Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suspected Cooked TD42

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Suspected Cooked TD42

Hi everyone, i have just recently had a mishap with my GQ patrol. I left the radiator cap off and warmed it up a little much. The main reason i am posting is to find out if anyone has rebuilt there TD42 using roodogs spares parts that are advertised over ebay. I need to either rebuild or replace my motor which for lack of a better word is f****d. I cant seem to find another motor worth buying in fact its very hard to find a second hand motor at all. The cost of a second hand motor is around the $2,500 mark but rebuilding would probably take it closer to the $4,500 mark even with a mate as a mechanic, considering the machining needed. I love my car to bits and need to get it going again!!

So any comments, prices, dealers, wreckers, experiences, etc that anyone wants to reccomend would be greatly appreciated. Located in Castlemaine Victoria.

Thanks in advance huey

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wow couldn't of just been idling. mate has done that for 30 mins with out a problem. think there might be about issue to you might to check out before new motor. keep an eye on eBay. mate got a td off there from sydney. 400000kms on it but runs fine with turbo n all now.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk 2

Thanks
    Thanked 1,037 Times in 846 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know someone that did a similar thing...loaded up for a big trip - to the other end of the country, and then did a last minute check on the radiator, and in the excitement to get going, left the cap off.

Stopped a few K's down the road, but it was all too late.

$5K and a couple of weeks later, they were back on the road.
    GU PATROL 2011 Ti, with goodies...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,037 Times in 846 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hope you get it sorted quickly
    GU PATROL 2011 Ti, with goodies...

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mate your better of buying another engine as your cooked engine will most likely have other issuses even after you rebuilt it
    TD42 turbo GQ - ironman snorkel - 4 inch flexy coils - 6" shocks - 3" straight exhaust - pyro and boost gauges in A pillar- uhf - winch - sunraisers - Bluetooth - spotties - front lokka

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Nothing wrong with ROO DOGS SPARES, they may sell a complete rebuild kit to suit your needs
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So I have pulled the big girl down now. Head seems good, and straight. Pulled all the pistons out and found that number 2 piston must have picked up in the bore in the moment of overheating. The piston is buggered, bore looks pretty ordinary too. Was just wondering if anyone has used a finish sized sleeve to replace existing buggered one instead of a semi finished one that requires finish machining??

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nothing wrong with finished sleeves aslong as everything is standard. i always use semi finished tho as any modifcation to the piston needs to be account for and then can be machined to exact size for the piston in it.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well i've done some ringing around and sorted out getting a rebuild kit with 6 semi finished sleeves then getting an engine shop to remove and fit them then machine them to suit. Another thing i was wondering while the engine is out what holes for turbo oil feed and return lines will need to be put in to accomodate a turbo in the near future. I am building this engine to suit a turbo during the rebuild. It doesnt cost too much more so why not.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got the block re sleeved and bored etc and have started to re assemble. All gone smoothly and there was only a week turn around on the machine work through HM gem in bendigo. The price tag for the new sleeves to be pushed in machined and honed, con rod bushes fitted and machined was $1670. That included all gaskets, orings, bearings, pistons etc. I was very happy with the price considering it was close to $3000 for a second hand motor that you really have no idea of its history. The kit comes with pistons with alfin ring grooves that can be used in turbo applications. So i guess i know what the next project will be...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast