OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Steering wheel offset by about 15 degrees?

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudski View Post
    Dunno what thickness mate. Got it from RooDogs though. Its not the super thick one, what ever size that is but its thicker than the stock drag link so its better already. Even the guy at the shop told me not to bother with the thickest one they had their. 38mm sounds familiar. Unless your doing super tough comp stuff there is no need for it he told me. Not happy how the dampener connects to the drag link though. Kinda poor effort on their behalf I reckon.
    Hmmmmm... Not sure I agree with the advice you have received mudski? Regardless it will be better than a factory one so a legitimate upgrade for sure.

Here is my logic. The drag link is IN FRONT of the diff and is fully exposed to everything! By the time your front diff has taken a hit your tie rod is protected behind tHe diff but the drag link!! Not so! 4140 Chromoly for the drag link is the only choice. It will take a hit before the diff will and is probably the most exposed item on the car. You can sit your car on the drag link in deep ruts let alone a stump or rock in the bush.

Anyone looking for this upgrade should spend the money on the best you can buy for a drag link, spend less in the tie rod but spend the money n the drag link.

In order or priority and purchase for under chassis running gear upgrades on a GQ and GU are IMO, Drag Link, Lower Trailing arms, Tie Rod. All 4140 chromoly if you have the funds. Both my cars have these upgrades from Superiors and have never bent them never been let down with broken running gear.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,319 Times in 6,443 Posts
    Mentioned
    461 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I suppose it depends on what you do with your Troll. While I agree that the heavier is obviously stronger, chances are I will never need the heavier arm for my use.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it possible to change the steering wheel alignment at home?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by somersetj View Post
    Is it possible to change the steering wheel alignment at home?
    With an adjustable Drag Link certainly mate. Park it in the driveway wheel facing forward then adjust the drag link until the steering wheel is in the desired alignment.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!

The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi all! Searched through the forum and found this thread - I have the exact same issue.

Had a 2" lift done last week, plus steering dampener and wheel alignment, and found when I drove away that the steering wheel is off by say 15-20 degrees when driving straight.

Is this a bad thing i.e. can it put strain or pressure where there it shouldn't, and should I get it fixed asap?

Or is it just the way the steering wheel was put on?

Hoping the latter hehe

Any thoughts appreciated

Thanks
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RubberDuckieGQ View Post
    Hi all! Searched through the forum and found this thread - I have the exact same issue.

Had a 2" lift done last week, plus steering dampener and wheel alignment, and found when I drove away that the steering wheel is off by say 15-20 degrees when driving straight.

Is this a bad thing i.e. can it put strain or pressure where there it shouldn't, and should I get it fixed asap?

Or is it just the way the steering wheel was put on?

Hoping the latter hehe

Any thoughts appreciated
    Hi mate,

Firstly there is absolutely zero effect on your vehicle. The only reason you'd fix it is if the steering wheel gives you the sh1ts being out of whack.

This is caused by the lifted springs. As you put higher spring in the chassis lifts higher and the distance between the chassis and the diff is greater. This means the non-adjustable drag link becomes too short. The drag link connects the steering box pitman arm on the right to the swivel hub on the left side of the diff and IS the steering link. Now it's shorted and has dragged your steering box out of centre and the effect is the steering wheel needs to be adjusted.

If you have a GQ simply pop the steering wheel off and re fit in the right spot. In a GU with airbags it's a little tougher and a Drag link is the preferred method of adjustment.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

growler2058 (15th April 2014), RubberDuckieGQ (15th April 2014)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I seem to recall that when I lifted mine, the steering wheel rotated to the right. You could be incredibly lucky here since yours is rotated to the left before you lift it
    Steve
    2011 Patrol Safari 4.8 (Fitek)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey MudRunner, thanks a lot for explaining!

Good to know it isn't an issue - wouldn't want to drive around doing damage and we're heading to Warburton on Thurs so taking it back to the workshop before then would have been a pain.

Yep it's a GQ so might try to straighten it ourselves!

Thanks!

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good to see the experts throwing their 2 cents in on this thread.

The guys who did your alignment didn't do a "crap" job, they weren't "lazy" either, there is ONLY ONE adjustment on patrols and that is toe adjustment. It isn't even individual adjustment, its a bar that you twist in or out to adjust the toe on both wheels at the same time. you set the wheel straight and then adjust the toe as even as possible and then nip it back up. that's it, that's all you can do on them for a standard wheel alignment. Your crooked steering wheel NEEDS an adjustable drag link and that will fix your issue. Any work shop that says "just take the wheel off and re-centre it" doesn't deserve a single cent of your money for work on your car and I certainly wouldn't be taking it back to them. I have the same issue with my truck and I watched the guys do my alignment recently to be sure they did it right as I'm not it the tyre game anymore. There is no other fix than the adjustable drag link.

My knowledge comes from being a tyre fitter and wheel aligner for Beaurepaires for about 2.5 years. Be careful what advice you take off forums mate.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123