Thread: Fuel consumption / economy report

Thanks
    Thanked 2,206 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nanango View Post
    For those interested in straight petrol fuel figures, I will be doing a 1500Km run in a EFI 4.2 (TB42E) 96 patrol next week and plan on keeping a close eye on the consumption figures. No towing, roof rack, and 95% of distance as highway miles. Will post the results towards the end of next week. I'm certainly hopeing they work out fairly good.
    G'day mate - just came back from a trip (through Nanango also) in mine - tb42e also - and about to shock the pants off everyone with the figures ... mine are already off it's that exciting!!!! lololol ...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Righto here goes: 2536 kilometres - 90% highway driving but flooded roads, rain (had to run air con as bloody hot and peeing rain), usual amount of roadworks from the previous flood damage etc - two passengers, me and the missus with about 40-50 kilos of luggage etc - tyres at 39 psi. Took things fairly easy, but stayed on average around 105 on the highway - 5 to 10k's less as a cruising speed and I could probably rip another half or more litre per 100 off the numbers. Did probably 60-65% of the trip on LPG.

So after a long battle of trial and error, and with O2 sensor replaced and snorkel fitted the day before we left, these are the averages:

LPG - 20.92 litres per 100
    Petrol - 17.94 litres per 100

Awesome is all I can say - still not the best figures in the world, but considering when I started looking into it I was getting around 24-26 litres/100 on the open highway (over 32-33 ltrs/100 around town), I am dead set stoked ... and I still have the extractors and 2.75" mandrel exhaust with high flow cat to go on yet - so these may improve even more ...

BigRig is a happy boy ...

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,137 Times in 1,001 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What size tyres are you running on? If you're on 33's like it says in your signature, having a second set of wheels with 31's on will bring your consumption down even further.

Tony
    Last edited by YNOT; 11th December 2010 at 10:44 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to YNOT For This Useful Post:

Bigrig (11th December 2010)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tony - thanks mate, had a second set and sold them off ... not too interested in swapping them over as I normally don't do that much touring/distance as a stock standard road trip (i.e. would leave the bigger tyres on normally as I'd only be covering k's to get to a 4wd destination where I'd want the bigger tyres). Pretty bloody happy with the numbers, and as said, will hopefully come down a bit (or at least give more kick) with the extractors and exhaust - my brother bought a 94 TB42e last week with them on, and it would dead set leave me for dead off the mark (that much of a difference) ...

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to ruin your day Big Rig. Picked up my Patrol in Canberra today and headed on up to Sydney. 296.7KM later I had used 44.68L - That equates to 15.0589 L / 100 Km. You recon you are stoked. No A/C, but with roof rack and just nursing it along between 95 and 105 kph all the way in the 110Km limit. No traffic.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nanango View Post
    Sorry to ruin your day Big Rig. Picked up my Patrol in Canberra today and headed on up to Sydney. 296.7KM later I had used 44.68L - That equates to 15.0589 L / 100 Km. You recon you are stoked. No A/C, but with roof rack and just nursing it along between 95 and 105 kph all the way in the 110Km limit. No traffic.
    Top stuff mate - my brother's new rig just returned 12.5 ltres per 100 on highway driving also, so my world was shattered even before I heard your good news!! lol ...

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tomorrow is a wander around Sydney then out to Richmond and up to the Central Coast. We will see what happens then. The next day, Central Coast to Coffs, but with the hammer lifted right off 85kph to 95kph to see what difference that makes. Then on Wednesday, a big one, Coffs to the Sunshine Coast then back trak and head out to home. Will keep the figures for each days run together with a total trip average. Still can't believe15L/100Km though. Maybee I did not fill it up properly when I hit Sydney, but the total trip average will tell all

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Look forward to the results mate.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nana..
    No doubt I've missed a post but are you running a TD or TB ?
    Col

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Col.T View Post
    Nana..
    No doubt I've missed a post but are you running a TD or TB ?
    Col
    TB42e mate ... same as mine ... hence my depression at his consumption figures straight off the bat!! lololol ...

Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast