Thread: Pit Falls

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pit Falls

What are some pitfalls that you encounter when 4wd around WA especially into the Kimberly with a 98 GU? from camping to weight limits legal and safe.
    i am really looking to things that i need to be prepared for. not looking for the comfy ride or trip but safe and reliable.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Travel as light as possible with minimum L/T Construction tyres like ATs,tyre repair kit, enough water and spares ,might want to think about an EPIRB depending where your going 2 spare tyre carcasses.
    Not being local but couldn't you nearly hamburger your way with the odd cooked meal ?
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Thanked 13,495 Times in 6,598 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Sat Phone would be a winner mate.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,835 Times in 2,012 Posts
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For current fuel prices, try http://www.fuelwatch.wa.gov.au/fuelw...ages/home.jspx

I live in the bush and watch the GWN fuel watch, and I'd have to say, Exmouth has been the most expensive i've seen.

It's a good guide, with lots of servo's along the way.

Take care on your trip.

Rossco
    Winner of 'Best 4 x 4 ' at the 2017 Albany Agricultural Society Inc - Town n Country Ute Muster.

Ex Telstra - 2005, 4.2 TDi ute -with pod and more fruit than a grocery shop.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Any idea what longest between fuel stops is???????????????
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Thanked 1,326 Times in 805 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wouldnt be more than 300-500 km between them before you get to broome don t know after that

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,587 Times in 719 Posts
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As TD says travel light and at a reasonable speed. Weight and speed are the main causes of failure to complete a journey.
    Plenty of people tow vans into the Kimberly with out problems.If your traveling with others share the load IE don`t double up on tools ,spares cooking equipment etc. If by yourself then water fuel communications will be your main concern.I have a couple of rules I live by when remote traveling and they are .most things must have at least 2 uses and the old kiss rule that is keep it simple stupid

Thanks
    Thanked 3,835 Times in 2,012 Posts
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Winner of 'Best 4 x 4 ' at the 2017 Albany Agricultural Society Inc - Town n Country Ute Muster.

Ex Telstra - 2005, 4.2 TDi ute -with pod and more fruit than a grocery shop.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DX grunt For This Useful Post:

lorrieandjas (18th January 2013), wildgu6 (17th January 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.cuppa500.com/_Big_Trip/Archive.html Entries 29 to 38. Perth to Katherine. Not 4wd but potentially of interest

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    simple is soo the go, basic tool kit, spare hoses, belts, front bearings, seals & grease, dont forget the grease, so many do, a small amount of all oils, I keep mine in 'popper' drink containers, mark the top, not the sides or bottom, each trip away to anywhere will help you to get it simple, thus easy, I go away with my family of six & take one 2kg gas bottle for the entire w/e, can last me upto 4-5 days, yet I have seen others take a 9kg bottle for an over nighter, always have 2 containers of water incase one gets damaged, that is a given, only a fool takes one unless you like wee, I started touring on road bikes, basic & simple was totally required
    2002 3L GU Patrol, 2" lift, 33's, snorkel, dual battery, sliders, DVD, bluetooth

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast