OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: STEINBAUER Performance chips explained. One Anally retentive engineer found out.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

STEINBAUER Performance chips explained. One Anally retentive engineer found out.

Ok so being an anally retentive engineer, after installing one of the new STEINBAUER Performance chips on my mates patrol, i wanted to know just how these things works, so i rang the guys at STEINBAUER Australia, who by the way are a great bunch of guys who really know their product inside and out.

I wanted to ask a few questions about just how things worked, power adjustment ect et.

1) Each chip, for individual markets, are firstly mapped and individually programmed to suit each car and fuel type dependent on their region.

2) The chips work buy extending the injection cycle, once again, dependent by each model, to a predetermined programmed maximum time, in case of the ZD30 CRD, its about a maximum of 240ms at 100% throttle point.

3) The potentiometer inside, allows for an additional plus/minus 30% off the maximum, so if the 240ms if maximum injector time, you can add and additional 30% thus making the maximum time 312ms.

I was told that this setting, maximum, should only really be used with a bigger exhaust and prominently for towing, as it only increases power marginally but improves the Tourqe.

In most cases, the standard setting is good for standard cars ie: 12 o'clock position, with an exhaust you can use about 1:30 position which will give a nice boost but still use more or less the same fuel. Lower settings are mainly used when there are issues with bucking and the like under throttle load.

4) The chip will not work when factory cruise control is utilised, when cruise is used on the highway. The chip needs to be connected to the throttle position sensor wire as it is activated through this. The chip works by activating, or should i say, starts augmenting the injector length at about 40% throttle position, noting that the chip assumes 100% TP is 3.3V, which happens to be about 80% TP voltage output for the ZD30. In short, at 25% TP position, the chip will start to work.

As the factory cruise control uses a computer generated TP infernal to the ECU, when in cruise, the chip does not work. The minute the TP is depressed , the chip will kick in.

NOW, the thing is, if you order the chip through STEINBAUER Performance AU, you can have it re-programmed to alternative pick up the boost line or other inputs, this will need to be done on an individual basis.

5) The chips are reprogrammable, not sure if local dealers can do this or it needs to go back to STEINBAUER for this to occur, but they are reprogrammable.

6) The chip has inbuilt safety, which differs from car to car, based on what market the chip has been set up for. For the ZD30 and AU, the chip will operate at a maximum 100% power for 30 seconds and then begins to drop by 1% to a minimum position of 10%, so never off but reduced much to ensure EGT are within acceptable limits.

6) On a 4 and 6 cylinder engines, the order of the injector loom is irrespective, as long as you do not cross the injectors over, it does not matter if the injectors run staring at the front of the engine to the back, or from the fire wall to the front. The chip, once plugged in and initiated, sought this out. The only time this matters is in a 5 cylinder engine such as the Volvo engines.

7) The chip can use more fuel, and certainly on my mates patrol it looks like we may have dropped about 2-3% in fuel economy, but this may be a bit due to the initial fun factor, hopefully once the novelty wears off it will settle down.

I have no affiliation with these guys and the above is my interpretation of our discussion, but as i found little details on these chip, i figured someone else would like to know this info.

If i am out of line and not exactly 100% spot on, please let me know and i will correct it for future reference

Hope you all get something out of it as i did

Last edited by WogsRus; 18th January 2013 at 09:16 PM.
    SHINY AND NEW: 2015 Series 2 Y62 Ti in White. Bone stock, hate to say it but its the wifes car this time.

OLD SOLD:Silver 50th Anniversary Patrol, 2" Pro-Comp Lift, 32" MT ATZ 4 Rib, 9000lb Warn Winch, UH7700NB + BT UHF Brilliant. Ultra Gauge and some GO FAST bits........

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to WogsRus For This Useful Post:

bobryaner (8th February 2013), CorbinsGUte (1st March 2013), LaughingBeagles (6th November 2017), Lonicus (18th January 2013), MudRunnerTD (18th January 2013), Patrolowner (13th December 2018), rottodiver (10th November 2013), Steve4wdin (19th January 2013), The BigFella (5th February 2013)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

STEINBAUER Performance chips explained. One Anally retentive engineer found out.

Great info mate, thanks for looking into it.
    2012 GU8 ST 3.0 CRD. Alloy bull bar, HID spotties, Pioneer GPS/CD/DVD head unit, Beaudesert 2.75" exhaust, Autometer Boost and Pyro gauges.

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do, kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well written up mate. The information is spot on. Was supprised about the cruise control. I wonder if Diesel smart chips are the same. I must go and test.
    Steve

Thanks
    Thanked 1,037 Times in 846 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Wogs.....

I was also interested to find out that it doesn't work under cruise control.
    GU PATROL 2011 Ti, with goodies...

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great post... good research

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    IMO I think they are like most and just increase fuel as you go along,
    its the same story from every chip seller/designer. My DP is great at 5 but blows shite loads of black smoke on say 7
    that only tells me over fuelling, but it flies on 5 so for my 4x4 thats the "sweet spot" others may differ,. I use 15/100
    towing my camper which weighs 1.5t easy
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by threedogs; 19th January 2013 at 10:47 PM.
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    except DP chip plugs into the rail and the Stain plugs into each individual injector.
    SHINY AND NEW: 2015 Series 2 Y62 Ti in White. Bone stock, hate to say it but its the wifes car this time.

OLD SOLD:Silver 50th Anniversary Patrol, 2" Pro-Comp Lift, 32" MT ATZ 4 Rib, 9000lb Warn Winch, UH7700NB + BT UHF Brilliant. Ultra Gauge and some GO FAST bits........

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Thanks maybe they are able to map the fuel delivery and pressure easier that way. whats the price of them fitted??
    of all the chips the Steinbauer and DP seem to be at the top of the xmas list
    Last edited by threedogs; 19th January 2013 at 11:10 PM.
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,830 Times in 1,250 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You would be mad to pay for someone to fit it only takes 30min to fit the first time 15 after that

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They are about $1200 new for a stain, my mate got a new second hand one, from evil bay for $350 believe it or not, bargain of the century.

The DP chip is soooo easy to fit, perhaps 15 minutes tops. The Stain, is a also very easy but you need to be able to solder a wire as you need to pick up the Throttle reference signal wire, over all it took us under an hour once you know which wire it is and where to run the cable. We made the installation fully removable via plugs so that the power supply and the signal wire for the stain can be removed.

On a side note, don't over look chips like 'No Limits' and Race Chip, http://www.racechip.de/en/chiptuning, i have fitted at least two of these tpe of chips to different cars, one being a mazda 3, chip bumped it up from 380Nm to 490 Nm and 30kW extra at the treads.

If you are looking for a decent chip for the troll, i would use these guys, probably the pick of the bunch cos VS performance. ($450 AU delivered)

http://www.diesel-performance.co.uk/...s-(common-rail)

Their sale support is second to non, the company that makes then is from Germany and this also plugs into each individual injector like a Stain.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast