OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1995 Nissan Patrol Safari - Should I stick with it? If so; what needs to be done?

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1995 Nissan Patrol Safari - Should I stick with it? If so; what needs to be done?

Hey all - am looking for some advice so would appreciate any help.

I owned a land cruiser driver for ~4 years (80 series); served me extremely well, yet I recently sold it just for a bit of a change (also received an offer that I couldn't pass up)

I've always admired the look of the GQ Patrols. They have that real menacing look. Also I live in Dubai and the locals here swear by the Patrols to navigate the sand dunes.

So I just purchased a 1995 patrol. I don't have pics at the moment but will post soon. Some features:

- Long wheel base
    - clocked 400k on the odometer. however if they're anything like land cruisers should have at least another 200k in her, no?
    - Manual gear
    - No engine or body modifications that I'm aware of (although I'm not an expert in Patrols)

My main gripes so far (and why I miss my land cruiser):

- The fuel tank will not fill up more than 65ltrs. How is that possible? Can anyone tell me if this is normal or is something wrong with the car? What is the expected fuel tank size for this car? I really expected 90 at a minimum
    - The fuel usage is extremely bad. I am currently getting about 19litres per 100km! Not very good lol
    - Also when filling up, the needle will never hit full... it almost gets there but doesn't quite reach right up. Haven't explored yet if its a simple error with the gauge or something blocking the fuel tank from reaching its limit
    - The interior is completely messed up. I bought it from a UAE local and they have this strange habit of customizing the interiors with these god-awful materials and colours (just see the interior of this car for proof!! . If I am to keep it I need to re-do the interior
    - Body has a few dents and scratches.. not really concerned about that.

Now - I am not the most mechanically inclined (trying to learn, gradually). So can anybody here help me in answering the following questions (or at least identifying what information I need in order to make an informed decision):

• Is the fuel usage problem I am having common or abnormal? I'm worried that a) there is no fix, just have to live with it; or b) very expensive fix. I will take it to the garage this weekend
    • Without knowing the history of Patrols very well, have I selected a good model year (1995)? i.e. Should I give the car a chance or should I sell and move on (fully realise the bias of asking the question on this forum, lol)
    • Given the interior and minor exterior damage to the car; do you think its worth persisting with? If I keep the car, I would be spending a fair bit on modifications (bull bar; new suspensions, new tyres, considering an additional fuel tank - not sure yet... etc etc). So before committing on these modifications I'd like an informed opinion whether its a car that's worth it

----
    Final note: BIG Apologies for the long-winded post and for questions that may be ignorant! I purchased it for dirt cheap; am very interesting in getting to know the car better and your help / advice/ opinions will be much appreciated

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry I'm not sure how to edit posts. I just noticed that I wrote Safari in the thread title; whereas I don't actually think its the Safari edition.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gday,

Mate what motor dose it have in it??
    GU ST-L 4.2 turbo diesel Because reliability counts!!!!!
    Front Elocker and a Heep more cool stuff :-)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewy View Post
    Gday,

Mate what motor dose it have in it??
    Hey mate and thanks for the reply. Its a 4.2litre petrol engine.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here are some pics I've just snapped

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    pics part 2:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks tidy!! As for the fuel consumption I'd say its not far of right for the 4.2 petrol. I have not had much to do with the TB 42 but from what I have heard they are very thirsty!! Going from an 80 to a patrol must have been a shock on the interior lol I too went from 80 to Gu patrol but had to get top of the line just to be even close to matching the comforts of my 80 lol. But I so LOVE my troll!!! Hopefully some one with more info will be along soon to help!!

Just seen the other picks and wow that interior is a shocker!!!
    Last edited by Lewy; 13th January 2013 at 10:43 AM.
    GU ST-L 4.2 turbo diesel Because reliability counts!!!!!
    Front Elocker and a Heep more cool stuff :-)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Lewy For This Useful Post:

kingswoodmc (13th January 2013)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers mate. Yeh so far in terms of comfort the land cruiser wins out but comfort is not high on my list of priorities :P;

but the fuel consumption has been the biggest shock. For one, my old landcruiser came with two tanks that all up fit around 140litres. Actually now I think about it, its not really the fuel consumption thats the shocker - could just be the size of the tank. Firstly, I live in the land of oil so price of petrol isn't a top concern - its just not fun filling up every second day and I worry take it out in the desert and being stranded even with the jerry can lol.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewy View Post
    Just seen the other picks and wow that interior is a shocker!!!
    haha - yep. am thinking to rip it out then have hard plastic floors fitted in; and replace the seat covers. door and roof i may keep as-is

(if i keep the car that is :P - which is what i'm hoping someone here can help me decide ).

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haha yeah mate you werent wrong about the interior.

GQ2 hey 4.2EFI
    you need to lift that bad boy.
    Keep thread updated buddy

'92 (MIGHTY) GQ ST 3.0L Duel Petrol / LPG, 2" Pedders Suspension Lift on 33x12.5x15 BigHorns
    Lukey 2.5" Performance Exhaust with Extractors, snorkel
    Auto Lokka In The Front, Duel Batteries, Stiff Deep Dish Steering Wheel,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast