Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aluminium tool boxes touring setup

Hi guys
    i have had an idea running through my head for a while and wanted to see if anyone has any major issues with it or has seen anyone else do anything similar...

At the moment i have a very heavy (300-400kg) ute canopy that is a rhs fram construction with aluminium sheeting for doors, the weight includes 4 liftoff legs and the roof top tent on top. Apart from the weight the major issue i have is that it is very tall, the top of the roof top tent sits about 300mm above the headboard. It is 1800 wide and 1800 long, leaving useable space at the end of the ute.

I am considering getting rid of it and buying 2 aluminium boxes 1200mm long x 500mm deep x 700mm high. Then bolting the roof top tent to the top of the tool boxes, fit out the passenger side with a water tank and kitchen, and the drivers side with tools, clothes and recovery gear. On long distance touring trips i can move the 2 boxes 500mm down the tray and have a row of jerry cans with 2 spares on top along the head board. Plus i can fit 4 900mm long space cases between the 2 aluminium boxes.

My major problem at this time with this design are that i have heard that over lots of corrugations these tool boxes tend to flex in the wind, ending up with them work hardening and tearing out the bolts that hold them down. I am also unsure as the wether they would be strong enough to hold the weight of a roof top tent over corrugations and serious 4wd.

Has anyone ever had a RTT mounted to 2 aluminium tool boxes or know of anyone that has?

I am currently thinking that i might bolt some unistrut into each of the back corners and across the roofs....hoping that this might give enough structural stability to maintain their integrity??? Plus it would be a good start to a shelving/storage system.

Any ideas/feedback would be greatly apreciated???

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 4,664 Times in 3,125 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your theory is good but I wouldn't trust an alloy tool box with a tent on it.. they will flex and tear.
    Your best option would be to build a sub frame for your tent to sit on and your tool boxes under that, separate to the frame.
    Build in some Gerry can holders or make a for water or diesel that sits behind the cab..

You could always make a canopy to cab hight and mount tent on that to.

Kallen Westbrook
    Owner of
    Westy's Accessories
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi kallen
    Unfortunately at the moment I am a uni student so getting a canopy made the way I want is way beyond my means.

In regards to the subfram do you think that 20x20x2 rhs in a basic rectangle with gusset would suffice?

Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 5,663 Times in 3,158 Posts
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Every toolbox that sits on the back of a mine ute is ally. They are strong enough to hold about 300kg of weight in them and there is no reason why they wouldnt be able to take some weight. This is all if they are built accordingly though. I'll see if I can get a photo of a good setup like you are thinking of.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to nissannewby For This Useful Post:

harro959 (12th January 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,664 Times in 3,125 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by harro959 View Post
    Hi kallen
    Unfortunately at the moment I am a uni student so getting a canopy made the way I want is way beyond my means.

In regards to the subfram do you think that 20x20x2 rhs in a basic rectangle with gusset would suffice?

Thanks
    What's the weight of your tent? 20x20 is a bit small imo. Is be going a light wall 40x40 galv frame gusseted.

But as nissannewby stated if the boxes are built tough they could take some weight. But yea, how heavy is the tent?

Kallen Westbrook
    Owner of
    Westy's Accessories
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

8. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRAWesty For This Useful Post:

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nissannewby.. some pics would be great. I have noticed that there seems to be 2 completely different type of aluminum boxes. The cheap 1.5-2.0 mm mass produced checker plate variety at ~ $700 then there is the mine vehicle type ones that seem to be about $2k each. If you could take some pics that would be awesome pls. If like to know what makes them so strong.

Kallen... its the standard 1.8m2 size that cantilevers out... mine is an eBay cheapie at the moment but a Hannibal weighs ~60kg

Thanks for all the input so far

Thanks
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The mine ones don't use anything less than 3mm ally appropriately folded and gusseted if needed. I am chasing the photo up so hopefully can have it up for you sometime tomorrow. It might be an option could you get a canopy made up and just sleep in it without utilizing the rooftop tent? If you have a look in the members rides at my luxury ride, this is all I do set the back up with swag rolled out and a fridge and container for food and it's great. Have power for lighting in there and the fridge whichs makes it very easy to access everything.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Newby seems to be on the right track, what ever you use as a brace/frame cut a piece of conveyor or similar, as steel on steel/aluminium will only end in tears.
    draw up a few set ups and post them up here. I'm sure you'll get the right answer to what works and what wont
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Harro here are some pics. I really do like this setup. There are 2 spares at the ver front of the tray then the boxes. The rear section of the boxes steps down and the rooftop tent is mounted on this so everything is the same height.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Great set up but hate to get in and out of that late at night for a pee, but would make a pissaphone from a funnel and long hose.
    Good low centre of gravity too Newby well done
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

14. The Following User Says Thank You to threedogs For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast