Thread: The GoPro Thread

Thanks
    Thanked 2,062 Times in 938 Posts
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by megatexture View Post
    Shame it was overcast as it didn't allow the camera to show any of the ruts/ steps on that track. Shame to hear about the go pro being a nightmare to use, do you know Many people with them? And do they all have the same issues?
    Yeh it was actually raining a little, so hard to capture anything decent really, I knew you would know that track Troy, ive done it a few times before , but it was nasty on "wet" rock (lol)

Im used to the gopro now, and know what it can and can't do, ive also got a HD dash cam now, its in a fixed position, so will be able to capture stuff and know its at the right angle, and the battery wont go flat (also has a lower res rear cam, but the back window on a GU gets dusty so quick, a rear cam wont be much good off road)

When I ask people about their gopro, they always comment on how reliable it is "every time" the have used it, then I ask how often they use it ?, and the reply is normally ,oh about 2 or 3 times now (lol), know body seems to use one on a regular basis out in the feild, like every second weekend to capture everything exciting they may do, you don't see many people using them, or footage posted from a gopro, especially considering how many people have one, I mean, where's all the patrol action from the gopro owners on this forum, should be heaps of it, so I ask the question, why don't people use one when they paid so much for it ?

Mine will work mint in my lounge room, its when you get to the bottom of that really steep hill, every ones waiting for you, you want to video it, you need to set up the camera fast, that's when it will become a pain, and be more hassle than its worth wasting your time to get it up and running, so you end up giving up out of frustration.

Its a $500 camera, compared to any other electronics for $500 (cameras or otherwise) it is not that user friendly/reliable IMO.

If you can get it all set up, angled and working so you just have to hit record it works well, but, on standby it will eat the battery, so wont be long and you have to set it up again, these days I use mine in the same two locations (roof and drag link), this way I can guess the angle pretty well without any preview.
    <a href=http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j320/02ard/PatrolcomAvatar-1-1.jpg target=_blank>http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j3...Avatar-1-1.jpg</a>

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    TBH Im one pf those people who rarely use their go pros. In fact the last time i used it was when we did a night trip to glasshouse at the beginning of the year. Admittedly tho, that was the last time i did a big off road trip. Ive only done max 6 wheeling trip this past year. Id use my go pro more, but theres no point me filming my house just so i can use it.

I just pulled mine out the draw to see if it would set up easily, i have gotten a new phone and just wanted to see, it worked fine, less then 20 seconds and i had preview and was filming. Your welcome to borrow mine steve or troy and see how it goes, see whether its yours that is buggy or its a go pro thing. I doubt ill be going wheeling until next year so its just sitting here.
    1999 GU DUAL FUEL 4.5 - 2" OME - 33's KM2s - SNORKEL - CUSTOM DINTS.... Goes by the name Candy (the car not me )

Thanks
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We will do some trips early next year Lachlan, still keen for another sat arvo/night run @ GH, I will need you Troy or Mat to come (hopefully all) because ill get lost for sure
    <a href=http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j320/02ard/PatrolcomAvatar-1-1.jpg target=_blank>http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j3...Avatar-1-1.jpg</a>

5. The Following User Says Thank You to 04OFF For This Useful Post:

lhurley (7th December 2014)

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,830 Times in 1,250 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 04OFF View Post
    Yeh it was actually raining a little, so hard to capture anything decent really, I knew you would know that track Troy, ive done it a few times before , but it was nasty on "wet" rock (lol)

Im used to the gopro now, and know what it can and can't do, ive also got a HD dash cam now, its in a fixed position, so will be able to capture stuff and know its at the right angle, and the battery wont go flat (also has a lower res rear cam, but the back window on a GU gets dusty so quick, a rear cam wont be much good off road)

When I ask people about their gopro, they always comment on how reliable it is "every time" the have used it, then I ask how often they use it ?, and the reply is normally ,oh about 2 or 3 times now (lol), know body seems to use one on a regular basis out in the feild, like every second weekend to capture everything exciting they may do, you don't see many people using them, or footage posted from a gopro, especially considering how many people have one, I mean, where's all the patrol action from the gopro owners on this forum, should be heaps of it, so I ask the question, why don't people use one when they paid so much for it ?

Mine will work mint in my lounge room, its when you get to the bottom of that really steep hill, every ones waiting for you, you want to video it, you need to set up the camera fast, that's when it will become a pain, and be more hassle than its worth wasting your time to get it up and running, so you end up giving up out of frustration.

Its a $500 camera, compared to any other electronics for $500 (cameras or otherwise) it is not that user friendly/reliable IMO.

If you can get it all set up, angled and working so you just have to hit record it works well, but, on standby it will eat the battery, so wont be long and you have to set it up again, these days I use mine in the same two locations (roof and drag link), this way I can guess the angle pretty well without any preview.
    I only have one mate with one and he never has any issues with his but his is an old version possibly the first one, it's got me wondering if yours is faulty? Maybe you should try lachlan's to compare?

I'm still going on my front end(shock tower mounts new shocks superflex arm, all bushes and still to finish the brush bars) but come jan I should have a lot more time to crack the whip but I am keen to get back out there and start using it again

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a gopro hero 3 silver and my gopro does strange things if I shoot long videos. I have a few videos on you tube under 86macca of me on the bike and my old patrol
    Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward.
    Whoever cannot take care of themselves without that law is both.
    For a wounded man shall say to his assailant,
    'If I live, I will kill you. If I die, You are forgiven.'
    Such is the rule of honour.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I only have one mate with one and he never has any issues with his but his is an old version possibly the first one, it's got me wondering if yours is faulty? Maybe you should try lachlan's to compare?
    I don't think its faulty as such, I think its just the way they are, they should be called GoPro-Am (lol), look , I can hook it up right now at home, and I bet it will give me a preview without fail just like that, and it will all work perfect time and time again, I can also send and capture gopro footage onto my ph, but it seems to know the difference between testing, and when you want to capture some action in a hurry or when it really counts.

Id like a Hero 4 with a built in LCD screen, this would at least solve most of the preview issues, plus they have advertised faster wifi and pootooth as well, of course they also changed the battery design, so the 5 batteries I have for my Hero 3 wont work in it, so id need more batteries and chargers etc.

Think ill just see how the dash cam works out

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has the dash cam got decent vid quality?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has the dash cam got decent vid quality?

Front camera is full HD (1920 x 1080) @ 30fps

Rear camera is HD (1280 x 720) @ 30fps

It records non stop on a about a 12 hr loop (64g card) Its got GPS so I can access all the track info plotted on google maps/earth, plus speed etc

http://www.blackvue.com/en/contents/sub1.asp?idx=26

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I decided to go for the "Contour Roam 3" as opposed to the go-pro...it is water proof up to 30 feet without a case....is cylindrical , so easier to mount on the side of things without sticking out too far...half the price and very much competition to go-pro....but only time will tell for I haven't got right into it yet or have much knowledge on it...
    the one thing wrong with middle age ...is knowing you will grow out of it !

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 04OFF View Post
    Front camera is full HD (1920 x 1080) @ 30fps

Rear camera is HD (1280 x 720) @ 30fps

It records non stop on a about a 12 hr loop (64g card) Its got GPS so I can access all the track info plotted on google maps/earth, plus speed etc

http://www.blackvue.com/en/contents/sub1.asp?idx=26
    They look good what did it set you back? I like the one with 2. Ch and LCD built in

Do you know if the rear camera is waterproof? And what kind of plug has it got, it looks like a 2.5-3mm headphone plug?

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast