Thread: The 'mother' of all camping lists

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Damn, I use to think I was well equipped when camping ... apparently not
    Thanks for the list, I'll consult it next time I go camping.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,653 Times in 591 Posts
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great guide. Probably a few items on there that can be edited out though... Bull Bar? So far I have not managed to forget that. Perfect for planning though.

I would add a coffee maker in there somewhere. Have been spoilt of recent times and the old Blend 43 no longer does it for me.

Also, how about adding in the Live Bait aerator and bucket and a cast net to the fishing section?
    Last edited by FNQGU; 6th October 2013 at 09:18 AM.
    Between Patrols ATM. Had a beaut GU with 6.5 Chev TD. Next is a GU ute with a 4.5 litre Cummins conversion and a camper on the back.

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,653 Times in 591 Posts
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just thinking a bit further on this one.

Items for the 1st aid kit - sterile disposable scalpels. Have had to make use of these on several occasions to remove hooks or even serious splinters. Butterfly bandaids are also handy as is Calamine lotion, an antiseptic cream and burn cream.

For the tool kit - thinking on the jobs I have had to do most in remote areas - suspension comes to mind. Bearings usually, sometimes shocks or an inverted leaf spring on a trailer. Besides a good 3lb hammer, a steel drift or a brass drift is always handy, as well as a pinch/jemmy bar of some sort for leverage.

Changing tyres is the other usual which most of us are prepared for, however if the ground is horribly uneven things can get interesting and a standard bottle jack just won't cut it. The High Lift jack is generally great, but one of the best little add-ons for it are those 'jack mate' things that let you attach straight to the wheel rim to lift the wheel directly. If you have a lift kit or huge wheel articulation, then this is a really handy little device.

The other main jobs have been electrical. I note there is a soldering iron listed as well as a crimping tool and terminals. How about adding an alternative as a soldering blow torch or butane soldering iron, plus some assorted heat shrink. Plugging in a soldering iron isn't always possible. Wire strippers are also handy but most people can just strip wire with pliers.

I also routinely carry a roll of about 5m of some fencing tie wire that is soft enough to bind something together, but strong enough to hold a bit of weight. Oh, and the old Hundred Mile an Hour tape! That re-inforced stuff. Never travel without it.

The other one I have in the tool kit are two of those rubber / velcro wraps for radiator hose punctures. Have only had to use them once, but they worked a treat.

I have also given up on carrying a wheel brace and instead take a decent breaker bar and appropriate sockets for wheel nuts. Usually this is the 19mm and 21mm sockets.

Just my 2c worth. There probably a heap of other things but great idea to get a comprehensive planning list available for everyone to reference.
    Between Patrols ATM. Had a beaut GU with 6.5 Chev TD. Next is a GU ute with a 4.5 litre Cummins conversion and a camper on the back.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FNQGU For This Useful Post:

DX grunt (19th April 2014), qwertytank (24th November 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,835 Times in 2,012 Posts
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bump.

Just thought this would be handy for anybody interested in a list of what to take. lol. The list is not exhaustive.

Most of it fits in my pod. hahaha

Take care out there.

Rossco
    Winner of 'Best 4 x 4 ' at the 2017 Albany Agricultural Society Inc - Town n Country Ute Muster.

Ex Telstra - 2005, 4.2 TDi ute -with pod and more fruit than a grocery shop.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to DX grunt For This Useful Post:

oncedisturbed (25th March 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    just for the ease of pain it may give you or one of your travelling companions ,
    and from events at a recent fishing trip I have now included a bib/brace style back brace.
    Lets face it no one is getting any younger and any sporting injury from years ago WILL come back and bite you on the RRRRS
    EG::: the meet in the middle, what happens if someone throws their back out lifting a tyre onto the roof rack, that's a lot of sand dunes to get to the RFDS.
    well I've included it in my first aid stuff
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

9. The Following User Says Thank You to threedogs For This Useful Post:

Bob (25th March 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,835 Times in 2,012 Posts
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bump.

Take care out there.

Rossco
    Winner of 'Best 4 x 4 ' at the 2017 Albany Agricultural Society Inc - Town n Country Ute Muster.

Ex Telstra - 2005, 4.2 TDi ute -with pod and more fruit than a grocery shop.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great list Rossco, I was looking for ideas on things I may not of thought of and this has given me a few to go and ponder.

Some other items I have in my First Aid Kit are:

Glad Wrap for burns (putting Aloe Vera gel on then wrapping so no air gets in works well)
    Wart Remover to freeze ticks before removing

Handy 12v items: Vac Seal and camp oven (nothing like a hot pie on a cold day in bush!)

Cheers

T

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Better not show this to the missus, she already likes to pack the house for glamping trips, this will just stir up old arguments.
    2012 CRD 30TD Auto Wagon, 15L/100km | 2" KYB Lift | 3" Exhaust | ECU Remap | HPD boost control | Provent Catch Can | EGR Block | Bullet Snorkel | Dual Battery | Redarc SBI12 | Projecta batt Monitor | Auto Headlights | iDrive Throttle Control | NU3001 7" Android Stereo | Sound Deadening| Reverse Camera | Dashcam | Amp, 12" Sub | 300W Inverter | USB Chargers | Barn Door Gas Strut | Awning | Mods list shrinking

Thanks
    Thanked 1,577 Times in 911 Posts
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I take too much crap. Dunno how some people take so little either that or I just can't pack to save myself
    Lucus30's 1999 GU ST TB45E

Thanks
    Thanked 12,428 Times in 6,262 Posts
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lucus30 View Post
    I take too much crap. Dunno how some people take so little either that or I just can't pack to save myself
    Me an my mates used to take a swag, an esky and a frying pan in the back of our falcons and that was it.
    Now it's a bloody tent on a trailer and the trailer is full of gear and so is the car towing it!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Winnie For This Useful Post:

lucus30 (24th November 2015)

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast