
    “These safety issues associated access are something we cannot ignore and as a result we have been force to keep the camping area closed for the time being.
    “The storms have really highlighted how important the frontal dune is in protecting the swale area from inundation, and it is important that we allow this dune to recover before we reopen the area to camping.
    “There is 26km of beach front and over 400 hectares of sand driving opportunities in the Recreation Vehicle Area accessed via Lavis Lane.
    “The dunes between the Anna Bay and Williamtown entrances remained closed to all vehicles.
    “These areas contain Aboriginal cultural material which was uncovered by the storms, and is yet to be assessed.
    “Visitors should also plan their trip to travel 2 hours either side of high tide, as erosion & drop offs remain along the beach, and it is likely the beach will become impassable and potentially dangerous at high tide.
    “To help with the natural rehabilitation of the area, people are reminded to keep all vehicles off the frontal dune, high dunes and grasses and other plants.
    “The rules are designed to protect the park and visitor safety and driving illegally in the dunes will not be tolerated and those caught can expect a fine.
    “NPWS officers patrol beaches in the park to ensure that people driving on the beaches are not driving illegally on dunes and vegetated areas, including back tracks.”
    For further information contact NPWS Hunter Region. Telephone 02 4984 8200.

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And from what I have read on Rothy's Faceache page sounds like they are trying to close off the Wattagans!!!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Rooth...769911?fref=ts

STOCKTON MEET UP CHANGE!!! Due to major interest the meet up will now be at PITT STREET RESERVE, KING STREET, STOCKTON still at 9am for a leave at 11am Saturday 2 February- that's the Stockton Foreshore which I'm told is much bigger. GOOD THING WE NEED MORE ROOM EH???? I'm being interviewed on Radio 2HD by RICHARD KING tomorrow (tuesday) morning 7.20am about Stockton closures, there's a lot of normal Aussies pretty upset about their loss of basic rights.

STOCKTON - couple of things - we're fighting for the Wattagans tracks too, and the rest of Australia threatened by Parks - including the ocean! - you don't need anything, just show up - we will hopefully have stickers and sand flags for a small donation (gold coin maybe?) to keep the protest going and to show unity. See you there please!!!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeh that would be the reel reason
    when do we get an aboriginal p.m.
    These areas contain Aboriginal cultural material which was uncovered by the storms, and is yet to be assessed
    2007 GU 6 /ST-L / MYO8 / DIESEL/AUTO /MOONSTONE /pro vent 200
    OH LEATHER IS NICE

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Question, Aren`t the aboriginies selling the sand from Stockton?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Steve4wdin For This Useful Post:

rusty_nail (25th January 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,997 Times in 2,911 Posts
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve4wdin View Post
    Question, Aren`t the aboriginies selling the sand from Stockton?
    there is a sand mine in operation at the rear of the dune park near Lavis Lane so yeah i think your right mate.

Quote Originally Posted by NissanGQ4.2 View Post
    And from what I have read on Rothy's Faceache page sounds like they are trying to close off the Wattagans!!!
    i have seen the damage at the dunes in pics n that mate, but to close the wattagans would be terrible! its just about one of the only places left in and around the greater sydney region thats left for 4wders.
    I got red dust in my veins.

Check out My Rig here: Broken

Pics of Forum trips I've Been on:
    Pizza at AB's - 2012 Knockwood - 2013 Krissos Place Australia Day - 2015 Pizza at AB's - March 2015 Pizza at AB's - May 2015 Dargo - 2015 Newnes - 2016

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rusty_nail View Post
    there is a sand mine in operation at the rear of the dune park near Lavis Lane so yeah i think your right mate.
    i think you will find that the sand mines have a lease or they are privatly owned,stockton beach is Worrimi land the traditional owners and run by national parks inconjunction with Worrimi land council.there is no camping at the moment due to large seas eroding the fore dunes,and i now the dunes size for driving is decreasing but the traditional owners have the right to allow what happens on the dunes .i can not see them closing the dunes all together ,its to good a money earner for them.

i have seen the damage at the dunes in pics n that mate, but to close the wattagans would be terrible! its just about one of the only places left in and around the greater sydney region thats left for 4wders.
    it would be a shame if they close the wattagans ,i have had too much fun there as a young bloke .The wattagans is part state forest,national parks and privatly own.But as usual it only takes one idiot dumping rubbish ,cutting down trees distroying the place to stuff it up for the rest of us.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yes there is one mine there in an area noone was allowed in anyway, it is Aboriginal land leased to Boral from memory, you can still play in the dunes & the front beach but cannot camp as all the camping areas including half of TinCity went under water in the June storm, the front beach has appx 20% left as it was washed away in the storm, it will recover in time but may take upto 12 months to fix itself, winter storms damage the beach, summer storms repair the beach but that was one mother of a storm in June & damage to the frontal dune was massive, South of Lavis Lane was hit hard & it uncovered many aboriginal artefacts etc, the swale areas (behind the frontal dune) were washed away as well. Cant wait to camp there again, just love waking to the sound of crashing waves in the morning.

As for the Wattagans, the new gates being fitted are part of a Plan of Management that was agreed to in 2009 & partially implemented in the last 12 months, the gates are to shut only when the tracks are affected by rain water & they dont want every Bill & Bob in there churning the tracks & stuffing for everybody else who doesnt own a comp truck, on Roothys facebook page it showed a pic of an track blocked by tree & boulders etc & saying this is what NPWS does to these tracks themselves when in fact that pic is from a track in the State forest section, misinformation was the big issue here, the rally did nothing for both areas, infact the Wattagans wasnt hardly mentioned when it was what the rally really was all about originally, Watagans doesnt sell magazines I suppose, many diillussioned & upset people after all of that, alot of my mates went to the rally, not one of them come back happy, many p^^sed with the totally unorganised organisers, the only winner on the day was the fuel companies, go figure hey
    2002 3L GU Patrol, 2" lift, 33's, snorkel, dual battery, sliders, DVD, bluetooth

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Morton For This Useful Post:

04OFF (27th February 2013), NissanGQ4.2 (2nd March 2013)

Patrol Guru
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Drivers seething over stockton sand dunes

Quote Originally Posted by my third 256 View Post
    yeh that would be the reel reason
    when do we get an aboriginal p.m.
    These areas contain Aboriginal cultural material which was uncovered by the storms, and is yet to be assessed
    Aka middens - or rubbish piles.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast