Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Radiator fan

Hi everyone
    I have been doing a lot of driving recently in all the hot weather Victoria is having and being my first patrol I have noticed how often the fan for the radiator turns on. 35 deg day highway travel 5 gear fairly flat with a few hills and the fan is kicking in regular or even on most of the time. Is this normal? I don't have the money to afford a egt and boost gauge yet but wondering if others have noticed this or not. I have a 2012 gu8 common rail.
    I would have expected the fan to operate at the lower speeds as it does due to less air flow but thought at 100 klicks it would not need to operate.
    Thanks in advance.
    The list of mods is long, the funds are short!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I noticed same thing.

I get very little movement on the gauge but often get one fan starting up and both fans on hot days.

I'm going to grab an infrared temp monitor and check what temp it is

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2x fans. I only have one!! Only have the main fan which is run via the motor. Don't have any thermo fans for the air con like my old pajero had.. Interesting to see what others say

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can't comment on the fan cutting in as I haven't really noticed it on the last couple of highway runs, however on the Scangauge temps were around 90-91c.

Scangauge is a good bit of kit to keep an eye on things and pretty cheap for what it does. Doesn't do EGT but does boost, temp and quite a bit more.
    2012 GU8 ST 3.0 CRD. Alloy bull bar, HID spotties, Pioneer GPS/CD/DVD head unit, Beaudesert 2.75" exhaust, Autometer Boost and Pyro gauges.

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do, kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    not sure what vehicle you have as you havent mentioned it but are you running your A/C, the fan in the front of the radiator for mine is for the AC turn on the AC & the fan kicks in, that might be all yours is
    2002 3L GU Patrol, 2" lift, 33's, snorkel, dual battery, sliders, DVD, bluetooth

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Morton View Post
    not sure what vehicle you have as you havent mentioned it but are you running your A/C, the fan in the front of the radiator for mine is for the AC turn on the AC & the fan kicks in, that might be all yours is
    2012 gu8 common rail st. As mentioned above.. Yes with air con on and rear air con running as well. There is no fans in front of the radiator or air con radiator..

8. The Following User Says Thank You to macka82 For This Useful Post:

Morton (12th January 2013)